Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage DIY Marquee Wedding

• 24-02-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

HI,

I know there are several threads on here about the pitfalls of having a DIY marquee style wedding BUT I want one!!!!!!

The Google machine isn't throwing much in the way of leads to vintage tents here in Ireland, plenty in the UK and in fact one will supply a tent on hire here for less than a conventional marquee from an Irish company even with currency and VAT applied!

My question is this........if I buy a vintage pole type marquee and some of the trappings is there a market here in Ireland for it? I have experience in big event planning and as far as I can see there is a gap in the market.

Other option is finding someone looking to partner up on the tent purchase i.e. we buy it and it does both our weddings and then we sell it.....simples! Half the cost in sort of a co-op type arrangement.

Anyone have any thought on this alternative approach?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Those pole tents have stays extending from them and pegs well above ground surface. They are horribly expensive to insure, so thats why you don't see them here. I you go ahead, you will have to insure the event, and you will probably have to give details of the tent then as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Have your tried Byrne's Marquees in Carlow, I think they supplied one to Lisnavagh house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Philurboots

I knew insurance would raise its nasty head!

Can you get it insured as part of your house insurance i.e. get public liability for a 'private' event at home or will they run a mile from a DIY job?

Who insures them?

sweetie wrote: »
    Have your tried Byrne's Marquees in Carlow, I think they supplied one to Lisnavagh house.

Ive actually been to a wedding in Lisnavagh. That tent is exactly what Im after. I thought they owned it. I will try Byrnes....thanks a million!

Ive actually been to a wedding in Lisnavagh. That tent is exactly what Im after. I thought they owned it. I will try Byrnes....thanks a million!

Cool! I know Byrnes were their recommended Marquee supplier when we got married there in 08 as we hired from them but they have a permanent one now. I only assume Byrnes sourced it, maybe give Lisnavagh a ring and ask?

Partnering is a good idea, maybe throw a thread up on Weddings On line and Mrs2Be?

• Advertisement

I might do that....new to this game and on a steep learning curve!!!

We had to hire everything at the time and even with the help of our planner/caterer it was a lot of work.

Yeah I realise that, not to be under estimated but a hotel wedding just won't do it for me. Not afraid of hard work!!! Thanks again for the steer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

To be honest I would say after doing a DIY wedding myself rent or hire the tent..

Great intentions and lots of people saying they will buy stuff after but most don't..... even wedding suppliers themselves..
    Now unless you can buy and then have somewhere to store it after and wait for the perfect sale...

There is a place extreme structures they do marquees they might be able to help you out..Plus as mentioned about with insurance you would not have to worry about any of this.. Unless you were having it in your back yard then you wouldn't have to worry as such...

Milly33 wrote: »
    To be honest I would say after doing a DIY wedding myself rent or hire the tent..

Great intentions and lots of people saying they will buy stuff after but most don't..... even wedding suppliers themselves..
    Now unless you can buy and then have somewhere to store it after and wait for the perfect sale...

There is a place extreme structures they do marquees they might be able to help you out..Plus as mentioned about with insurance you would not have to worry about any of this.. Unless you were having it in your back yard then you wouldn't have to worry as such...

Have a shed to store and not short on manpower to erect and take down.........what other pitfalls or no no's did you encounter?

• Advertisement

ah well sure if you can then why not...

MM things to avoid..

Too many people there to help is a big no no..
    Have people who you have assigned to do stuff and no other extras. While i was gratefull for everyones help..I was left with a pile of people asking me what they could do, which is great but it gets a bit ahhhhh...And then i felt bad as others were sitting around just looking at me waiting on me..Kinda like staring over someones shoulder..

If you are having it lets say more casual and doing the meal and drinks. Having someone there to herd people as such I would think is a must..You would be amazed at how hard it is to move people... So having someone there with a mike or a gong is worth it and to just organise things behind the scenes, even if it is a family membe or friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My cousin had a marquee DIY wedding and said he would advise everyone else to avoid it as a choice of wedding. He had a good team but it was a lot of work and meant he was completely exhausted on the day itself, then had to work again the day after to tidy everything away. He said if he had his time over he'd go for a more standard venue as it really wasn't worth all the work just to achieve a certain look on the day.

Was thinking all morning about this too..

Another one would be to sort everything out sooner rather than later... Make a big list of everything ye will need..Start with table settings and work your way around the room to see what is needed.

And the NO. 1 is trust your first instinct when you are going with suppliers..If you think for one moment mmm this is too good to be true or sure what can they mess up, don't use them. Believe me they can mess up a lot..

If by any chance you are down the Cork side or close and need a few suppliers names let me know. We done so much research into it anything to help just ask

It is all very doable just I would think have plenty of time to set up even two days if ye could and it can be fun just remember it is nearly worth while have someone to shuffle people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

HI,

I know there are several threads on here about the pitfalls of having a DIY marquee style wedding BUT I want one!!!!!!

The Google machine isn't throwing much in the way of leads to vintage tents here in Ireland, plenty in the UK and in fact one will supply a tent on hire here for less than a conventional marquee from an Irish company even with currency and VAT applied!

My question is this........if I buy a vintage pole type marquee and some of the trappings is there a market here in Ireland for it? I have experience in big event planning and as far as I can see there is a gap in the market.

Other option is finding someone looking to partner up on the tent purchase i.e. we buy it and it does both our weddings and then we sell it.....simples! Half the cost in sort of a co-op type arrangement.

Anyone have any thought on this alternative approach?

Try these guys http://www.silkroadtents.com/Marquee_Hire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Or these, http://www.lpmbohemia.com/ , couldn't think of their name earlier.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Was thinking all morning about this too..

Another one would be to sort everything out sooner rather than later... Make a big list of everything ye will need..Start with table settings and work your way around the room to see what is needed.

And the NO. 1 is trust your first instinct when you are going with suppliers..If you think for one moment mmm this is too good to be true or sure what can they mess up, don't use them. Believe me they can mess up a lot..

If by any chance you are down the Cork side or close and need a few suppliers names let me know. We done so much research into it anything to help just ask

It is all very doable just I would think have plenty of time to set up even two days if ye could and it can be fun just remember it is nearly worth while have someone to shuffle people.

Have an Excel done already!!!!

Looking at it the only contractors would be the caterers and serving staff. Everything else would be 'mates rates' or family. Taken on board what you were saying about a 'shuffler' and general coordinator.......hard position to fill as the people you know will be up to the task will probably be at the wedding anyway!

Sent them a mail but no reply to date. Have found a tent for sale in the UK for the same price as a rental! 10 year old ex-hire with all the bits!

Looking at it the only contractors would be the caterers and serving staff. Everything else would be 'mates rates' or family. Taken on board what you were saying about a 'shuffler' and general coordinator.......hard position to fill as the people you know will be up to the task will probably be at the wedding anyway!

Our caterer acted as that person for a bit extra, really helped a lot. Despite the extra work, I don't think either of us would change it, we loved the whole day and it was exactly as we wanted it. Pm me if you want her details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

castle leslie put a marquee up and do all the work for you.

castle leslie put a marquee up and do all the work for you.

Based in Kilkenny so a bit far to travel. If its a venue it would have to be Kildare/Carlow/Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Then rathsallagh house would be the one for you then. They have a marquee as well. Again, everything done for you. Grounds great, love playing down there, manager always brings us in a cup of tea. Top notch staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Whosthis wrote: »
    Or these, http://www.lpmbohemia.com/ , couldn't think of their name earlier.

That's who we are using, really recommend

Have an Excel done already!!!!

You need insurance if you do it yourself, that's quite costly

You need insurance if you do it yourself, that's quite costly

Got a quote from them.....steep! Found another company doing these types of tents called Silk Road Tents based in Kildare which were a bit more competitive.

Have you researched insurance, what companies do it? As far as I can see standard wedding insurance policies provide public liability if the wedding is held at home. Cant see any clauses about tents!

Oh thought of you after selling my own but if you are looking for hessian for decorations, try sacks.ie online they are great.. Best price around and do huge rolls

I think if you hire a company there'll be public liability included but if you buy you're own that'll need to be added on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I'm seriously considering a semi permanent tent (venue puts it up for the whole summer), has anyone experience with this kind of venue?

It's still DIY with catering decorating etc

I'm seriously considering a semi permanent tent (venue puts it up for the whole summer), has anyone experience with this kind of venue?

It's still DIY with catering decorating etc

Takes a lot of the extra work out of it for you but you pay a premium. Depends on your budget but any I have seen have been excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

sweetie wrote: »
    Takes a lot of the extra work out of it for you but you pay a premium. Depends on your budget but any I have seen have been excellent.

Any advice?? It does cost more for sure but I just don't want a function room wedding!!!

• Advertisement

If its what you want and can afford go for it!
    Any advice?? It does cost more for sure but I just don't want a function room wedding!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

I'm pretty much the same, I always feel claustrophobic in function rooms as most of them don't have any windows or natural light. I was half thinking about having a marquee wedding in my parents front garden but the weather more than anything put me off. We found a restaurant with accommodation that is closing the place down for us and has plenty of outside space for our guests to come in and out as they please. If you could find a place like this it would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

We had an at home marquee wedding - as did my sister and my brother.

It's a bit of extra work but I found it less stressful in ways as it meant that we were in complete control.

Our serving staff provided the herding - they were incredible. I highly recommend the Queens of Neon. They made me day the smoothest of the 3 weddings.

I would def have another marquee wedding tho make sure the people clearing up the next day won't be bitter about it!

Just a quick update.....

Decided not to go with the DIY option as found Martinstown House in Kildare. They basically had the exact tent we wanted. They can do the exact menu we wanted and have great reviews.

If you are after a quirky alternative to a hotel then check them out!

Thanks for all the help.

Just a quick update.....

Decided not to go with the DIY option as found Martinstown House in Kildare. They basically had the exact tent we wanted. They can do the exact menu we wanted and have great reviews.

If you are after a quirky alternative to a hotel then check them out!

Thanks for all the help.

Was there recently and really liked it, hope ye have a great time there!

Advertisement