Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally Tesla coming to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Test drives at Clontarf Castle in March. Gallery and service center due in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    Test drives at Clontarf Castle in March. Gallery and service center due in the summer.

I can sense your anticipation Cros13 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭oinkely

Will there be an i3 for sale later this year ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Not enough in the piggy bank :-(((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I say this here and now I'm going to get me one of the Model 3s. $35,000 retail price point is what they've announced, so that's around €32,000. I'm spending at the very least 80 a week on petrol so over four years that's half the value of the car. Take your motor tax etc into account then you're getting one of these beauties for around 15k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Jayop wrote: »
    I say this here and now I'm going to get me one of the Model 3s. $35,000 retail price point is what they've announced, so that's around €32,000. I'm spending at the very least 80 a week on petrol so over four years that's half the value of the car. Take your motor tax etc into account then you're getting one of these beauties for around 15k.

I hope you're right but a $35K car in the US won't sell for €32K in Ireland :mad:

But its still a few years away for us so start saving now

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

What's the difference between a Gallery and a Store? I presume we will be able to buy from Tesla Ireland and get vrt relief etc?

caster wrote: »
    What's the difference between a Gallery and a Store? I presume we will be able to buy from Tesla Ireland and get vrt relief etc?

I think in the US you can test drive and look at the car at a gallery but can only buy one at a store or put down a deposit, they have some strange car dealer laws in the US, it varies from state to state

nokia69 wrote: »
    I hope you're right but a $35K car in the US won't sell for €32K in Ireland :mad:

But its still a few years away for us so start saving now

Yeah I know I'm being hopelessly optimistic there. Am I right in saying that these will be exempt from vrt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'd read in the Indo today they'll start at circa €75k here. Can't find link - read it in the paper version

Edit http://m.independent.ie/business/technology/tesla-electric-cars-coming-to-irelandbut-youll-pay-over-73k-for-one-34481913.html

Refers to model s only, perhaps some if the smaller models will be available priced more reasonably

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'd read in the Indo today they'll start at circa €75k here. Can't find link - read it in the paper version

Model S/X orModel 3, i doubt the model 3 will be 75K here :-(

If the model s is 75k euro that's not far from the US dollar price. Hopefully that's going to extend to the model 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I think you'll be paying around 90k here for the basic 70D model S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I think you'll be paying around 90k here for the basic 70D model S

Nah.... you can import a 70D right now for that.
    When they open the store they'll qualify for the SEAI grant which imports currently aren't eligible for.
    They'll also sort out a more accurate OMSP for VRT purposes with revenue (the current OMSP revenue has on the books overestimates the value).
    Base price for a 70 (rear wheel drive variant) could end up around €75k with the 70D starting at €81-82k.

When they open the store they'll qualify for the SEAI grant which imports currently aren't eligible for.
    They'll also sort out a more accurate OMSP for VRT purposes with revenue (the current OMSP revenue has on the books overestimates the value).
    Base price for a 70 (rear wheel drive variant) could end up around €75k with the 70D starting at €81-82k.

I hope your right but you just need to look around Europe at their entry for a 70d. Italy is around 88K, granted they're Countries around Europe who're cheaper. When has this country ever been cheaper for cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Why haven't you bought a diesel if petrol is costing so much?

Electric isn't free btw, you will save compared to diesel but not as much as you think.

EV's use 20kw/100km, 20kw of electric is like 2 euro on night rate electric I have been told, diesel equivalent costs about 5 euro per 100km at current prices

Over a 400km weekly commute your saving 12 euro a week on fuel compared to diesel.

Model 3 at base price will have no better range than a Leaf of the same year imo.

You will still be charging every 75 minutes at motorway speeds, like a Leaf

Tesla don't have any secret battery tech that Nissan etc don't have, it might be quick though, 250bhp plus, that will be nice 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

thierry14 wrote: »

Electric isn't free btw, you will save compared to diesel but not as much as you think.

EV's use 20kw/100km, 20kw of electric is like 2 euro on night rate electric I have been told, diesel equivalent costs about 5 euro per 100km at current prices

Over a 400km weekly commute your saving 12 euro a week on fuel compared to diesel.

Model 3 at base price will have no better range than a Leaf of the same year imo.

Tesla don't have any secret battery tech that Nissan etc don't have, it might be quick though, 250bhp plus, that will be nice 😉

Free if you can charge at work thou!

Because right now my total running costs work out cheaper driving petrol. I bought a very nice 06 saloon last year taxed and tested for 1000€. Costs me nothing apart from fuel costs compared to a diesel. However if I was going to spend 35k I'd be buying diesel or as I hope electric.

I do lots of short journeys and that's why the high fuel bill. Loads of school runs and I do 4 15 mile runs a day to the office. Very very few times do I need to go outside of the range of one of these cars.

The Model 3 will have over 200 miles of range so it should be better than 75 minutes at motorway speeds

Tesla don't have any secret battery tech but they probably have lower battery costs than Nissan

nokia69 wrote: »
    The Model 3 will have over 200 miles of range so it should be better than 75 minutes at motorway speeds

Tesla don't have any secret battery tech but they probably have lower battery costs than Nissan

The higher spec model 3 will have 200 mile range no doubt, I would be very surprised if the base model for 35k does.

Getting that range at 120kmh, not a hope.

I think it will be quick too, 250bhp/550nm

Hot hatch pace

• Advertisement

Because right now my total running costs work out cheaper driving petrol. I bought a very nice 06 saloon last year taxed and tested for 1000€. Costs me nothing apart from fuel costs compared to a diesel. However if I was going to spend 35k I'd be buying diesel or as I hope electric.

I do lots of short journeys and that's why the high fuel bill. Loads of school runs and I do 4 15 mile runs a day to the office. Very very few times do I need to go outside of the range of one of these cars.

Agree totally

It's a fools game buying a 35k car to running to save on fuel.

I an sure your 06 petrol will run relatively trouble free for years saving you a fortune compared to buying new.

Free if you can charge at work thou!

Some are lucky 😀

My average for 2015 was 17.5 Kwh/100 kms. I don't know where you're getting 20 kwh/100 kms ?

Over 26,663 recorded kms by Nissan for 2015 (minus a few thousand km until I got carwings set up) I consumed 4,693 Kwh. Costing 391 Euro's . Some of my charging is done at peak times though.

BTW this isn't including the free public charging and the free work charging for 4-5 months. So I paid a hell of a lot less, beat that Diesel !

A 5.2 l/100 km diesel would cost at 1.10 C/L 1,524 Euro's for the same distance. That's a good bit of money to put back towards the car repayments.

The higher spec model 3 will have 200 mile range no doubt, I would be very surprised if the base model for 35k does.

Hot hatch pace

If I drive about 120-130 kph I will average 18-5 -19.5 Kwh/100 kms.

So say 19.5 Kwh/100 kms that's 320 kms or 198 miles , that's from 60 Kwh battery which hasn't been announced but you could expect a few kwh in reserve so knock a few kms off that but it's a good indication of expected range.

The other thing about this is that chances are by the time you reach your destination you will have increased your efficiency meaning you don't have 120-130 kph speeds available to your destination most of the time.

Anyway even if I "only" had 180 miles, at 130 kph I'd be more than happy if I can super charge that back to 80 % in 30 mins but no doubt some people will moan about that.

mind you 5K Vat and 5K VRT isn't going to make a huge difference to a 70D price !

Agree totally

It's a fools game buying a 35k car to running to save on fuel.

I an sure your 06 petrol will run relatively trouble free for years saving you a fortune compared to buying new.

You'd be saving quiet a lot of money on fuel compared to a similar performance ICE in Ireland and motor tax and some people would actually prefer the electric drive, it's vastly different and HP alone doesn't give you an idea of what to expect in an EV.

If someone is in the market for a new car and it happens to cost 35K on a car why not buy the EV ? You shouldn't underestimates someone's intelligence who chooses to buy an EV.

There should be no VRT on electrics if the Government are serious about reducing emissions, but they're not.

Hot hatch pace

The base model will have a 200 mile range, Mask has said plenty of times that Tesla will never build a car that gets less than 200 miles per charge

I do agree with thierry14 i the general case, that medium to long term,an EV on running costs will not be a useful exercise

what the Gov should do is move the inventive away from that to other things

Access to bus lanes
    free parking
    free toll charges
    no road tax

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    I do agree with thierry14 i the general case, that medium to long term,an EV on running costs will not be a useful exercise

what the Gov should do is move the inventive away from that to other things

Access to bus lanes
    free parking
    free toll charges
    no road tax

Free parking promotes abuse. if they were to implement this they would have to impose a max limit of 2 hrs.

As for "EV running costs will not be a useful exercise"

You bet your ass it is in a high performance car. Whether anyone cares about fuel consumption or not fuel bills + Motor tax savings would be substantial !

Not to mention the substantial VRT costs such a high performing car would incur here in Ireland !

I'd be surprised if the Base Model 3 starts at 35 K here even after VRT and 5 K grant.

Who knows, the Grant and VRT relief may not even exist in 2018.

I'd be surprised if the Base Model 3 starts at 35 K here even after VRT and 5 K grant.

Who knows, the Grant and VRT relief may not even exist in 2018.

I suspect Tesla Ireland will see it as a niche luxury market and will adopt suitable market pricing at that level

I suspect Tesla Ireland will see it as a niche luxury market and will adopt suitable market pricing at that level

What does a 3 series base go for these days, I mean of similar performance ? I bet it would cost a lot more than the Model 3.

I assume Tesla are trying to tempt A4 and 3 Series buyers. I hope they succeed !

What does a 3 series base go for these days, I mean of similar performance ? I bet it would cost a lot more than the Model 3.

I assume Tesla are trying to tempt A4 and 3 Series buyers. I hope they succeed !

If they've managed to tempt them in the US where gas is as good as free I'd imagine they'll sell like hot cakes here with our fuel prices.

I've driven almost every brand at some point or another but never even seen one of these outside of America. Wonder what the build quality is like compared to the traditional manufacturers.

I think they had some quality issues with the early Model S, which is to be expected IMO, but they have been improving all the time

I bet the Model 3 will a better car than any ICE selling at the same price, and I even think it will be better than any ICE selling for 10 or 20K more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I would be fairly confident that Irish prices will be broadly similar to the US prices - the Leaf is cheaper here than in the US (according to the Nissan USA site it starts at $29k). The Model S UK price is a few grand more expensive than the US prices if that's anything to go by. I'd say they will price it just under the 3 Series/C Class/A4/IS 300h/Jag XE starting prices, maybe €36-38k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The BMW 330e PHEV starts at €41,530 after the 5k grant reduction and 2.5k VRT reduction.

BMJD wrote: »
    I would be fairly confident that Irish prices will be broadly similar to the US prices - the Leaf is cheaper here than in the US (according to the Nissan USA site it starts at $29k). The Model S UK price is a few grand more expensive than the US prices if that's anything to go by. I'd say they will price it just under the 3 Series/C Class/A4/IS 300h/Jag XE starting prices, maybe €36-38k.

It remains to be seen what Tesla believe the market price that can be sustained here will be

sure Cros13 would pay anything :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

My understanding is that the price (before local taxes) is the same everywhere but also adjusted for currency variations every now and then. Let's hope the euro strengthens against the dollar.

BMJD wrote: »

The leaf was about 10 K Euro's more expensive here when it first came out than in the U.S. Not sure how it stands now.

The U.S price on the U.S Nissan site I don't think includes the rebates ?

• Advertisement

Free parking promotes abuse. if they were to implement this they would have to impose a max limit of 2 hrs.

As for "EV running costs will not be a useful exercise"

You bet your ass it is in a high performance car. Whether anyone cares about fuel consumption or not fuel bills + Motor tax savings would be substantial !

Not to mention the substantial VRT costs such a high performing car would incur here in Ireland !

People , like my brother, buying new high performance cars , don't really care too much about fuel costs. Generally they are enthusiasts and didn't buy the car to do high mileage driving.

They will buy electric when it out drags them away from the lights

People , like my brother, buying new high performance cars , don't really care too much about fuel costs. Generally they are enthusiasts and didn't buy the car to do high mileage driving.

It remains to be seen how this Tesla 3 will perform but I'm led to believe that the existing ones are rapid off the line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It remains to be seen how this Tesla 3 will perform but I'm led to believe that the existing ones are rapid off the line.

The high end Tesla S's have faster 0 to 60 then most supercars costing 5 times as much!

0-60 in just 2.8 seconds in Ludicrous mode!!

That is faster then the majority of Ferraris and Porsches! Never mind far faster then most of the BMW's etc. knocking around Ireland for the same money. However in fairness a BMW could probably do Cork to Dublin faster due to the Tesla not being able to sustain those high speeds over longer distances without killing the battery.

bk wrote: »
    The high end Tesla S's have faster 0 to 60 then most supercars costing 5 times as much!

That is faster then the majority of Ferraris and Porsches! Never mind far faster then most of the BMW's etc. knocking around Ireland for the same money. However in fairness a BMW could probably do Cork to Dublin faster due to the Tesla not being able to sustain those high speeds over longer distances without killing the battery.

But I know I'd rather do it in a Tesla...

The point I was making is that so what if someone buys the high performance Tesla ?

The running costs may or may not be a deciding factor in their decision to buy the Tesla, and so what if it does ? Why automatically assume that people choose to buy the EV because of running costs ? Some people may choose not to spend so much money on fuel tax or motor tax or VRT. Big deal.

bk wrote: »

What high speeds ? you can do 120 Kph max in Ireland legally. 2.8 seconds is just a reference to it's performance. Dublin to Cork in the Model S 90 Kwh is more than possible, 161 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What are the charging times and distance per charge on those?

Where Tesla can't yet match the German cars is interior quality and image and many BMW owners won't give up the image alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this fast - watch clock in top right

What high speeds ? you can do 120 Kph max in Ireland legally. 2.8 seconds is just a reference to it's performance. Dublin to Cork in the Model S 90 Kwh is more than possible, 161 miles.

Top speeds are irrelevant. 0-60 and 60-100 are the only really important factors in performance. Power off the line and power in the overtaking range are the only things most people will care about. Tesla have those in abundance.

Where Tesla can't yet match the German cars is interior quality and image and many BMW owners won't give up the image alone.

I dunno about that. I'm a BMW fan and used to work for them and I'd say in Ireland the Tesla will be more of a status symbol because it's going to be that bit rarer. It'll be a talking point for a lot of the golf club ilk. (providing you can get a set of clubs in the boot.) :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement