Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Cormac... wrote: »
    I always find it a worrying sign when Review copies don't drop until Release day since it's never a sign of an Amazing game and is most often a sign of a sub-par one

I find it a worrying sign that it's being released on.. dun dunn dunnnn

Friday the 13th! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Friday the 13th! :pac:

Full intentional :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If anyone has over an hour to spare watch this:

It's an interesting documentary about ID software but overall it's how the first Doom came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Full intentional :cool:

Doubtless yeah, could easily swing against them though if it turns out to be a flop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Have not been impressed with what I've seen of Doom so far, and to me, this looks better.

• Advertisement

Is there much excitement or hype for the new game? Even at this stage in not seeing it :confused:

Certainly for a game with it's name and history there doesn't seem to be the levels of hype I'd expect.

Is there much excitement or hype for the new game? Even at this stage in not seeing it :confused:

Certainly for a game with it's name and history there doesn't seem to be the levels of hype I'd expect.

I see a lot of adverts for it on TV (I think Sky Atlantic and Fox HD)

I see a lot of adverts for it on TV (I think Sky Atlantic and Fox HD)

2 of THE MOST watched channels available. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

2 of THE MOST watched channels available. :rolleyes:

I've seen it on other channels that aren't the above (not sky channels either).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,004 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Doom PC + DLC €30.90

From cdkeys.com

• Advertisement

• Is there much excitement or hype for the new game? Even at this stage in not seeing it :confused:

They are pushing it on TV to be fair.

Doom holds a special place in my heart. (Edit* funny when i read that back) I'm still holding faith in MachineGames to deliver a great campaign.
    The one thing I can say is that when Wolfienstien: The New Order released Bethesda didn't send review copies until launch also.

Would like to add Marty Stratton from iD Software is directing this. He worked on Rage which is another one of my favorite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

The UFC event from Rotterdam last Sunday was proudly brought to you by Doom.

Watched this this morning on way in to work. Graphically it looks sooo much better than the multiplayer. I may change my mind on this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have to say, that video does a good job hyping the single player. I'll definitely pick this up at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Going to go with Overwatch instead of this, but more than likely pick it up later, players have been spoiled with Battleborn, Doom and Overwatch in the space of 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looks cool and fast paced anyway

Achievement/Trophy list looks surprisingly easy, and very few multi player ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Every video I've seen of this seems to suffer from a terminal case of blandness in art design. Whatever about the gameplay - which seems unapologetically old school, for better or worse - the generic sci-fi backgrounds just look super dull, to the point where I'm already sort of fed up of the locales based on a few short videos :pac:. One would hope the more hellish stages have a bit more imagination.

I guess that's one of the curses of Doom - the sort of settings and art style it pioneered are now as familiar as can be. But even with that in mind, nothing I've seen suggests the sense of imaginative grotesqueries this sort of material needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Xenji wrote: »
    Going to go with Overwatch instead of this, but more than likely pick it up later, players have been spoiled with Battleborn, Doom and Overwatch in the space of 21 days.

Yeah I was going to pick it up at launch but I think I'll wait till it's at the €20 odd price point.

I'm very tempted by Overwatch though. I watched a bit of footage around the beta and it looked like great fun. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play it though.

A lot of quality titles out in general at the moment though you're right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A lot of quality titles out in general at the moment though you're right there.

It's a nice change this year with all the delayed games coming out when the typical summer lull in games tends to happen. It's more like November.

• JT26 wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoying slaying some Demon?

From the readings here, Sounds like I will be only person slaying demons on Friday the 13th :P

Will let you know later how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Game wasn't ready to play by 1:15am so I'll be playing when I get home from work.

• Can't find it on Argos as of yet which is surprising...

Smyths pricing is steep at 64.99

LOLStop @ 74.99 so **** that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They are pushing it on TV to be fair.

Doom holds a special place in my heart. (Edit* funny when i read that back) I'm still holding faith in MachineGames to deliver a great campaign.
    The one thing I can say is that when Wolfienstien: The New Order released Bethesda didn't send review copies until launch also.

Would like to add Marty Stratton from iD Software is directing this. He worked on Rage which is another one of my favorite games.

Didn't realise that MachineGames were developing this! Thought this looked like generic dreck from the bits I'd seen, but that was my reaction to W:TNO as well and that turned out to be the biggest surprise of 2014 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

anybody pick this up in argos ??

its not on the website

biggebruv wrote: »
    anybody pick this up in argos ??

its not on the website

Was just checking myself and saw it wasn't on the website, have to pass it when I'm out with the wee one so I'll pop in and check the shop then.

• Was just checking myself and saw it wasn't on the website, have to pass it when I'm out with the wee one so I'll pop in and check the shop then.

Get the catalog number if you can, think the same was done on when Uncharted 4 released Tuesday. It wasn't on the website on the day of launch.

Some anedotal stuff since theres no reviews out yet. Obviously plenty of bias in this

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/theres-a-fight-going-on-in-dooms-steam-reviews/

• Advertisement

• Cormac... wrote: »
    Some anedotal stuff since theres no reviews out yet. Obviously plenty of bias in this

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/theres-a-fight-going-on-in-dooms-steam-reviews/

Steam Reviews are as bad as comments on n4g or metacritic IMO

Advertisement