Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illness Benefit entitlement over - what now?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of a similar situation because the info I've been able to find hasn't really been all that helpful.
    Exactly one year ago today I injured my knee, (torn ACL, bucket handle tear in my medial meniscus, effusion on my knee and a sub-cortical cyst) and have been in receipt of illness benefit ever since (not at the full rate due to not working enough hours to qualify while I was in college).
    I am still waiting for surgery on my knee (provisional date 11 April) and my illness benefit has run out as I have only made 165 contributions - this only qualifies me for a year.
    I have tried to look into disability payments, but I don't think I qualify. The Citizen's Information page states that 'Disability Allowance is a long-term social assistance payment for those aged 16-65 with a disability expected to last at least one year' and I'm expecting to be back to work by the end of the summer, I'm also not what I would call disabled. I am however unable to return to work because it's retail which involves a lot of standing, bending, going up and down stairs and carrying boxes etc. My employer also won't accept me back to work until my knee is fixed (understandable - they don't want to risk me hurting myself more etc).
    Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation as me, or knows someone who was and could point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

Comments

Advertisement