Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched about 1 minute of that '12 minutes on single player video' -Think i'm sold. Very Doom 3 esque there. But judging from previous trailers it's also very Doom 1 esque too.

But...
    Cormac... wrote: »
    It looks fun, but is it ~€60 launch day fun? I don't know :/

You're absolutely right. Is it worth 60 euro tho. TBH, I have a hard time paying 60 euro for any game these days. I've paid full price for too many games over the years with mixed results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

MP is awful, if you're into more fast paced gameplay check out Unreal Tournament 4, its in pre alpha but free to download and play. It's still very rough and incomplete but very playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My interest has been piqued again by the SP stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The PC DVD is £30 on Amazon at the moment. Thats €38. I presume it can be just installed and linked with Steam rather than buying it from Steam at €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You're absolutely right. Is it worth 60 euro tho. TBH, I have a hard time paying 60 euro for any game these days. I've paid full price for too many games over the years with mixed results.

I'm going to make a very confident bet that it's not going to be worth even €30 :p The original Doom was shareware ffs and it's still the king decades later meanwhile this thing will be forgotten next season.

I picked up the Ultimate Doom for €2.69 on GOG. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Looks like fun to me. If I can sit down for a couple of hours playing it without throwing a controller at the TV... great (currently playing souls 3!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think they went the wrong way around by marketing the game so much by focusing on multiplayer rather than (up to now) just giving us tidbits of SP, which was the only thing I was interested in.

I'll never be used to seeing a FPS being played with a controller though, seems so robotic and un-natural in movement. Not a dig at consoles, it's just the only genre I never liked to play on them.

• Duggy747 wrote: »
    I think they went the wrong way around by marketing the game so much by focusing on multiplayer rather than (up to now) just giving us tidbits of SP, which was the only thing I was interested in.

I'll never be used to seeing a FPS being played with a controller though, seems so robotic and un-natural in movement. Not a dig at consoles, it's just the only genre I never liked to play on them.

Spot on about the marketing, a big blunder IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Spot on about the marketing, a big blunder IMO

I'm going to disagree.

I'd say most people on consoles play FPS games for the multiplayer myself included.

I don't think i even played the Halo 4 story mode for example. Straight into the multiplayer.

Same with COD modern warfare when I was playing a bit of that.

I suppose what I'm saying is they're just marketing what they feel people want to play.

All about sales rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I always go straight into the single player in fps games. Besides Doom was always about the single player, Quake was multiplayer by tradition going back.

I always go straight into the single player in fps games. Besides Doom was always about the single player, Quake was multiplayer by tradition going back.

Don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with that but I still reckon they've marketed it on what they believe will drive sales.

Sure wolfenstein the new order for the most part was a really good FPS and it was only single player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

A massive part of it's success was down to the multiplayer, but I know what you mean :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only realised last night there's no co-op in the single player campaign after a co-op brutal doom session with some mates. There's only co-op in the level editor stages. I just hope there's a few available on release.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'm going to disagree.

I'd say most people on consoles play FPS games for the multiplayer myself included.

I don't think i even played the Halo 4 story mode for example. Straight into the multiplayer.

Same with COD modern warfare when I was playing a bit of that.

I suppose what I'm saying is they're just marketing what they feel people want to play.

All about sales rightly or wrongly.

and thats why we have a shit nerfed game instead of the id game we deserve. Its exactly why Carmack left (check out his quakecon address before Rage came out). Gimped games for players with lower standards

oh but hey you get to press a button and watch your character put a shotgun in a demons eye. awesome, right

BMMachine wrote: »
    and thats why we have a shit nerfed game instead of the id game we deserve. Its exactly why Carmack left (check out his quakecon address before Rage came out). Gimped games for players with lower standards

oh but hey you get to press a button and watch your character put a shotgun in a demons eye. awesome, right

Yup it's not ideal for the enthusiast but it's just giving the people what they want.

I don't agree with it but it's life. Money money money.

• Might wait to pass judgement until it's available for review / play? :/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

When you have grown so used to the smell of shite you can always tell when a turd is on its way :p
    Im sure the single player will be relatively fun and such, QTE's and all, but nothing spectacular. Just a run of the mill game, which is exactly what Doom should not be. A lot of games falling under this mediocre run of the mill category designed for the lowest common denominator. Still great games being released of course, just a shame that something as iconic as Doom is being ruined by the low standards set.

I want to play this now, all because of the music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I want to play this now, all because of the music

Oh god no. That trailer did nothing for me.

• Advertisement

Oh god no. That trailer did nothing for me.

Shhhhhh. I can't hear you over the nostalgia.

• When are the reviews out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

When are the reviews out?

no reviews are coming out till at least a few days aftr launch because review copies were not sent out is what iv read

• biggebruv wrote: »
    no reviews are coming out till at least a few days aftr launch because review copies were not sent out is what iv read

Spotted on IGN that the review copies only available on launch day.
    Outsourcing this multiplayer seems to have put Bethesda in a panic IMO.
    Thank **** this isn't the case for Single Player which is the only thing I think most fans give a **** about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

That's some Nail-in-the-Coffin tier rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Cormac... wrote: »

its pretty rubbish alright im good though il eat up every inch of uncharted first then start looking into doom
    it does look like a fun game though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Outsourcing this multiplayer seems to have put Bethesda in a panic IMO.
    Thank **** this isn't the case for Single Player which is the only thing I think most fans give a **** about.

Tis' the only thing I give a shít about, I just want a good action romp in single player.

Hopefully it'll deliver.

• Cormac... wrote: »

??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

With the amount of quality games that came out in the last year to 18 months that I haven't played yet, there's not a hope this is worth full whack to me. I'd surprise myself if I buy it in a sale in x years for <€10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

??

I always find it a worrying sign when Review copies don't drop until Release day since it's never a sign of an Amazing game and is most often a sign of a sub-par one

Advertisement