Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

Whats the most effective way to take on those shielded guys? They seem to be causing me the most hassle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Whats the most effective way to take on those shielded guys? They seem to be causing me the most hassle

Chainsaw negates the shield entirely.

• Whats the most effective way to take on those shielded guys? They seem to be causing me the most hassle

Depends on what weapons you have at what particular stage of the campaign.

If it's early on then:
    Circle strafing quickly the unload with the shotty
    Sticky Rockets from the Assault Rifle work well too
    Oh and what Spear said :P

• A nice article about the level design in Doom.

http://pixelgate.co.uk/dooms-level-design-is-a-marvel-among-mediocrity/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I was looking for the rest of the piece. If he's going to proclaim its design a "Marvel", then he might want to go into why. Instead we get a few lines on the corridor approach that been in been in vogue for the past few years and nothing of substance on Doom. Anyone could have trotted that out in a minute or two; you wouldn't even have had to played the game.

As an example; here's a nice article on level design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Question on performance. I'm running doom on a stock clocked i5 4690k and a high factory overclocked zotac 970. On ultra settings at 1080p on a 144hz monitor (set to 100hz) with vsync on, com_fps counter sits at 99-100 constantly. Game is buttery smooth, no question the fps is high but I wasn't expecting it to run this well. Anyone getting similar performance or is the internal clock a little buggy?

First encounter with a Hell Knight. Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Where is the cheapest place to get this for PS4 ? Looks like simplygames.com and amazon.co.uk are hovering around the €50 mark considering £/€ conversion and postage.

Argos had it for €63 a few days ago, back up to €65 now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How much content in this game?
    I'm thinking of picking it up but if it's short and slight then I'll wait a month or two for a discount.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking it up but if it's short and slight then I'll wait a month or two for a discount.

It's a pretty generous single player campaign. Also I can see myself coming back to playing it on higher difficulties which only ever happens with Paltinum games for me.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2708

About 11 hours it says there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a pretty generous single player campaign. Also I can see myself coming back to playing it on higher difficulties which only ever happens with Paltinum games for me.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2708

About 11 hours it says there.

I'm at a loss with DS3 being over for me, so I need a distraction, perhaps Doom is the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

never really buy new games but screw it just bought this :D is the mp any good?

I think I'll order from Base.com cheapest out there, and happy to pay the Parcel Motel tax!

• CiDeRmAn wrote: »

This game deserves the support IMO

never really buy new games but screw it just bought this :D is the mp any good?

I haven't touched it since the beta but it was absolutely terrible at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

fully upgraded double barrel shotgun is heaven in this game lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think there's not enough said about the writing in this game. It's nothing special and control is wrenched away from the player every so often which is jarring but I just love the doom guys reaction to it all. All the npc characters are taking it deadly seriously. Doom guy on the other hand just wants to shoot some demons. His lack of respect for the dialogue and other characters is just brilliantly played out and makes me chuckle every time important dialogue is being spouted out and he just smashes the monitor and continues on. Even the way he takes the upgrades from the drones makes me chuckle.

For all the words written about uncharted 4, another story tube with too many cutscenes, it's strangely doom which is far cleverer.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Traded in Uncharted 4 and decided to splurge on DOOM from Simply Games. Works out at about €45

Have heard mostly positive things about it so decided to take the plunge. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Got it today, sold to CEX Dark Souls 3, I'll get it again when the DLC comes out, and bought Doom from a guy on Adverts, and it's stunning!
    I'm a jaded old b@stard at this stage but the game looks incredible and plays superbly.
    Only getting started here but loving the bit I've played, can't wait to see more of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think anyone trying to play this game without a mouse and keyboard is mental, but anyway... :P

Payday on Friday, might just have to splash... Should probably play Wolfenstein until then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Shiminay wrote: »
    I think anyone trying to play this game without a mouse and keyboard is mental, but anyway... :P

Payday on Friday, might just have to splash... Should probably play Wolfenstein until then :D

Found it to be fine.. Sure I played the original one with a Keyboard only. Breezed through this one on Ultra Violence on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Think I'll get it for the weekend or if anyone wants to do my job for the rest of the week I'd be more than grateful :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think there's not enough said about the writing in this game. It's nothing special and control is wrenched away from the player every so often which is jarring but I just love the doom guys reaction to it all. All the npc characters are taking it deadly seriously. Doom guy on the other hand just wants to shoot some demons. His lack of respect for the dialogue and other characters is just brilliantly played out and makes me chuckle every time important dialogue is being spouted out and he just smashes the monitor and continues on. Even the way he takes the upgrades from the drones makes me chuckle.

For all the words written about uncharted 4, another story tube with too many cutscenes, it's strangely doom which is far cleverer.

(mild spoilers)

But, sure that was the thing with The Last of Us, fantastic story and some nice gameplay scenes, in particular the one in the snow, but otherwise the gameplay was nothing we'd not seen before, on three occasions in the three Uncharted games. Again, Naughty Dog proved that, despite, Way of the Warrior on the 3DO, they could make a very entertaining, thought provoking, experience, but it was a journey from story to more story through a very attractive linear tunnel.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

(mild spoilers)

More than mild spoiler!

• My favorite doom track was redone also (E1M5).
    Sent shivers down my spine when hearing the new version.
    Epic stuff from Mick Gordan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

But, sure that was the thing with The Last of Us, fantastic story and some nice gameplay scenes, in particular the one in the snow, but otherwise the gameplay was nothing we'd not seen before, on three occasions in the three Uncharted games. Again, Naughty Dog proved that, despite, Way of the Warrior on the 3DO, they could make a very entertaining, thought provoking, experience, but it was a journey from story to more story through a very attractive linear tunnel.
    and doom is something we havent seen before?

why are we knocking NDs gamestyle? there 2 really different types of games

biggebruv wrote: »
    and doom is something we havent seen before?

why are we knocking NDs gamestyle? there 2 really different types of games

Uncharted is lauded as some sort of gamin revolution when it's really a beautiful looking repeat of Naughty Dogs previous four big hits.

Doom represents an evolution from the previous game in the series, a series that happens about once a console generation, in fact even less that that.
    We had Doom and Doom 2 on the PC back in the 90's, with various updates afterwards, followed by Doom 3 on the XBox and PC before it was released across all formats, PS3, 360 and PC included, with patches. And now the 4th title in the series, and what an amazing title it is too.

Uncharted is getting such pats on the back, but it really doesn't deserve them, it's true innovation is it's use of mocap performance, that's what separates it from the others, the hand holding and sign posting in those games is disgraceful, the epitome of modern casual gaming, and no precision needed in terms of control, you just push the controller in vaguely the right way and press a context sensitive button to make your character do something cool, a gameplay first cousin to QTEs, the Arkham games suffer from a similar issue, you never feel in control at all.
    Dark Souls are the diametric opposite, and Doom is more like that than Uncharted and TLOU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Uncharted is lauded as some sort of gamin revolution

Is it? Because anything I've seen has just noted it's pretty much just a refinement of what the series has done before (kinda like Dark Souls 3, actually) :)

What it does is extremely limited in some respects, not least the ever tedious combat. It's a rollercoaster, with all the limited control that implies. But a rollercoaster has its place, and luckily Uncharted like TLOU is pretty much unique in telling a story that actually has well developed characters and the technology to back it up. And one has to stress it looks legitimately beautiful - and not just as a tech showcase, but a visual and artistic confidence to properly capture and enhance the story its trying to tell - from the small character moments to the swashbuckling adventure.

I look forward to playing Doom at some point in the nearish future - I'm encouraged by what I've heard, although I don't have a real connection to the series as frankly I was too young to play the original when I probably needed to. I'm particularly impressed by what I've heard about the cheeky impatience of the main character just wanting to get back to shooting **** - good to know a game knows exactly what it is. But, well, so does Uncharted 4. And so does Dark Souls. And so does The Witness. And so does Undertale. And so on and so on. I'm just glad we can all pick and choose from a variety of different styles and tones to suit our own moods and interest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Does anyone know if there is any cheats for Doom on the Xbox One yet? I know they re-used all the old cheats for the pc version but there doesn't seem to be anything available for the Xbox one yet.

Advertisement