Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleague taking extra days off

Options
  • 24-02-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Thank you all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

.........in lieu of what?

If she's meant to work 40 hours a week and achieves that by the time she's going home Thursday, then many places may let her take the Friday as time off in lieu.

We need a little more information to comment accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Mrs Shrek wrote: »
    If you work a 4 day week are you entitled to take the day you don't work off in lieu?

A colleague has recently started a 4 day week and is under the belief she can do this. There is no HR just us and our boss. No contracts etc.

Without HR and contracts it is hard to say. If she is working 39 hours in those 4 days then I'd say it's fine. If she only does 8 hour days then she should only be paid for a 32 hour week.

If you work a 4 day week are you entitled to take the day you don't work off in lieu?

A colleague has recently started a 4 day week and is under the belief she can do this. There is no HR just us and our boss. No contracts etc.

If Monday to Thursday is your working week, you can't take Friday as day in lieu because it is not a working day. Is this what you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not really your problem tbh, it's your boss's.

If it impacts your work and leaves you overwhelmed on Fridays, then you need to say that to your boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mrs Shrek

Sorry for being vague I really don't want to out myself so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, this is getting quite confusing, but I'll try and figure it out. Your colleague previously did 38 hours (4 x 8 hour days + 1 x 6-hour day). And has now switched to 30 hours (4 x 7.5 hour days).

When your colleague takes a "long day" off, you do a full day's work to cover them.

Tbh, whatever about the hours, your boss is taking both of you for mugs. You're doing extra unpaid to cover statutory annual leave. You should either be getting paid for these hours or someone else should be hired.

It is typical in most jobs to "cover" your colleagues' responsibilities when they go on holidays - but not their hours.

I would go back to your boss and point out that there are going to be 24 days in the year where he has no staff for the afternoon.

This isn't really about your colleague's working hours at all, but rather about your boss taking the piss out of both of you.

On the face of your actual query - your colleague is correct. A "week" off for them is four days' annual leave, not five. So they have four weeks + 4 days annual leave available to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

^ +1

Your anger shouldn't be directed towards your colleague, but rather your employer.

Ok thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Please don't quote.

With the amount of time she works during the week, she is legally entitled to 20 days off. It's not really her fault that you'll have to cover her time off.

Edit: Apologies. Should have read the 'Please don't quote' part. D'oh…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

If you have no designated lunch hour on the short days, and 0.5 hours for lunch on full days, I am seeing the following hours:

You: 28.5 hrs/week
    Colleague: Originally 39 hrs/week, now 40 hours/week

Is this correct?

It may not be relevant - but since you were always covering each other's time off, you were always covering more than your colleague was, if I'm reading this right?

• Advertisement

It may not be relevant - but since you were always covering each other's time off, you were always covering more than your colleague was, if I'm reading this right?

It isn't relevant. It makes no odds to her colleague's annual leave entitlements. If she is working 30 hours minimum a week full time then she is entitled to 20 days leave.
    Calculating annual leave

There are 3 different ways of calculating your annual leave entitlement:

Based on the employee's working hours during what is called the leave year, which runs from April to March. An employee who has worked at least 1,365 hours in the leave year is entitled to the maximum of 4 working weeks' annual leave unless the employment ceases during the leave year. Many employers use the calendar year (January-December) instead of the official leave year to calculate entitlement
    By allowing 1/3 of a working week for each calendar month in which the employee has worked at least 117 hours
    8% of the hours worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks
    An employee may use whichever of these methods gives the greater entitlement. When calculating the entitlement, employers should include all hours worked including time spent on annual leave, maternity leave, parental leave, force majeure leave, adoptive leave or the first 13 weeks of carer’s leave.

An employee who has worked for at least 8 months is entitled to an unbroken period of 2 weeks' annual leave.

Whatever issues the OP has with the current working arrangements, it is not the fault of her colleague.

I am going to edit my posts now. Thanks for the input.

I am going to edit my posts now. Thanks for the input.

Just as an aside, if you're working 28.5 hours a week, you would be entitled to 20 days holidays as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Just as an aside, if you're working 28.5 hours a week, you would be entitled to 20 days holidays as well.

how do you work that out?

My understanding is that the statutory minimum is 8% of hours worked up to a maximum of 20 days(8 hour days) per year

daheff wrote: »
    how do you work that out?

My understanding is that the statutory minimum is 8% of hours worked up to a maximum of 20 days(8 hour days) per year

You have to work at least 1,365 hours in a year to be entitled to 4 weeks annual leave. If she works 28.5 hours a week, the OP would fulfil that criteria. I quoted how to calculate it from the citizens information site in one of my earlier posits.

Advertisement