Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Halo was fine for what it was. great fun. it was made for a console and did its job very well in that regard.
    a game like doom shouldnt be dropping itself down and nerfing itself though. but hey, thats where the money is - QTE's and broadness. unrefined and gimped. ill still get doom, but i know what im getting into with it. multiplayer i wont be arsed with, why bother when quake live is around - strictly better in every way

BMMachine wrote: »
    Halo was fine for what it was. great fun. it was made for a console and did its job very well in that regard.
    a game like doom shouldnt be dropping itself down and nerfing itself though. but hey, thats where the money is - QTE's and broadness. unrefined and gimped. ill still get doom, but i know what im getting into with it. multiplayer i wont be arsed with, why bother when quake live is around - strictly better in every way

Quake Live?

Pffft, why bother when Battlezone perfected fps

latest?cb=20090828021304

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Except that it didn't.

The market may have disappeared for Arena Shooters, but Quake Live is the only one currently running that's any good and has any sort of significant community. The glut of class based MOBA style shooters that owe as much to Team Fortress 2 as DOTA or LoL that are on their way may change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Shiminay wrote: »
    Except that it didn't.

The market may have disappeared for Arena Shooters, but Quake Live is the only one currently running that's any good and has any sort of significant community. The glut of class based MOBA style shooters that owe as much to Team Fortress 2 as DOTA or LoL that are on their way may change that.

Off topic, but I've been playing a lot of Halo 5 recently and its made me realize how much I missed a straightforward arena shooter.
    setting up the perfect circle camp route on symmetrical maps, hitting the power weapons / powerups as they spawn, its just so incredibly tight, and does away with all the faffing around with loadouts / perks / attachements. Everyones on an equal footing from the get go.

At the same time, this new doom multiplayer trailer isn't doing anything for me, but I've access to the beta after wolfenstein, so I'll certainly give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not to turn this into a console vs. PC argument, slower paced FPS games have their place and all but it would be great to get another multiplayer FPS with the pace of UT or Quake 3. They just don't exist anymore.
    Well between Toxikk and Reflex in Early Access and the forthcoming Unreal Tournament reboot we should have a couple of decent ones to look forward to in the next year or so.

As for Doom, there's a bunch of cool stuff in the trailers so far but multiplayer wise, the addition of a progression system with unlocks, loadouts and universal ammo just don't really feel right to me. Granted I've not played it yet so it'll be interesting to see how it's received on launch.

• Advertisement

oh god, didnt realise it had unlocks and loadouts and that nonsense. The new UT is just UT3 btw, virtually no real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SwordsWest

I was able to get in on the alpha as well and definitely felt the gameplay was more evocative of Q3A or UT than Halo (or other console shooters for that matter).
    Very much looking forward to the release!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

A no nonsense trailer of DoomGuy just kicking ass. Love how hes in a hi-tech suit but also sporting the Super Shotgun from Doom II. Good ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Based on the trailer and some vids I've seen it just seems so...generic and boring. Very polished and professional but lacking in imagination and personality which the originals had in spades.

"Fight Like Hell"

But remember to stop and do a move thing all the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I have a xbone beta code for this weekend if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

The haste pickup is great. I wish the movement speed was like that all the time.

I decided to try one match using my 360 pad. I got first place.

That should not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Open beta for the weekend it seems. Looking forward to giving it a shot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Noxin wrote: »
    Open beta for the weekend it seems. Looking forward to giving it a shot later.

Cool, on what systems? What time does it launch in Ireland?

EDIT: Never Mind, I used the Google

For PS4
    On your PS4, Go to the PlayStation® Store.
    Select 'Search' from the top menu.
    In the search field, type 'DOOM.'
    Select 'DOOM Open Beta' from the search result list.
    Click the 'Download' button.

It's on all systems. Go into the store on either xbone or PS4 and it's there. Also on Steam for PC users.

Think it's already started but not totally sure.

All I wanted to do was try the game. If its as bad as it looks, its likely they have lost a sale by doing this open beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Game feels alright, like a faster Halo 1?

I'm utter rubbish at it though.

Also, demon mode seems a tiny bit OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So whats the deal with this open beta?
    All you need is xbox live gold (for example) and away you go?

faster, better version available here:
    http://www.quakelive.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭briany

Based on the trailer and some vids I've seen it just seems so...generic and boring. Very polished and professional but lacking in imagination and personality which the originals had in spades.

TotalBiscuit had a video on how most modern shooters, particularly AAA ones, are totally missing the point of what makes a good FPS game and how the best ones can really engage the player with rewarding exploration, with exploration aiding the player in the game. Now, to them, a good shooter may just be one that makes money, but if you look at the popular franchises of the last decade, they're still ones that had a bit of innovation and originality, so the goals of making money and a good engaging game can have a symbiosis.

• Advertisement

Loadouts. Low fov with motion blur for a "fast" game. Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Seems they've made the open beta and the full game separate apps on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/350470/

And I think I know why.

kecpxn.png

Uncomfortable levels of consumer dissent for Bethesda. All to be purged when the open beta is removed, of course. At that point it'll only be people who are willing to pay €60 for it that can leave a review... so of course the reviews are going to do a U-turn to mostly positive.

Loadouts. Low fov with motion blur for a "fast" game. Wtf

change it all in the settings? :rolleyes:

Just finished up a few games. Game is ok. Typical arena shooter. I dunno. I'm kinda meh. I'll play a little more over the weekend and see.

ok ill stop being cynical and download and play this tonight.

Noxin wrote: »
    change it all in the settings? :rolleyes:

Just finished up a few games. Game is ok. Typical arena shooter. I dunno. I'm kinda meh. I'll play a little more over the weekend and see.

Oh loadouts can be removed in the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

meh

On PC it doesnt look great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Anobody else having trouble connecting? I'm just sat in the lobby waiting on a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

Pickpocket wrote: »
    Anobody else having trouble connecting? I'm just sat in the lobby waiting on a game.

I finally connected.

Ugly, boring and rather old-fashioned would be my initial assessment.

Oh loadouts can be removed in the settings?

Motion blur and fov can be changed in the actual settings. Loadouts can be changed when you unlock custom loadouts. Happens at lvl 2 I think. One round should let you do it,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

played on both ps4 and steam, bitterly disappointing and doesnt feel anything like doom. graphics look like they are from 20 years ago. Didnt like the weapons much, the sound effects or music. Will wait for a full review when the game comes out before committing to anything. I was a huge fan of the original doom and quake games on pc.

Advertisement