Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comfortable but good looking walking shoes

• 24-02-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi girls

I'm going to Rome and I need comfortable walking shoes as I will be on my feet all week.

I was going to buy some of the Skechers slip on 'Go Walk' ones as they are super, super comfortable but sadly they are ugly as sin!

Do you have any other recommendations that are a bit better looking but just as comfortable?

I don't mind spending up to around €70.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The Skechers Go Walk are really only comfy as indoor shoes imo, Ive a couple of pairs and I get sore feet if I walk around in them much outdoors because they have a serious lack of support (for my feet anyway!). Theyre way too soft. I think they look fine though.

Can you give any indication of a style of footwear that you think looks ok?

I mean you could probably get great support out of things like Asics or New Balance trainers, but if you think the Go Walks are ugly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

The Skechers Go Walk are really only comfy as indoor shoes imo, Ive a couple of pairs and I get sore feet if I walk around in them much outdoors because they have a serious lack of support (for my feet anyway!). Theyre way too soft. I think they look fine though.

Can you give any indication of a style of footwear that you think looks ok?

I mean you could probably get great support out of things like Asics or New Balance trainers, but if you think the Go Walks are ugly.....

Oh that's interesting, thanks for the feedback.
    I like the style of Converse but sadly they are terrible uncomfortable for a lot of walking! I don't need something super stylish - I just really don't like the Go Walks!!!

No probs, Id wear them if I had to be in shoes all day but not with a lot of outdoor walking if you know what i mean? Theyre quite good traveling shoes as they are so light.

Actually, I really like my Skechers Go Runs although I dont know if they still do them. They have proper support.

I also quite like some of the Puma trainers:
    http://ie.sportsdirect.com/ladies/ladies-trainers#dcp=1&dppp=100&OrderBy=rank&Filter=ABRA%5EPuma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Don't worry too much about what they look like. I went to Paris last year with a nice looking pair of walking shoes and I thought I'd need my feet chopped off they hurt so much although that was mainly my own fault for wearing Penneys shoes and walking 74 miles!

Sometimes comfort just needs to take precedent over style. I invested in a white pair of Nike juvenates a couple of months ago and they're like slippers and look good with jeans as well as tracksuit bottoms. I love them the only downside is they're white and white runners and Irish winters don't mix too well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I disagree that Go Walks are only comfortable for indoor wear, I have two pairs and I live in them. I regularly walk the dog for miles and miles in them and they are super comfortable. The only slight drawback with them is they aren't waterproof at all. I agree with Wellyd, you will walk an unbelievable amount, I was in London last year and took what I thought were comfortable boots, my feet were in agony after the first day.

If you really hate the Go Walks, sketchers have other types of shoes/trainers that are really comfortable and might be more to your taste. What I like about sketchers is that they're so light, they're like wearing slippers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Personally I don't think it is a good idea to wear newly purchased shoes on a holiday where you will be walking a lot. All shoes need to be 'worn in'. In Rome, you will be on your feet all the time. The Roman Forum alone is a big walk, not to mention the Vatican. Wear nice trainers. Have you a pair already? Trainers are currently the go-to shoe for even the likes of Victoria Beckham and can be dressed up with some stylish clothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

You could look at 'comfort' brands like Ecco or Rockport. A word of caution though - not all Eccos are particularly comfortable. I have a pair of Ecco chukka boots that I've walked miles in and are very comfortable and supportive. I also have a pair of Ecco sneakers that are about as comfortable as walking with two rocks strapped to my feet. Horrible things.

New Balance 420s are quite nice looking also. I'm not a ladee but I think they look pretty cool.

5dd45317cf4cae5eadf9f1740697d636.jpg

Personally I don't think it is a good idea to wear newly purchased shoes on a holiday where you will be walking a lot. All shoes need to be 'worn in'. In Rome, you will be on your feet all the time. The Roman Forum alone is a big walk, not to mention the Vatican. Wear nice trainers. Have you a pair already? Trainers are currently the go-to shoe for even the likes of Victoria Beckham and can be dressed up with some stylish clothing.

I'm not going until September, but I wanted to buy something that I can wear here before so they are well worn in :)

I think I might try a pair of Skechers runners, they don't look as bad as the Go Walk and I'll get plenty of wear out of them here too with jeans.

You could look at 'comfort' brands like Ecco or Rockport. A word of caution though - not all Eccos are particularly comfortable. I have a pair of Ecco chukka boots that I've walked miles in and are very comfortable and supportive. I also have a pair of Ecco sneakers that are about as comfortable as walking with two rocks strapped to my feet. Horrible things.

New Balance 420s are quite nice looking also. I'm not a ladee but I think they look pretty cool.

5dd45317cf4cae5eadf9f1740697d636.jpg

Oh they look nice - thanks, I'll have a browse online at those now :)

ncmc wrote: »
    I disagree that Go Walks are only comfortable for indoor wear, I have two pairs and I live in them. I regularly walk the dog for miles and miles in them and they are super comfortable. The only slight drawback with them is they aren't waterproof at all. I agree with Wellyd, you will walk an unbelievable amount, I was in London last year and took what I thought were comfortable boots, my feet were in agony after the first day.

If you really hate the Go Walks, sketchers have other types of shoes/trainers that are really comfortable and might be more to your taste. What I like about sketchers is that they're so light, they're like wearing slippers.

Yeah I think that's what I'll do - all Sketchers seems to have great reviews, so I think a pair of trainers are the best option. Thanks for the feedback :)

• Advertisement

The Sketchers trainer have great mid foot support which I find great specifically for walking (I dont like them for running).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

As a few others have said, a comfy pair of runners can be dressed up or down. Bear in mind that it will be quite warm in Rome in Sept so it'll be shorts, skirts and bring a light long trousers or skirt plus a cardi or wrap if you are visiting the Vatican or any religious buildings. I was in Rome in Sept 4 years ago and I spent my days in shorts, string tops and runners. Wore linen trousers and a cardi the day we went to the Vatican.
    At night time I wore a pair of medium height wedges on my feet. Many of the streets and squares are cobbled so I'd leave the stilettos at home!
    Also if you are doing a day trip to Pompeii bring a hat as I found that the ruins were quite open and there was no shelter from the sun.
    Enjoy Rome, it's a fab city, I'm jealous of you, I'd love to go back!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    As a few others have said, a comfy pair of runners can be dressed up or down. Bear in mind that it will be quite warm in Rome in Sept so it'll be shorts, skirts and bring a light long trousers or skirt plus a cardi or wrap if you are visiting the Vatican or any religious buildings. I was in Rome in Sept 4 years ago and I spent my days in shorts, string tops and runners. Wore linen trousers and a cardi the day we went to the Vatican.
    At night time I wore a pair of medium height wedges on my feet. Many of the streets and squares are cobbled so I'd leave the stilettos at home!
    Also if you are doing a day trip to Pompeii bring a hat as I found that the ruins were quite open and there was no shelter from the sun.
    Enjoy Rome, it's a fab city, I'm jealous of you, I'd love to go back!

Great advice, thanks very much. I'm going in the last week of September so I'm hoping it will be getting a little cooler!
    I'm thinking I will take a pair of runners and a pair of walking sandals - trying to find a pair of those though that aren't vile looking is very difficult!
    I might just have to suck it up though, there's nothing worse than sore feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Wellyd wrote: »

Sometimes comfort just needs to take precedent over style. I invested in a white pair of Nike juvenates a couple of months ago and they're like slippers and look good with jeans as well as tracksuit bottoms. I love them the only downside is they're white and white runners and Irish winters don't mix too well!

Agree. I have the black ones and they are SO comfortable. The only bad thing is that they're not designed for rain, however hopefully that shouldn't be a problem in September in Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I walked all over Rome in flip flops, it's not that bad. :D

Anyway Teva do excellent walking sandals and not all are completely vile looking.
    http://www.teva-eu.com/en/women-new-arrivals/?icid=home_left_wbutton20160902

Advertisement