Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I tried playing MW2 on a PC with a KB&M and was horrific.
    Played MW1 on a PC and no troubles but it's like I unlearned everything after going console.

Cos they remove aim assist on PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be fair it takes a while for KB&M to click. I remember trying to convert my mates when Quake came out. I told them just play through the first chapter of Quake and you'll never go back.

Then I had to convince some of said mates to use dual analogue on Quake 2 on PS1 since multiplayer wasn't even a challenge against them. That was even tougher because it's kind of a bit crap and it wasn't until Halo that developers started adding massive amounts of aim assist so that it was actually usable in a FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Played the first level yesterday and first impressions are good.

Took the wrong option on the shotgun upgrade but presume I can get an explosive one once I get the gun points.

One thing confusing me is the MP and SnapMap? haven't unlocked, just the campaign. Says something like "This feature has still to install" but I have downloaded the patches/current versions.

Once I put the disc in my PS4 goes into LOUD MODE.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Cos they remove aim assist on PC.

It was more the movement. I was just standing out in the open twirling round in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well I ordered this now. Herself is gone for the next week so I can lash into this quiet a bit then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well I ordered this now. Herself is gone for the next week so I can lash into this quiet a bit then :)

You enjoying it? I find it a very good game.

I really like it. Think the old Doom levels are brilliant , music and pacing is excellent. I played Doom 3 on PC and I think the graphics on that were better (although it's years since I played it) but enjoying this one a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Only about 2 hours in, so far so good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I played and enjoyed the demo, but I'm not sure whether to pick it up just yet because I feel the speed and intensity could get boring over the course of the campaign.

How does it play out over successive missions? Do the weapon, location and enemy varieties keep it interesting?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    I played and enjoyed the demo, but I'm not sure whether to pick it up just yet because I feel the speed and intensity could get boring over the course of the campaign.

How does it play out over successive missions? Do the weapon, location and enemy varieties keep it interesting?

I enjoyed it but it did wear on me with around 2 or 3 missions to go. The enemy patterns are a bit samey in parts. You know when you get to a biggish room you will be facing 3 waves and can nearly always predict what will be in each one. I think the challenges and upgrades were what kept me going towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Gave the demo a whirl and really enjoyed the combat on the higher difficulty, I got pumped when I heard the E1M1 music kick in :pac:

Won't be able to buy the game for a while but the demo left a good impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I enjoyed it but it did wear on me with around 2 or 3 missions to go. The enemy patterns are a bit samey in parts. You know when you get to a biggish room you will be facing 3 waves and can nearly always predict what will be in each one. I think the challenges and upgrades were what kept me going towards the end.

I started to feel like that toward the end of the demo, so that doesn't bode well for the full game. I think I'll wait until the price hits rock bottom or it's at a huge discount.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Played the Demo over the weekend,after months of no FPS playing,got my arse handed to me,it took a while to get back into the swing of it..

Definitely will be buying this... dont care about MP but the single player from that demo is very very impressive..

That, and the feeling of unloading hot lead in demonic faces to pumping metal music.

• For anyone that's interested, MachineGames / ID Software released a map pack for the original Quake as part of the 20th Anniversary.
    Just completed it, it's quality! :)

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/06/24/wolfenstein-dev-creates-new-levels-for-quakes-20th-anniversary

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

gonna get this in the steam sale.
    new quake maps are good and all but the single player was lost on me by 99. If they were good dm maps like 4 & 6 then heck yeah :) I have been resentful of getting Quakelive on steam as I once paid 40eu a year for it only for that to be ****ed back in my face, but its too good not to. makes your CoD, battlefield, Overwatch etc look like the mediocre games they are :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

FYI. Forget to mention this on Thursday when it was announced, but John Romero has been confirmed as a guest at this years Dublin Comic Con in August.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

FYI. Forget to mention this on Thursday when it was announced, but John Romero has been confirmed as a guest at this years Dublin Comic Con in August.

have to find an old mag of mine with the "John Romero is going to make you his bitch" ad and get him to sign it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Picked this up in the Steam sale and a few hours in. While it's a very good game, I'd be more reserved in my praise than others.

It certainly makes a good first impression. The sheer restlessness of Doom guy, the frantic combat loop, the excellent iD engine, the maps that successfully blend linear and more open-ended level design... It's a confident blend of Doom past and a few new tricks too. Certainly the way your character literally punches his way through the nonsense story is good for a few laughs (even if it still takes the time here and there to drop a few tedious plot bombs - at least it moves along quickly).

While the combat is never less than fun and engaging, only three or four hours in I already wish they had a few more tricks up their sleeves. The encounters sort of blend into each other - every time a new foe is introduced, you can pretty safely expect another three or four very similar encounters to swiftly follow. The glory kill system doesn't feel quite as satisfying as I'd like overall, but it also doesn't get in the way and is welcome in some of the trickier situations. The guns are punchy enough and the pace so frantic it's easy to get engrossed nonetheless, but even then I've already found myself wondering 'what else have you got?' on a few occasions. The militant focus on demon shooting is certainly a strength in many respects, but also limiting. The challenge system, however, is cleverly implemented, and encourages a bit of thought and experimentation.

The exploration aspect too is a mixed blessing. It's a lot of fun to track down the hidden passages dotted around the maps - but the rewards quickly become too familiar. The sheer volume of upgrade points dished out also feels a bit much, and break the pace from time to time (as lovely as the 'punching the weapon upgrade drone' animation is). It's great to find a powerful weapon hiding in one of the secret passages, but there's less fun in the prevalence of the other, frequently repeated rewards for digging around. At worst, the amount of secrets and collectibles dotting the map shifts the game's focus towards checklist management.

Technically the game is magnificent - runs like a dream and there's loads of lovely visual details (the depth of field when Doom guy is examine an object is particularly neat). Sadly, I think it's complemented by, a few exceptions aside, a very uninspired overall aesthetic. The industrial locations and monsters alike are about as blandly generic as they come, and I think that takes the sheen off of exploration and individual encounters. The environments often feel pretty lifeless too, even allowing for the barren Martian wasteland ;) At least the whole thing is running so smoothly.

So far, the demon shooting is satisfying enough that I can see myself playing through to the end. And the way it encourages the player to be bold and aggressive leads to plenty of thrilling moments (even if it seems to lack the mechanical depth of other fast paced shooters like Vanquish). It's definitely a notch above Wolfenstein: The New Order (I've long accepted I'm alone in thinking that was only 'decent'). I can see also easily see how it appeals to long-time Doom fans (sadly, I was a little too young to be on board with that). IMO, so far it's a generally solid and occasionally excellent shooter. It's definitely not the best FPS I've played this year - Overwatch easily takes that crown - but the campaign is definitely plenty of fun on its own terms. And it doesn't seem to want to be anything more than that - for better and worse :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Are you playing the higher difficulty levels? I started on the default level and after an hour switched to ultra violence. The game is a hell of a lot better, you end up having to be very smart in your weapon choices and using your chainsaw and glory kills.

I'm getting to the point were I'm having to repeat a lot of encounters but I never feel frustrated since the combat system allows them to be very dynamic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Doom is still #1 on the UK's top 10 sales:O Impressive

The name brings with it a lot of nostalgic pulling power. I had a friend of mine asking whether it was good because she wanted to buy it for her husband and remembered liking the old games, I wouldn't have thought she would have known about Doom at all.

Also, it's kind of well deserved!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm playing on standard difficulty. I'll give it a go on harder to see if it cuts down on the repetition of encounters a bit.
    Doodleking wrote: »

I reckon that's a result of discounts, have seen ten or twenty quid knocked off it in a few shops here anyway. Think it's wise given the game originally game out at a mental time for high-profile new releases, and it's much quieter at the moment.

• Doodleking wrote: »

I'd praise Bethesda for releasing a demo. Talking to people who picked up the demo have now purchased the game. Clever marketing IMO and a reverse of the disaster that the multi-player beta caused

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yup I played the demo, moreso because I wanted to see how well it would run on my machine which ol' Betsy is getting on in years.

Runs fine, the sale is on, and I really liked what I got to play so I'll be picking this up shortly. The demo did it's job :D

Ending was a bit disappointing but sure what was expecting given the level exposition throughout

Ending was a bit disappointing but sure what was expecting given the level exposition throughout

Wait... There was a story?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wait... There was a story?

1219083271992.png
    I can't believe this meme as part of the plot.

Speaking of story in the game and after looking at the superbunnyhop review of it the best way to play it is to just ignore all the codex entries and don't go actively trying to find secrets, take them as they come. It just slows the game down and spoils the experience.

It's the same way I play Bioware games now or anything with an extensive codex. Bioware games always have awful writing in their codex entries. They might have made a massive universe bible for the game but it doesn't mean all that nonsense has to be inflicted on the player. If you can't tell it through gameplay then it's not worth mentioning.

• Advertisement

yeah I'd agree with this. I tend to complete a level and then go back for the secrets but it is mucking up the experience a bit.

Advertisement