Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Found this on youtube. A great watch relating to the history of Doom.

If you skip to 9.30 some footage of Romero and a group of other employees playing Doom in probably Alpha or Beta.
    Can only imagine what it was like to experience the game for the very first time.
    The technology jump Doom caused in the year 1993 must have been an incredible to witness. I can get that from the reactions of the people in the video.

• Andy Magic wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is any cheats for Doom on the Xbox One yet? I know they re-used all the old cheats for the pc version but there doesn't seem to be anything available for the Xbox one yet.

No cheats available on console. I believe there are cheats for the PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Found this on youtube. A great watch relating to the history of Doom.

If you skip to 9.30 some footage of Romero and a group of other employees playing Doom in probably Alpha or Beta.
    Can only imagine what it was like to experience the game for the very first time.
    The technology jump Doom caused in the year 1993 must have been an incredible to witness. I can get that from the reactions of the people in the video.

Great video. It blew me away, I still remember picking the demo up on a magazine after school. I was off sick the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'm still playing the original doom :D

For those that don't have it (you're crazy), it was originally shareware and its engine is open source. You can download and use mods like GZDoom, Brutality, Brutal Doom etc, with free versions of doom like https://freedoom.github.io/about.html.

I'm still playing the original doom :D

For those that don't have it (you're crazy), it was originally shareware and its engine is open source. You can download and use mods like GZDoom, Brutality, Brutal Doom etc, with free versions of doom like https://freedoom.github.io/about.html.

[Pedant]Like Wolfenstein 3D, the first episode was shareware, the rest you paid for.[/Pedant]

It's the main reason that "demo" gave me that illness. It wasn't the usual 30 minute/one level nonsense.

• Advertisement

• I'm still playing the original doom :D

I like gzdoom doom as a source port however don't like brutal doom due to fact that it's too far from canon

If you want an improved experience closer to the original use gzdoom with the smooth doom wad.

Oh and two mega wads called "Doom the way iD did" and it's sequel "Doom 2 the way iD did"

A fantastic re-imagining of the two original games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember how amazing doom was on release. PC gaming was a bit of a joke compared to the likes of the Amiga. It had a few good games like
    Wolf 3D that showed off the hardware but nothing essential. The PC before doom did have earth shatteringly good 3D games like ultima underworld before doom but that requires a monster rig to run. Doom ran like a dream on a standard 486 and was the first game to make me take PC gaming seriously.

Also I feel doom hasn't been copied or equaled. Every game since has tried to introduce more complexity diluting the amount of enemies and emergent gameplay. It's left doom as a totally different experience from any shooter since which means it's never been copied or bettered. It's such a pure gameplay experience, Romero described it as a first person gauntlet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just a copy of Alien vs Predator on the Jag ;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I remember how amazing doom was on release. PC gaming was a bit of a joke compared to the likes of the Amiga. It had a few good games like
    Wolf 3D that showed off the hardware but nothing essential. The PC before doom did have earth shatteringly good 3D games like ultima underworld before doom but that requires a monster rig to run. Doom ran like a dream on a standard 486 and was the first game to make me take PC gaming seriously.

Also I feel doom hasn't been copied or equaled. Every game since has tried to introduce more complexity diluting the amount of enemies and emergent gameplay. It's left doom as a totally different experience from any shooter since which means it's never been copied or bettered. It's such a pure gameplay experience, Romero described it as a first person gauntlet.

I've been gaming on DOS/windows machines since the good old days of the 8086. I never felt envious of my friends that had amigas. They were still broadly productivity machines back then and that was the marketing focus, but there was still an excellent selection of games. Sure the sole bit of gaming news would be a few tiny boxes at the back of PcPlus, but the PC suited me as it was more RPGs and Sims and adventure games. Things like Zool would be better of Amiga, but Sims were a much better experience on PC. You mention the 486: You're fairly late in the game now and PC gaming was extremely established at this stage with the Amiga firmly on the path to bankruptcy. Did you play Doom before you tried it on the 486... because that's probably 1995! The 486 (had a 486DX33 myself) would have been overkill for Doom's faux 3D.

There are plenty of decent shooters that tried to copy Doom. Some better than others. None have the same level of nostalgia for me. You'd everything on the quality scale from Hexen to Rise of the triads. I was never a fan but people forget Duke nukem 3d proceeded Doom. I wonder how the people behind Serious Sam are viewing the new Doom. Are they feeling forgotten. Their series was basically lauded as the return to basics Old School Doom as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I've been gaming on DOS/windows machines since the good old days of the 8086. I never felt envious of my friends that had amigas. They were still broadly productivity machines back then and that was the marketing focus, but there was still an excellent selection of games. Sure the sole bit of gaming news would be a few tiny boxes at the back of PcPlus, but the PC suited me as it was more RPGs and Sims and adventure games. Things like Zool would be better of Amiga, but Sims were a much better experience on PC. You mention the 486: You're fairly late in the game now and PC gaming was extremely established at this stage with the Amiga firmly on the path to bankruptcy. Did you play Doom before you tried it on the 486... because that's probably 1995! The 486 (had a 486DX33 myself) would have been overkill for Doom's faux 3D.

There are plenty of decent shooters that tried to copy Doom. Some better than others. None have the same level of nostalgia for me. You'd everything on the quality scale from Hexen to Rise of the triads. I was never a fan but people forget Duke nukem 3d proceeded Doom. I wonder how the people behind Serious Sam are viewing the new Doom. Are they feeling forgotten. Their series was basically lauded as the return to basics Old School Doom as well.

Aye I used to play Doom on my 386DX 33mhz... postage stamp sized screen and in low res mode. Still ran terribly but I didn't care :)

FPS and point-and-clicks were my bread and butter on the PC back then and certainly the latter was always a better experience on the PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not saying PC games were bad back then. I would not have had any experience of RPGs from then like ultima, it's my own experience really and doom made me want a PC and I eventually got a P100 machine a few years later. I used to play doom on my mates 486 with a turbo button, so that's how I experienced it but I remember it running incredibly well compared to other faux 3D games like ultima underworld which was incredibly demanding.

As for duke, I wouldn't call it a contender to doom, it felt very different. Same with serious Sam. There's no actual level design and it just locks you in arenas and floods them with enemies. It's the fiendish enemy placement and design that makes doom a far better experience than serious Sam.

Heretic was probably the closest since it runs on the doom engine. Rise of the triad is more wolf 3D on an illegal drug bender. Hexen despite using the doom engine felt more like a proto metroid prime than anything when I revisited it.

There's nothing that really felt like the original doom since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also I feel doom hasn't been copied or equaled. Every game since has tried to introduce more complexity diluting the amount of enemies and emergent gameplay.

I couldn't agree more, I've always wondered why game designers have to make games more complex. They have left out choice for the casual gamers.

How is this 70 euro on the Playstation store? No stock in Argos and I'm not paying gamestop prices. I've a copy sitting in my Amazon basket If I don't find it anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

How is this 70 euro on the Playstation store? No stock in Argos and I'm not paying gamestop prices. I've a copy sitting in my Amazon basket If I don't find it anywhere else.

I got it last week on special in The Games Collection, worked out around €47 delivered.

70 is the going rate on PSN unless it's a Sony published or exclusive, then its cheaper like Uncharted 4 is 60 on PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What kind of good prices for PC is it going for? Haven't had a chance in the past while to check around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Duggy747 wrote: »
    What kind of good prices for PC is it going for? Haven't had a chance in the past while to check around.
    £34 on AmazonUK.

Comes with a useless coaster :pac: & Steam codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Got around to playing Doom tonight on the ps4.

Anybody else getting really, really, really loud fan spin?
    It's been loud before for some games but this thing is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Its £30 plus £2 shipping from thegamecollection.net until Tuesday night, works out around €43.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Or 30ish via Key Sellers if you don't mind them (Key delivered directly to your inbox)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The Game Collection currently have this for £29.95 on PS4 and Xbox.

• Advertisement

Got around to playing Doom tonight on the ps4.

Anybody else getting really, really, really loud fan spin?
    It's been loud before for some games but this thing is a joke.

I, too, agree that PS4 is a joke of a design :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Did anyone else find it hard to get into ? Having coming direct from Uncharted and then Wolfenstein I'm finding myself being lazy to play this

Did anyone else find it hard to get into ? Having coming direct from Uncharted and then Wolfenstein I'm finding myself being lazy to play this

Started it last night after coming home at midnight.

Couldn't stop playing until 3.33am :pac:

I'm loving the freedom of movement compared to Wolfenstein, and that starter shotty is damn chunky!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think im just gone past the foundry level and I'm still using that shotgun its the best weapon in the game , I hate them Hell Knights though christ above

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think im just gone past the foundry level and I'm still using that shotgun its the best weapon in the game , I hate them Hell Knights though christ above

Yeah the combat shotgun fully upgraded is the best all round weapon, next would be the heavy assault rifle with the mini rocket launcher mod.

Hell Knights become trivial later when you are taking on 3 at once. It's the Hell Barrons that are far worse when they get up close.

I wish I discovered the chainsaw exploit against he shield guys sooner, such a game changer just charging them with a chainsaw instead of trying to flank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm enjoying this. I think the reward system is spot on too. Many's the time I've been on the edge of my seat with 'LOW HEALTH' and 'LOW AMMO' flashing across the screen only to sink a huge demon charging towards me at the last minute before basking in the blue and yellow glow of health and ammo goodness.

It's fairly repetitive but I'm enjoying the mindless violence that's for sure.

EDIT: Meant to say that this game is absolutely killing my PS4. The machine goes into overdrive and even though I'm using a Turtle Beach headset amped up to the 9's, I still hear the whirring of the fan.

So, uh... I got lost :o

Can't find a red keycard (did find the Doomguy doll though)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So, uh... I got lost :o

Can't find a red keycard (did find the Doomguy doll though)

I think the compass (top of the screen) tends to point you in the right direction if your stuck. Worked for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm enjoying the way sections turn into weaponised playgrounds, plenty of vertical and horizontal movement, surprise "beam in" enemies, the fun of shotgun+melee...
    Yeah, having great craic with Doom!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the way sections turn into weaponised playgrounds, plenty of vertical and horizontal movement, surprise "beam in" enemies, the fun of shotgun+melee...
    Yeah, having great craic with Doom!

Better than Fire Warrior? :P

Advertisement