Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options
  • 24-02-2016 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

did a search and Doom doesn't have it's own thread (some old thread about when it was Doom 4 tho, which is years old.)

250px-Doom_Cover.jpg

Release: May 13th 2016 for Playstation 4, Xbox One and Pc.

Looks interesting. Taking things back to the old roots. Anyone else excited?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

those "kill moves" or w/e, the QTE style rubbish should be taken out of the game. stops the flow completely and a game like this shouldnt have any stops to the action.
    "aaww ahhhwwwshhommeee he shoved a shotgun in his eye!" yes. super. im sure the thousandth time that will be great too....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As long as it's as good as RAGE, I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

BMMachine wrote: »
    those "kill moves" or w/e, the QTE style rubbish should be taken out of the game. stops the flow completely and a game like this shouldnt have any stops to the action.
    "aaww ahhhwwwshhommeee he shoved a shotgun in his eye!" yes. super. im sure the thousandth time that will be great too....

Yeah they don't really add anything.
    The developers have stated the animations are very fast so "it doesnt interrupt gameplay" - But let's be honest a developer will say anything :pac:

From watching the trailers, I honestly think this is a type of game where you just have to play it to judge it. I know that sounds silly as you have to do that with every game :pac: But pieces of action edited together does not give a feel for it. It's all about the gameplay so it's ultimately all about playing the thing. Here's hoping it's good.

Might just be a day one purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Cormac... wrote: »
    As long as it's as good as RAGE, I'll be happy

I hope it's a lot better to be honest, RAGE was a good looking game, just pretty forgettable.

• Advertisement

Burgo wrote: »
    I hope it's a lot better to be honest, RAGE was a good looking game, just pretty forgettable.

5 years on and I still haven't forgiven them for that jam on the breaks type ending :mad:

It was still one of the most satisfying shooters i've played full stop

But yeah, the end of the game was total horses**t.... funny how the only DLC pack came out like... only 2 years ago or something.

Seems like something fishy went on with ID software, like maybe it was cut funding or meant to have a sequel etc.

Regardless, the actual weapons were the most unique and fun to use since Bioshock.

Electric Crossbow, RC Bomb car, Wingsticks, that Shotgun pistol thingy. etc.

It was f**king class. And the driving was well intergrated

I love RAGE

• Cormac... wrote: »
    It was still one of the most satisfying shooters i've played full stop

But yeah, the end of the game was total horses**t.... funny how the only DLC pack came out like... only 2 years ago or something.

Seems like something fishy went on with ID software, like maybe it was cut funding or meant to have a sequel etc.

Regardless, the actual weapons were the most unique and fun to use since Bioshock.

Electric Crossbow, RC Bomb car, Wingsticks, that Shotgun pistol thingy. etc.

It was f**king class. And the driving was well intergrated

I love RAGE

The DLC is a great piece of content also. I spent countless hours playing Rage. That reminds me I ahve to get back to my 100% play-through on Nightmare difficulty....

I'm hoping this comes out on X1 Backwards compatibility.

• I personally can't wait and is one of my must haves for the year.
    Bit of an exaggeration on the QTE piece above also. There's plenty of free-flowing game-play being covered. If the QTEs are done correctly and blend into it then I don't see the problem.
    The QTEs are being heavily used in trailers to generate excitement IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The shooting in Rage was excellent...shame the rest of it didn't quite match up. Will give this a go though, as it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    The shooting in Rage was excellent...shame the rest of it didn't quite match up. Will give this a go though, as it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

I thought the towns, the crafting, characters, driving, races, areas, side missions, etc All stood up well. But yeah, it was like it was a 70% complete game when it came to the ending etc.
    It was like it didn't have an Act 3, just ended after the build up of Act 2.
    If it had had an Act 3, I believe we'd look back at it and hold it in high esteem like Mass Effect 2 et-al.

RAGE was for me like Uncharted 3 and Bioshock 1.
    One of those few games where I was genuinely in awe and excited and giddy, and felt like a 5 year old playing Super Mario Kart or Donkey Kong Country for the 1st time.

"Look Other-Half watch me ping this ghouly fiend right in the head with a WingStick!!!"

*Ssssspllllatttt*

"Hey-ooooo Did you See that! Right in the face! And look! I can just dig it out of his face now!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

The Multiplayer Alpha was great fun,reminded me of Quake games of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

RAGE was a funny one alright, had crazy issues with it's engine on release (major delay on texture popping which was supposed to be one of the engine's stand-out features)

I did enjoy it and ID, like always, made the shotgun so damn good. That ending was horseshít though and definitely felt like they shaved off a portion of the game because they hadn't completed it in time. If I remember, you got the most powerful gun pretty much 98% into the game's story. I didn't even get a chance to use it twice :pac:

I'm reserved about Doom but they seem to be aiming for fast-paced action so will see how the QTEs affect it. People have also been favourable about it's multiplayer too during the alpha.

They definitely listened to people's complaints about it looking like it was ran through a piss filter, it looked so bland and uniformly brown when they first showed the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Take a gawk at the below. Its months old now but I was excited when I watched it last year, and I still am! NEEDS SOUND!!!

I put a LOT Of emphasis on Gun-Handling in Games and this is why I'm so looking forward to this.

Granted it won't be the best story in the world but as long as I'm able to use that shotgun to blow s**t away like that I'm ok.

I'm a simple man, if it's fun to shoot demons in the belly, I'll do it for hours on end smiling away to myself.

I'm the kind of guy who is in the audience there hooting-and-hollaring when he rips that guys arm off!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

There's something just so wonderfully satisfying about the Doom games.

No over the top plot, with a sentimental twist that makes no sense, or convoluted story lines that make our internal hipsters cry with nonsensical joy.

It's just a fun, bloody, fast-paced splatter fest. Sometimes that all you really want in a game, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

What I want to know is, will it be as good as the movie?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

What I want to know is, will it be as good as the movie?

I actually have the movie on DVD.Appropriate you mention it the day of the Oscars.

Loved Doom 3 on PC. It was too dark if you didn't have the code to cellotape a flashlight to your gun but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

• What I want to know is, will it be as good as the movie?

Dare I say...Guilty Pleasure??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I actually have the movie on DVD.Appropriate you mention it the day of the Oscars.

Loved Doom 3 on PC. It was too dark if you didn't have the code to cellotape a flashlight to your gun but otherwise I really enjoyed it.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Dare I say...Guilty Pleasure??

Nothing guilty about it. The movie, for what it is, is great. It's an hour and half of entertainment. You just switch off and enjoy. No highfalutin plot lines to follow. Just shoot shoot bang bang.

I ESPECIALLY like the first person view part of the film. Wasn't the best scene in the movie, but it just brought to life a boyhood dream of a live action Doom movie. Just a shame there where no Cacodemons. Though we did get the BFG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah the FPS bit at the credits was great. Can't wait till they sort the virtual reality thing so we can do it for real.... or maybe not.

I ESPECIALLY like the first person view part of the film. Wasn't the best scene in the movie, but it just brought to life a boyhood dream of a live action Doom movie.

+1 for this

That was class :D

I hope there is next to no plot. Just some guy on mars with a double barreled shotgun. Doom 3 and HL2 tried to way hard too implement a storyline.

I hope there is next to no plot.

You've just triggered Johnny_Ultimate :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cormac... wrote: »
    You've just triggered Johnny_Ultimate :P

Not really, I wish more games would be more confident with what they are rather than trying to shoehorn in some incompetent attempts at storytelling (although I love HL2's storytelling due to the way it brilliantly uses the first person perspective). Indeed, I think some developers, critics and players put way too much weight on story in games, given 98%+ of storytelling in games is absolute horse****. Yes, I'm particularly interested in gaming narratives, but only if they have something interesting to say in an interesting way. And that's not what I expect from a Doom game.

I think ID would be better off looking a long, hard look at Doom 3 and try to make an FPS that isn't the repetitive, tedious rubbish that was :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if it's possible to play the original games online anywhere?

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but does anyone know if it's possible to play the original games online anywhere?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=doom+online&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=PCvPVta_KeWfyAPfoLy4DQ

First link :pac:

Yes, I'm particularly interested in gaming narratives

That was kind of my joke :)
    Doom 3 and try to make an FPS that isn't the repetitive, tedious rubbish that was

I must have started Doom 3 about 3 times and always get burned out after about ~8-10 hours and never finish it for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The double jumping and climbing around on boxes and stuff seems like a positive indicator for the mobility this kind of game needs, but it seems a little bit slow on the running speed front.

Guns that fold up and have other superfluously intricate animations are always great.

It looks fairly pretty in the trailers (although you can never know how it'll in the finished product until it launches).

They don't appear to have made a balls of the sound-effects this time - the guns in Doom 3 sounded utter ****e.

The QTE things look like they might be interesting - they just need to be well integrated into the game and not have button prompts, as would appear to be the case.

The kinds of QTEs you get in Resident Evil games, Tomb Raider or what have you should've been the training wheel versions when they were a new mechanic. We should've progressed beyond that kind of simplistic boring ****e at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Gbear wrote: »
    They don't appear to have made a balls of the sound-effects this time - the guns in Doom 3 sounded utter ****e.

The QTE things look like they might be interesting - they just need to be well integrated into the game and not have button prompts, as would appear to be the case.

All the guns sounded like they were made out of tiny pipes, they were so trebly and lacked oomph.

If they worked out the QTEs having a good flow to them then I won't mind them, I imagine they're entirely by choice and you can avoid using them if you want.

If that's the case then I'll be happy using them sparingly when I feel like slicing an imp into 2 halves with the chainsaw because it really deserved it and caused me more trouble than the others :pac:

Advertisement