Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Club on Liffey - Recommendations

• 24-02-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

Hi there, husband not on Boards but I said I'd post for him! He is a keen fly fisherman and is now looking at getting a license for one of the clubs on the Liffey. We live in Dublin 4 and he went on the Dodder a couple of times but didn't find it a pleasurable experience! He is happy to drive any distance really if the fishing and conditions are good, what clubs can people recommend please? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

North Kildare trout and salmon anglers association has about 30 miles of the Liffey as far as I remember.
    Stretching from kilcullen down to sallins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

theres a flyfishing club in clane, theres also a club in leixlip, and dublin trout anglers have a stretch on the liffey as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks a million. He was in touch with the Dublin Trout Anglers Club today. I think it appeals because it's not too far to drive if he wants to go after work occasionally as the evenings get brighter. Any particularly good stretches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Merkin wrote: »
    Thanks a million. He was in touch with the Dublin Trout Anglers Club today. I think it appeals because it's not too far to drive if he wants to go after work occasionally as the evenings get brighter. Any particularly good stretches?

i wouldnt have a clue i dont fly fish, i was gonna join clane last year but decided on focusing on coarse fishing instead. theres meant to be a good lot of trout up there . the club in leixlip ur actually fishing the the rye river that runs into the liffey. Its a catch and release club so if u like eatin trout its not for you..haha.. As far as i know there two good clubs, you can fish the liffey in celbridge for free because theres no club there, theres some nice trout in it but during the summer you've got all sorts down there!!

i wouldnt have a clue i dont fly fish, i was gonna join clane last year but decided on focusing on coarse fishing instead. theres meant to be a good lot of trout up there . the club in leixlip ur actually fishing the the rye river that runs into the liffey. Its a catch and release club so if u like eatin trout its not for you..haha.. As far as i know there two good clubs, you can fish the liffey in celbridge for free because theres no club there, theres some nice trout in it but during the summer you've got all sorts down there!!

Cheers. That's why he wants to join a decent club....quite a few undesirables along the Dodder once the sun comes out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

If he wants some better spots along the Dodder away from the undesirables I'd be happy to share.

Yes please, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I can speak for the Leixlip club which I am in. They have a long stretch of the rye which is member access only and is nicely secluded. They also have a nice long stretch of the liffey now from the rye confluence down to Lucan Demesne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Yes please, thanks!

Sure send me a PM if you want with the spots he normally went and I'll put him onto a few different locations.

Everyone so helpful, thank you! I only go sea fishing with him which I really enjoy but fly fishing is his favourite. He is from London originally and is used to fishing in Leitrim and Donegal, I've tried to tell him the rivers around Dublin might not be quite as good!

• Advertisement

Everyone so helpful, thank you! I only go sea fishing with him which I really enjoy but fly fishing is his favourite. He is from London originally and is used to fishing in Leitrim and Donegal, I've tried to tell him the rivers around Dublin might not be quite as good!

The Liffey is one of the best trout rivers in the country, also one of the hardest to catch on though!

He joined the Dublin Trout Anglers and went down towards Celbridge today. River swollen and spent most of his day battling through undergrowth rather than getting much fishing done so I think he'll be looking for a new spot next weekend!

Do plenty of looking on the ordnance survey website map viewer before heading out, it has the best resolution aerial photos I've found and will give a decent idea of where to find paths, access and features.

He's big into his maps so I'll say that to him, cheers! Will be particularly useful given he doesn't know some of the areas particularly well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

He joined the Dublin Trout Anglers and went down towards Celbridge today. River swollen and spent most of his day battling through undergrowth rather than getting much fishing done so I think he'll be looking for a new spot next weekend!

Its not the best stretch for fly fishing really. Slow and deep above the reservoir and very overgrown. Access can be tricky/dangerous. I would look further upstream. Some good water there.

Advertisement