Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom

Options

Comments

• Moiph wrote: »
    How does the TSB thing work? I've registered for it and I know I need to use the card I've registered with, but does the money go back into your account or something? Hoping to pickup Doom with this offer tonight!

Yes, 10 euro should deposit back into your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ewww, bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Yes, 10 euro should deposit back into your account.

Nice one! Just reserved it in Argos so I'm gonna pick it up before they close. Will post back here later with some feedback on it :)

• So my thoughts so far...spoiler free of course.

I'm 2 1/2 Hours in....

Started the game on Ultra-Violence which is very challenging.

Some key points so far:

Health and armor pickups no regenerating health :)

No reloading :)

Movement is smooth and fast paced. People had me concerned from the multiplayer beta but there is nothing floaty about the movement at all. Maybe this is still the case for the multiplayer but I can't comment on that yet.
    Level design and layout really reminds me of Duke 3d / Doom 1 (there is even an automap showing the level layouts in finer detail which takes huge influence from the auto-map in the original Doom). Environments so far consist of a mix of base type levels and outdoor sections in Mars.
    Maps are surprisingly expansive and there are loads of intricate secrets to be found. It's not fruitless collectibles either they relate to armor and weapon tweaks. Doors are typically locked by keys or via terminals. It's also not as linear as I would have expected in that there can be multiple objectives but which one you chose first is up to you.

The sound and animations, weapons feel meaty. I have only found 3 weapons so far but each have there own uses and quickly switching between them and the chainsaw / glory kills can lead to some really exhilarating game-play.
    Not really a spoiler but a particular gore nest I kept getting killed at earlier on was all my own fault. I wasn't mixing up my weapon usage enough. You have to keep consistently moving our your dead in seconds. Minds you some of the death scenes are class.
    When I finally cleared the zone after my fourth attempt it was so satisfying that everything came off perfect.

To add to the above point: If you had concerns over the glory kills don't be.
    They only work when you weaken an enemy (the stronger the enemy the harder it is to pull off a glory kill) and they can leave more susceptible to being killed if you are being attacked from all angles.
    What makes them an addition to the gameplay is that if pull off a glory kill the precious health is essential in keeping you alive. This is key considering how easy it is to die.

In one scenario I was faced with about 10+ enemies and one stronger demon in particular I was focused on (I won't say what) but the imps surrounding him kept ripping me to shreds.
    So I changed my approach and concentrated on the imps first (while continuously moving and mixing in both chainsaw / shotgun and glory kills. My health was low but I avoided his attacks by doing so. Quickly jumped up to the health packs the immediately fired a secondary blast from the assault rifle (Loads of variations of upgrades to note) it staggered him so I jumped down in mid-air I let off a shotgun blast and then finished him off with an epic glory kill.
    It was just class. Very hard to explain in words but it all happened so fast.

Oh yea did I say already...the chainsaw :):):)
    You need to collect fuel to use it which actually makes sense to me as it would be overpowered if it had unlimited usage.

So far I have a big grin on my face :)
    Freaking love MachineGames BTW

• CS Hasuki wrote: »
    So, Is it good on ps4? 60fps?

No slowdown whatsoever considering the amount of **** going on on-screen at any given time, looks great @ 1080P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1080p chumps. Going to try this at 3440x1440!

My prediction: a chuggy mess and a quick drop back to 1440p!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is that the new Tiger Woods game?

uzMNNRa.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And after my bragging my PC can only handle 1080p at ultra settings.

I think I need a 1080 GTX.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And after my bragging my PC can only handle 1080p at ultra settings.

I think I need a 1080 GTX.
    It wont go higher than 1080p on PC which is surprising. It just upscales to 1440p and so on.

It wont go higher than 1080p on PC which is surprising. It just upscales to 1440p and so on.

I think when I choose 1440p it's rendering at 3440x1440 and just adding letterboxing. Both 1440p and 3440x1440 are running at the same framerates but 1080p is silky smooth. even more annoying is I can't choose the 1080p version of ultra widescreen only the 1440 one.

I'm sure it will be patched out.

Anyway on to the game. Combat is just super fun in the game so far. I'm going to start it again and play on ultra violence. The added challenge will only help I feel. Level design is great, very vertical and lots of tactical positioning is required. Also liking the more CGI cartoon look to the game, looks a lot less generic when you are playing it. I haven't played a FPS game with combat this satisfying since Wolfenstein New Order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Love it. Love it. Love it.

The pace is crazy which makes the combat nice and tense, and it feels so smooth. I was worried about the lukewarm beta reviews, but I didn't realise that the multiplayer was made by a different company, so a complete difference in gameplay between campaign and MP (by all accounts; I haven't tried the latter myself).

Sticking it up to ultra violence makes the game even better. All the combat systems click into place. You have to be constantly moving which is at odds with most other shooters these days and enemies are deadly, even the lesser enemies. The much maligned glory kills are actually genius. Getting health back from them is essential in staying alive and feels like the health regain mechanic in Bloodbourne is a way. The inter play between each weapon and the mods is also very satisfying.

It's such a great mechanically sound combat system, it's like if Platinum created a FPS game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

SP is quite good, runs at 50 FPS on my PC in Ultra mode.

Doesnt look great in fairness not sure what the ULTRA part is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Skerries wrote: »
    is that the new Tiger Woods game?

[IMG][/img]

91qewYg.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Played a bit of SP there. Pretty fun, reminds me of Doom3 crossed with Bulletstorm.

• http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-review-in-progress/1100-6439804/

Gamespot's early thoughts for anyone considering picking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's reviewing really well (single player anyway). I'll definitely pick this up now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's a lot of fun. If you've played the new Wolfenstein you'll know what to expect more or less. Big meaty fast action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

5uspect wrote: »
    It's a lot of fun. If you've played the new Wolfenstein you'll know what to expect more or less. Big meaty fast action.

This is me sold. Loved the new wolfenstein

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

One thing I loved and such a throw back to original Doom. If in a sticky situation try to get the demons to attack each other. They seem to take down each other health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

:eek:
    One thing I loved and such a throw back to original Doom. If in a sticky situation try to get the demons to attack each other. They seem to take down each other health.

Not enough games allow enemies to hurt each other. Max Payne even had this although it was seldom to occur it was pretty neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,004 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

FYI, for anyone on the fence about this

Doom (on PC) lowest euro price at the mo - €32.99

• Couple of Reviews starting to pop-up;

As expected Single Player is a beast
    Multiplayer is meh

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/doom-review/

Can't wait to get stuck in again this evening as the weather took away from my Doom time @ the weekend

*Edit*

Another 3 here

https://www.n3rdabl3.co.uk/2016/05/14/156110/doom-campaign-review-hell-good-time/

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/05/15/doom-2016-review-meat-grinder-ps4/

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/264338/doom-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Can't wait to get stuck in again this evening as the weather took away from my Doom time @ the weekend

Black out Blinds FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

My computer is in a bit of a knackered state and I'm too poor at the moment, will have to put this aside for a while.

Good to hear that the SP is fun, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    FYI, for anyone on the fence about this

Doom (on PC) lowest euro price at the mo - €32.99

Grey-market key reseller.
    BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Be informed about key resellers.

*edit*
    FWIW, it's £30 on Amazon UK with Steam code in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

For anyone who is playing. Jump into the liquid metal in "The Foundry" level. The Easter Egg is well worth it ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Grey-market key reseller.
    BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Be informed about key resellers.

*edit*
    FWIW, it's £30 on Amazon UK with Steam code in the box.

CD keys isnt grey market. Lots of boards users buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CD keys isnt grey market. Lots of boards users buy from them.

"If it's too good to be true - it probably is."

In regards to your uninformed post:

Grey market = non-official channels. Many of the popular, cheap key sites get their keys not directly from the publisher, but rather from other regions and/or 3rd-party resellers.
    If you've ever been burned on a key that was invalid / already used, this is why.

Also, just because "loads of boardsies" do X, doesn't make it legal.
    I bet loads of boardsies used to buy their PS1 games in "markets" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    "If it's too good to be true - it probably is."

In regards to your uninformed post:

Grey market = non-official channels. Many of the popular, cheap key sites get their keys not directly from the publisher, but rather from other regions and/or 3rd-party resellers.
    If you've ever been burned on a key that was invalid / already used, this is why.

Also, just because "loads of boardsies" do X, doesn't make it legal.
    I bet loads of boardsies used to buy their PS1 games in "markets" :rolleyes:
    So, you're basically calling boardies who have been purchasing keys from CD keys for the last few years morons who can't tell the difference between above board keys from official resellers and some shady resellers on G2a. Nice.

I think you should have researched CDKEYS first before posting claiming they are grey market keys.

Nice one Mr.Informed :)

Advertisement