Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord is not providing the furniture he promised at the begining of tenancy

Options
  • 24-02-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

We moved into a place last month and the landlord said he would provide furniture for us as the place was unfurnished when we saw it. He said he wanted to wait for the new tenants to see what furniture they wanted before buying any. We got half of it in before we moved in (because you can't live without a bed for example) but it was agreed that he would get the rest once we moved in. Well it has been over a month and the other half of the furniture is still not here. He said halfway through the first month that he would get some more of it within 10 days but it has been 3 weeks since then. We are expected to pay rent since 5 days ago but I felt a bit concerned about doing so without knowing when that furniture is getting here so I asked and he seemed non-committal about it saying that he should be getting it in 10 days again. He seemed like a fair guy but now we think he has financial difficulties or something and can't afford to get us the furniture. What should we do? Should we hold out on paying the rent until we get it?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Have you already signed a contract with the landlord?
    You seem to have been living there for the past few weeks but only paying rent for the past week?
    Did he give you some weeks for free or until he had furniture?

I'd have an honest talk with him and explain that you should not have to pay full rent if all the furniture is not there. Also get a concrete date when he will have the required furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Have you already signed a contract with the landlord?
    You seem to have been living there for the past few weeks but only paying rent for the past week?
    Did he give you some weeks for free or until he had furniture?

I'd have an honest talk with him and explain that you should not have to pay full rent if all the furniture is not there. Also get a concrete date when he will have the required furniture.

We moved in halfway through January and paid 1 X deposit and 1 X rent and signed contract when moving in. Second month rent was due a few days ago. Furniture was due 3 weeks ago.

My friend said the same thing to me as what you are saying: get a concrete date when he will have the furniture. That is what I tried to do by sending him an email saying that we are due to pay the rent but have not received the furniture and would like to know on what date it is arriving. He replied by saying that it should be there within 10 days. This may be acceptable to us had he not already said this 3 weeks ago.

so... what do you think? should we pay rent and hope for the best or demand a date for the furniture before paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Pay your rent!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP please do not open multiple threads at the same time. I am closing both, please pm me or one of the other forum mods with a decision on which one you would like to keep open

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement