Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Man this game is so satisfying. Although i'm used to titanfall controls so I miss wall running and sliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Just started playing this after getting it in the sales and loving it so far. My one issue though is that the button prompts are tiny and very hard to read on my screen (27 inch and I'm sitting on my couch about 2 metres away). Is there a way to increase font and text size in the HUD? I couldn't find one in the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Seems to be sold out in a lot of bricks and mortar shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

budhabob wrote: »
    Seems to be sold out in a lot of bricks and mortar shops.

Would it make more sense to buy on PSN/Xbox whateveritscalled/PC Steam code then? Just always seemed to make more sense to me since I've a terrible knack of accidentally scratching CDs. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I really want to like this game but find it really hard to click with it.

Playing on Ultra Violence and it's breaking my balls despite having decent experience with FPS games and so called hard games like Dark Souls.

Any links to good tip pages? Is all out aggression the way to go? I think I'm trying to play too cautiously, although I could just drop down the difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Playing on Ultra Violence and it's breaking my balls despite having decent experience with FPS games and so called hard games like Dark Souls.

Any links to good tip pages? Is all out aggression the way to go? I think I'm trying to play too cautiously, although I could just drop down the difficulty.

Ultra-Violence is the recommended difficulty to play but it is indeed tough especially in some of the rooms and the boss fights. If you have issues with repeating the same sections multiple times then best to drop down a level.

This game is all about movement, keep on the go, get stuck in and pull off those glory kills. Standing back and using cover only works in very rare instances, it's about getting in there and taking the fight to them, you'll get used to demon movement and you can control the encounters better.

Take the time to explore the levels and find the secrets and upgrades, essential later in the game. Experiment with different weapons on each enemy as some are just more effective than others.

I'd say stick to Ultra-Violence but if it really is too much then drop down, no point ruining a great game just for that.

• Depends on what part of the game you are at also? What level are you on exactly?
    What runes / weapons do you currently have?
    Don't drop the difficulty, you will ruin the experience. Not to sound like a dick but if you are playing cautiously then you are playing it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks lads. I'm only at Resource Operations for shame, although I've only started it again after a break so that doesn't help.

Might restart it again, keeping it at Ultra Violence.

Doesn't help either that recently I've been playing cover shooters or games that punish aggressive play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Billy86 wrote: »
    Would it make more sense to buy on PSN/Xbox whateveritscalled/PC Steam code then? Just always seemed to make more sense to me since I've a terrible knack of accidentally scratching CDs. :o

Have only bought xbox gold on code, where would be a recommended legit place to buy game codes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keep going for the glory kills. It's how you get your health back. The less health you have the more you get back. Also keep circle strafing and moving. Much safer than being cautious.

• Advertisement

F**k those dudes with the shields :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yep waging war on the Demons is the only way to play this one Cover is for pussys haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

grenade or explosive shotgun shell just behind them

grenade or explosive shotgun shell just behind them

They are surrounded by imps. I just got the rocket launcher and keep killing myself with splash damage :p Edit got a spash damage upgrade and got past it. This game is animal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Chainsaw

Man its hard to find a game on the PS4. Havent had a full team yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Just finished this game. Have to say enjoyed it thoroughly - only complaint is that I should've increased the difficulty as I went with Ultra Violence and it was too easy especially with all the weapons and numerous ammo drops. I never ran out of ammo. Finally cleared the UAC on Ultra Nightmare after about 20 attempts, now that is hard. NEVER STOP MOVING can't reiterate this enough. Now on to Final Fantasy or Metal Gear after I wrap up the missions and challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Really should get around the finishing this. Finally got the game and started a month ago then sank a couple of hours in. Man, as you get older time for video game decreases! :(

• Man its hard to find a game on the PS4. Havent had a full team yet.

Multiplayer is pretty much dead at this stage
    Was always going to be the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Just finished this game. Have to say enjoyed it thoroughly - only complaint is that I should've increased the difficulty as I went with Ultra Violence and it was too easy especially with all the weapons and numerous ammo drops. I never ran out of ammo. Finally cleared the UAC on Ultra Nightmare after about 20 attempts, now that is hard. NEVER STOP MOVING can't reiterate this enough. Now on to Final Fantasy or Metal Gear after I wrap up the missions and challenges.

I used the glitch to get that trophy. Feck that!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Had the game about 3-4 weeks but haven't had much chance to play it (and I also love in a way how it's easier to put down after a half hour than something like The Witcher or Fallout), just got through the 'meltdown' section in the refinery... wow that was some intense fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Finished DOOM the other night one of the best shooters I have ever played. I have now installed Wolfenstein the new order and old Blood to play soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Really enjoyed the New Order. Old Blood wasn't necessarily a bad game but just could never get into it to the same extent.

• gimli2112 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the New Order. Old Blood wasn't necessarily a bad game but just could never get into it to the same extent.

Still has excellent gameplay
    Lacked the story of New Order however so can see why you didn't enjoy it as much

Machine Games / iD know how to make a truly satisfying FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I was sceptical about the amount of glowing reviews this received believing it maybe just down to the trend in recent years to hail all things retro as genius but I absolutely love it.

I went off fps games years ago as they'd become so staid and generic. This is a breath of fresh air. Admittedly I was a huge fan of the original Doom and quake games back in the day but that may have counted against my appreciation for this reboot but the way they've captured the feel of the original games is spot on.

It's so great not to be skulking around corners, hiding behind walls and to just run amok. The balance of the weapons is superb, you feel powerful but not op. The secrets and hidden areas are so well done also. Everything is just beautifully old school, most fun I've had in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Just started playing this as well, thinking I couldn't ignore all the positive reviews. I'm not a fan of FPS games at all, but very much enjoying it for all the reasons above. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really must try and get back into this. I'm not feeling the same love that others have, and i did like the originals, but wasn't involved in the whole hype train it had back in the day. I've played the first, maybe, 2 or 3 hours, and it's good, but it's not holding me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really must try and get back into this. I'm not feeling the same love that others have, and i did like the originals, but wasn't involved in the whole hype train it had back in the day. I've played the first, maybe, 2 or 3 hours, and it's good, but it's not holding me.

Stick the difficulty up to Ultra Violence. I wasn't feeling the love either and found it too easy. Restarted on ultra violence and it was a different game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

This has been in my backlog a good while but only started into this a week ago, as a backlog is backlog.

Haven't played it since the weekend as my PS4 is at home and I stay in Dublin for work during the week. But even at that, I'm still tipping along nicely and I'm enjoying how each combat segment slightly ramps up from the previous one, adding more/new/harder demons to each area.

I'm playing on Ultra Violence and it's a challenge but after the one weekend at it I'm as far as the Argent Energy Tower, which is around a 3rd into the game from what I can see. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, enemies, weapons, level design, music, and the general feel of the game. The option to dig into story through data logs is cool and non-intrusive, and any cut scenes you do need to sit through don't take too long, so it doesn't really harm the games flow; all the better!

All-in-all, I'm enjoying it so far and I'm looking forward to hopping back into it tomorrow night.
    One thing I'm not overly keen on is the weapon & praetor upgrade systems, I'm never overly arsed by such things in non-RPG type games, and I especially feel that it doesn't suit Doom. The process of upgrading takes too long and there are too many micro-tiers in which you could upgrade your equipment.
    For example, upgrade tiers that increase the blast radius of explosive projectiles, or shave half a second off the reloading time of a weapon mod; these are just a nuisance to manage, and managing them just slows down the pace of a game that is all about pace.

Advertisement