Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

Damn, read that as Danny Dyer at first

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Savage Show so far, loving the professional approach to this. It's TV quality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Finding this a bit of a slog to finish. Game certainly has a lot of padding in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Love the docs on Doom so far gave you're man a subscribe too seems a good bloke and is really insightful aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I recently downloaded the soundtrack for Modern Warfare 2, it subsequently occurred to me this was a quite sad thing to do. Do people listen to game soundtracks?

Put 'Witcher 3 Steel for Humans' or 'Witcher 3 Ladies of the Forest' into youtube and get back to me on that. :p

Planning to get Doom a little after Christmas, hoping it lives up to the billing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Third part of the doc is up now:

What confused me about the second part was how long it took them to realise no one cared about story in a Doom game and that it should just be balls to the wall action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthhorse wrote: »
    What confused me about the second part was how long it took them to realise no one cared about story in a Doom game and that it should just be balls to the wall action.

I honestly think it was a very brave thing to do. Where ever game now has the overly handholdy tutorial and and intro that can take 30 to 60 minutes to acrually get going or some bombastic barely interactive set piece they completely bucked the trend going in the direction they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Earthhorse wrote: »

It's a harder thing to do when everyone else is going a different direction. When story, set pieces, constant character interaction seems to be expected from every game I'd imagine there's pressure to try and have it in yours. I admire the Devs more for the way they did it.

Love the mention of the focus tester too."Why do I want to kill the demon? Dude, it's a demon. Just kill it" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That was a great documentary. I wonder if the success of Doom will encourage more devs to not automatically default to COD clone. It was a brave move to buck that trend but it was the right decision to bring Doom back to it's roots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Billy86 wrote: »
    Put 'Witcher 3 Steel for Humans' or 'Witcher 3 Ladies of the Forest' into youtube and get back to me on that. :p

Planning to get Doom a little after Christmas, hoping it lives up to the billing!!

Amazon are selling doom + season pass for Xbox & Ps4 for £19.99 and if you only want base game then argos is currently 18.99 :)

Just finished the second part. I completely loved the direction they took with the story and the opening few scenes. I rejoiced at the screen being smashed just after letting a great big sigh at forced exposition. It's strange though, once they had me in, I wanted more exposition :pac: I loved the codex but I didn't really enjoy the ending's lack of solid explanation. I wanted to hear more and more about this mythical Doom Slayer.

Agricola wrote: »
    That was a great documentary. I wonder if the success of Doom will encourage more devs to not automatically default to COD clone. It was a brave move to buck that trend but it was the right decision to bring Doom back to it's roots.

Here's hoping!!! though we'll not see any moves like that from activision :D

Ubisoft on the other hand have being making some noises about changing approach to their games and DLC and another one who's name etc escapes me at the minute ......but yeah we'll see :rolleyes:

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Amazon are selling doom + season pass for Xbox & Ps4 for £19.99 and if you only want base game then argos is currently 18.99 :)

Cheers for that! Thought I was getting a good deal at €14.50 on the base game on CDKeys, but had forgotten the season pass bit - for the extra €5.50, I'd be pretty sure it's worth going that little bit further. I'm on PC so I'll be getting all the gore in even gorier detail :D but thankfully the Amazon offer extends to that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Actually came in here because of Danny's documentary, really professional production. Haven't played Doom yet after watching that, and the fact that I've some time off at the moment, I'm thinking I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just finished the second part. I completely loved the direction they took with the story and the opening few scenes. I rejoiced at the screen being smashed just after letting a great big sigh at forced exposition. It's strange though, once they had me in, I wanted more exposition :pac: I loved the codex but I didn't really enjoy the ending's lack of solid explanation. I wanted to hear more and more about this mythical Doom Slayer.

I was watching a friend try out the first level, could hear him getting annoyed at the exposition (fingers clicking on the mouse) - then Doomguy shoves the monitor into the wall and he let out a big loud "YES!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I recently downloaded the soundtrack for Modern Warfare 2, it subsequently occurred to me this was a quite sad thing to do. Do people listen to game soundtracks?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Yes.
    TIL that characters name is Sol Badguy. ****ing genius.

TIL pinky had armour at the front and is squishy at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Should I buy this with my last 20 bucks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Should I buy this with my last 20 bucks?

Yes,if that 20 bucks isnt needed for food or water..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Ha! I just won 20 bills on a scratch card. Its gonna take 13 hours to download... damn PSN.

Should have reinvested in scratch cards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Should have reinvested in scratch cards

Not to mention the big patches. I'm not sure if they are included in the initial download.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tinie wrote: »
    Not to mention the big patches. I'm not sure if they are included in the initial download.

Re-installed the game yesterday. 27 gigs of patches/updates followed. Great news for my daily cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just picked this up. What's the snap map mode all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Just picked this up. What's the snap map mode all about?
    user made maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Saw this for €20 in argos ,and based on reviews on here definitely gonna pick it up tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

budhabob wrote: »
    Saw this for €20 in argos ,and based on reviews on here definitely gonna pick it up tomorrow
    a great way to start the new year :)

• Advertisement

Bought this at Christmas but just got a chance to throw it on for the first time tonight, and oh yes it's so much fun!! :D

Advertisement