Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do HL English?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

So currently I'm in TY and I'm thinking about my subject choices for the Leaving Cert. Honestly I'm not the best at English but I think that I'm very capable with everything else. I'm almost sure at this point that I won't be counting it in my top 6 for scoring purposes.

Recently I've become aware of the idea that I could do Ordinary Level English and just focus on my other subjects. Should I go ahead with this considering I know I won't be counting it? And will this have any effect on my points and college choices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Definitely do it at HL at first - you'll always be able to drop down if you find that it's a burden. It's much easier to drop from HL to OL than it is to rise from OL to HL

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

emersyn wrote:
    Definitely do it at HL at first - you'll always be able to drop down if you find that it's a burden. It's much easier to drop from HL to OL than it is to rise from OL to HL

Ok I'll do that then but if I end up doing OL, does it limit my college choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

haiyna wrote: »
    Ok I'll do that then but if I end up doing OL, does it limit my college choices?

The vast majority of college courses will just require OL English for admission and it doesn't have to be counted in your points.

shluachra wrote:
    The vast majority of college courses will just require OL English for admission and it doesn't have to be counted in your points.

OK then thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,190 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

However, having done HL English and being able to write well will certainly help in writing a thesis or college essays of any high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Start in higher, it's easier to drop down then go up.
    I sat OL English for Junior Cert and I'm currently doing HL for Leaving Cert, with a C1in my mock.
    English is made out to be harder than it actually is, a reasonable level of English, quotes and answering the question asked can get you a C, possibly a B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Do higher at the start. If you can't handle it, drop down. You can't go from ordinary to higher. It's not even a hard subject. I got a B1 quite easily.

TheBiz wrote:
    Start in higher, it's easier to drop down then go up. I sat OL English for Junior Cert and I'm currently doing HL for Leaving Cert, with a C1in my mock. English is made out to be harder than it actually is, a reasonable level of English, quotes and answering the question asked can get you a C, possibly a B.

Elemonator wrote:
    Do higher at the start. If you can't handle it, drop down. You can't go from ordinary to higher. It's not even a hard subject. I got a B1 quite easily.

Guys I'm a B/C student in English and in other subjects I can easily get H1's so what's the point in getting a H3 and studying really hard for it if I can study for something else instead and know that I have a much better chance of getting a H1 in it.

Honestly I'm looking at doing something like medicine or dentistry so what's the use in getting a low H3 in English when I need at least a H2 or 1. I can probably get a H1 a lot easier in Biology or DCG for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 limerickgirl16

You are only in TY. Keep up the higher level English for as long as you can.. YOu can always drop down near the end of 6th year when you are certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Irishgirl1998

I had the same problem I debated whether to stay in higher level ever since I got below 40% in my junior cert mock and scraped a C in the actual JC and I'm in 5th year now with 50% average in my tests and I would study for agesbut I would stick it out and don't forget to ask your current English teacher for advice whether it's a good idea to drop or not. Hope this helps. I still question my level now and again though but I'm sticking with Higher for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement