Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prius buying advice

• 24-02-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭

Iv'e been itching to change car recently as I'm no longer doing diesel mileage. I had a Leaf on a 2 day test last week and much as I enjoyed it, the range and the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment (in this day and age...) were dealbreakers for me.

So I have been thinking about a Mk III Prius. I've been offered a very good trade in on Luxury spec against my 2011 Verso. I just wanted to know if there is anything beyond the ordinary that I need to look about for when looking at the car. Are they really as bullet proof as people say? Is the boot a decent size? My youngest is at the stage where we don't need a buggy any more, but still need something big enough for the usual family crap you lug around.

Comments

stimpson wrote: »
    Iv'e been itching to change car recently as I'm no longer doing diesel mileage. I had a Leaf on a 2 day test last week and much as I enjoyed it, the range and the lack of steering wheel reach adjustment (in this day and age...) were dealbreakers for me.

So I have been thinking about a Mk III Prius. I've been offered a very good trade in on Luxury spec against my 2011 Verso. I just wanted to know if there is anything beyond the ordinary that I need to look about for when looking at the car. Are they really as bullet proof as people say? Is the boot a decent size? My youngest is at the stage where we don't need a buggy any more, but still need something big enough for the usual family crap you lug around.

Yes they are pretty bullet proof. I had a MK II 2007 for 4 years, got it with 74,000 kms and traded it for the Leaf at 230,000 kms If I remember correctly, anyway it gave no problems at all and the MK III is just as reliable.

There have been instances where the battery has failed after 10 years regardless of mileage due to ageing, however a member here got one form the U.K and cost 500 Euro's.

It's actually a easy fix where there is usually only a serious group of cells that fail but as usual, there is nowhere you can get the battery reconditioned in Ireland and the cells are cheap !

However I wouldn't let that put you off, you can have a lot of issues with 10+ year old ICE cars.

Prius isn't for small mileage either, it's well capable of beating the economy of most modern 1.6 manual diesels that are smaller in size and power.

Boot is spacious , it's rather high but there is a compartment underneath at least there was in mine. I could fit an Icandy pram in it and a few other bits with no issue.

It's a good idea to have the auto box oil changed after about 160,000 kms, Toyota don't do this but they will if you ask them, in the U.S on the priuschat forum people have got the oil independently tested and it was recommended the oil be changed at this mileage. I believe the coolant is due a change then too which is not a DIY job, it's very difficult not to get it air locked !

Anyway that's the most maintenance you should have to face, brakes should last a long time due to the regen braking. Then the usual oil changes ever 15,000 kms and spark plugs around 100,000 kms if they fit the longer life ones.

There is no timing belt, in fact in the MK III there are no belts at all !

Post back if you get it for a review. I've gone to fully electric and love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It is indeed reliable, no issues in 3 years of ownership so far. Boot is quite small, to use space well you have to skip suitcases and just pack everything directly into boot. Having said that boot is significantly better than LEAF. Fuel economy is not great, it is usually around 47mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

The boot in the leaf was fine so I assume the Prius will be as good. The mileage is obviously the main reason for buying (and the lack of diesel). I would have expected better than 47mpg. I may have to think on it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

The boot in the leaf was fine so I assume the Prius will be as good. The mileage is obviously the main reason for buying (and the lack of diesel). I would have expected better than 47mpg. I may have to think on it for a while.

I drive a mk 2 and I've never got anything as bad as 47mpg - absolute worst I've got on a tank of petrol is 52mpg. Normal would be about 57mpg. The battery performs better during the summer and the best I've gotten from a tank is 63 mpg average. There is a driving style to be learned though to play to the cars strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Mid to late 50's ( 56 to 60 mpg ) is real world irish consumption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭ei9go

September1 wrote: »
    Fuel economy is not great, it is usually around 47mpg.

I don't understand how you can't get better than that, my average was 58-64 mpg in the MK II.

It's all about pulse and glide , this really helped me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

You'd have to try hard to get consumption as low as 47mpg imo. Once you get used to it, 60mpg is easy enough to achieve.

They are as bulletproof as everyone says ☺

I've never got lower than 55 mpg !

OK, I took one for a spin there at lunchtime. 5l/100km = 56 mpg, and that wasn't even trying (and also flooring it a few times to see if it moved without sounding like a food mixer)

They had an Auris Touring 'sport' in the showroom, which might suit the Mrs better (she's not mad about the Prius styling). Toyotas interiors have some a long way since I bought my Verso in 2011. I'm going to hit a couple more dealers on my way home this evening and see what's the best deal I can get. Both dealers I've been to had salivated over getting the Verso (apparently they are in demand). I've been offered pretty close to the asking price for my Verso on Carzone...

• Advertisement

You have to give it time to get used to it, you should be able to get 60-65 mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

OK, I took one for a spin there at lunchtime. 5l/100km = 56 mpg, and that wasn't even trying (and also flooring it a few times to see if it moved without sounding like a food mixer)

They had an Auris Touring 'sport' in the showroom, which might suit the Mrs better (she's not mad about the Prius styling). Toyotas interiors have some a long way since I bought my Verso in 2011. I'm going to hit a couple more dealers on my way home this evening and see what's the best deal I can get. Both dealers I've been to had salivated over getting the Verso (apparently they are in demand). I've been offered pretty close to the asking price for my Verso on Carzone...

Is a new model mk4 (2016 )out of the question if they're that hot on the verso and a bit of cheap finance ?

Bigus wrote: »
    Is a new model mk4 (2016 )out of the question if they're that hot on the verso and a bit of cheap finance ?

I would wait for the MK II Leaf in late 2017/early 2018. 300-340 km range and probably as cheap or cheaper than the Prius !

Most likely charge twice as fast from the fast chargers that will eventually upgraded to 100+ Kw.

The Tesla Model 3 should be available then too and it should bean incredible car costing much less than the equivalent performance BMW or Audi ! It will smoke any Leaf or Prius.

So I went to a couple more dealers on my way home today. The best offer was a shade over 10k against a new Auris Touring "Sport" Hybrid - Luna spec. That values the Verso at 17750 - exactly my asking for selling it privately.

Toyota Longmile told me not to make a deal until I come back to talk to them so I could probably bring it in for 4 figures. There was also a 2013 Tourer Hybrid which was ~3K to change. Not sure it's for me though - the new interior is nicer and has iPhone CarPlay integration.

So the plan is to take the kids and test both Aurii and the Prius and see where we stand, but if the Auris is big enough inside then it might swing it.

Ive seen a few Mk4s today, and while it's not as bad as I thought in the flesh, it's really not for me. The interior especially. Maybe it will mellow with age, but if the wife doesn't like the Mk3 then there is no hope.

Can't see a 300 mile Leaf in 3 years. It took them 5 years to increase capacity by 25%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I have to say that I hated the Auris, I have driven the petrol (1.33) and diesel (1.4) as loaners for a day each, both had decent enough engines for what they were but the interior was horrible. The dash is like a big upright cliff of cheap black plastic stuck in front of you. I would go with a Prius any day (and I did!).

Also, the Prius has a range of 1000km and takes about 3 minutes to "recharge" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Toyota dealers do a health check on the battery of the Prius for €50 would be worth getting this done pre purchase to see if everything is in order. As far as I know the battery is warrantied for 8 years or 100k miles.

https://www.toyota.ie/service-and-accessories/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-service.json

Can't see a 300 mile Leaf in 3 years. It took them 5 years to increase capacity by 25%.

300 kms , 200 miles ! that's coming 2018, that's just 2 years ! with other cars to follow, the GM Ampera-E perhaps also , aka the Chevy Bolt. Tesla Model 3.

BMJD wrote: »
    You'd have to try hard to get consumption as low as 47mpg imo. Once you get used to it, 60mpg is easy enough to achieve.

They are as bulletproof as everyone says ☺

When I put it on cruise control and 120 kph speed on motorways I get very consistent 47 mpg results, when I drive kids to school and some shopping and engine is cold most of time I get even lower results. I remember talking with someone and they told me they had way better mileage, but basically they drove longer distances overall. It really depends on pattern of usage.

Most cars allow saving a lot of fuel if driven in economical way, I managed to get 43 mpg on 2.2 petrol engine. I'm pretty sure if driven carefully OP Verso can deliver even better mileage than now.
    Was engine cold or warm? It make a lot of difference on short spins.

When I put it on cruise control and 120 kph speed on motorways I get very consistent 47 mpg results, when I drive kids to school and some shopping and engine is cold most of time I get even lower results. I remember talking with someone and they told me they had way better mileage, but basically they drove longer distances overall. It really depends on pattern of usage.

Most cars allow saving a lot of fuel if driven in economical way, I managed to get 43 mpg on 2.2 petrol engine. I'm pretty sure if driven carefully OP Verso can deliver even better mileage than now.

Was engine cold or warm? It make a lot of difference on short spins.

Best I can get from the Verso is 6.2l/100 - and that's with no aircon, at a steady 100km/h downhill with the wind at my back and using hypermiling tricks. It usually hits ~7.5.

I want rid of it anyway - I'm not doing diesel mileage any more and most of my driving is now in town. And the dash is horrible with the silver trim and the All Seeing Eye rev counter. The 2016 Auris dash is much improved - there's even a splash of leather under the glove box and a large touch screen. I'm going to drive one tomorrow with the family and see where we are.

Oh, and the Prius was cold on the test drive. The drive was also surburban driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

It is indeed reliable, no issues in 3 years of ownership so far. Boot is quite small, to use space well you have to skip suitcases and just pack everything directly into boot. Having said that boot is significantly better than LEAF. Fuel economy is not great, it is usually around 47mpg.

After owning a Prius for 11 years I concur that it was amazingly reliable and cheap to maintain. However, the boot on the Leaf seems deeper and bigger to me, and I can fit more suitcases now than on the Prius, which I have traded in.

I'm not doing diesel mileage any more and most of my driving is now in town.

The Prius is more than well capable of doing diesel mileage and you'll probably get better economy too than a manual Diesel of the same size and power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

The Prius is more than well capable of doing diesel mileage and you'll probably get better economy too than a manual Diesel of the same size and power.

Over 11 years of ownership we averaged 5.2l/100km in summer and 5.4l/100km in winter, living in Co Wicklow and commuting to Dublin and further afield. On long motorway trips in summer it dropped to 4.8l/100km.

When the battery started going, about a year before we replaced it, the fuel economy got worse by about 0.4l/100km.

Thanks for all the inputs folks. We drive both Prius and standard Auris Hybrid today back to back. We both preferred the Auris. The dash is cleaner, more conventional and the boot is huge on the Tourer. It's actually wider than the Prius too so space was about the same, maybe slightly less legroom. In fairness the Prius was a bit tatty. I sometimes think I'm the only one in this country to look after their car.

Anyway, I was offered another €500 if I ordered a non Touring by Monday for delivery in March so I rang a dealer I knew had one in stock and got him to come down by nearly a grand on his first quote, plus mats, flaps and boot protector. Did the deposit over the phone and will pick up next week. Now just need to choose between Denim Blue and Silver...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

I've never got lower than 55 mpg !

Come on?

Ever?

They don't even get 55mpg at 120kmh , even modern diesels struggle at that real world speed.

I have gotten 40mpg out of 1.9tdi's, it's called driving real world ( over speed limits at times ) and accelerating hard when you feel like it.

I like your posts but you are too positive all the time, everything is great.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Come on?

Ever?

They don't even get 55mpg at 120kmh , even modern diesels struggle at that real world speed.

I have gotten 40mpg out of 1.9tdi's, it's called driving real world ( over speed limits at times ) and accelerating hard when you feel like it.

I got around 40mpg when driving on German motorways near to maximum speed. It was only time I wished Prius had larger fuel tank.

thierry14 wrote: »
    Come on?

Ever?

No never, I measure the tank average not some silly trip measurement or I could claim 200 mpg over certain trips but that's meaningless because it's what you average over the tank is what matters.

My average was between 4.4 in Summer and 4.8 MAX in Winter.Lots pf pulse and glide, there were many small towns and villages I could go through without the engine on what so ever.

What I get on the motorway or in town is irrelevant because what matters is the average.

Resetting the trip computer while the engine is hot or in the middle of a trip is not going to be accurate, I've seen people come off a country road and reset the trip computer when they get on the motorway that is not accurate. What is accurate is not resetting the trip computer at all or taking tank readings.

Ok, I just took my first proper spin on the M50. I got it up to 100kph and put on cruise control. 4.1l/100km = 69mpg. Not bad.

Advertisement