Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Feeding Times

• 24-02-2016 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

As the title suggests I am wondering about my dogs feeding times and when they should change. He is an 8 month old golden retriever and we currently feed him 3 times a day. Lately I've noticed that he spends ages licking his bowl and pushing it around the room after finishing his meal like he hasn't had enough. I know I am feeding him the correct weight of food per day based on his age, weight and activity so I'm wondering if now is the time to switch to feeding twice a day instead of 3 in order to satisfy him at mealtimes more? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

As the title suggests I am wondering about my dogs feeding times and when they should change. He is an 8 month old golden retriever and we currently feed him 3 times a day. Lately I've noticed that he spends ages licking his bowl and pushing it around the room after finishing his meal like he hasn't had enough. I know I am feeding him the correct weight of food per day based on his age, weight and activity so I'm wondering if now is the time to switch to feeding twice a day instead of 3 in order to satisfy him at mealtimes more? What are your thoughts?

He is old enough now for twice a day. Are you going by the guidelines on the bag of food? If so I would recommend you actually go by the condition on the dog. If he is well covered but you can feel his ribs & he has a waistline then he is fine. Dogs will always look for more food, my own included. So don't worry if he always seems hungry!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Get used to it as that's likely to be a life long experience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you're feeding kibble a Kong Wobbler is great for slowing things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

My golden retriever is nearly 4 years old. Of that he has thought of food for 99% of that time. It will never change. Better to keep him trim and take part of his dinner for treats during the day or with his toys for entertainment. Still scoffs his dinner twice a day in about 10 seconds, just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I have no feeding times
    My lab has a bowl filled with nuts a day and eat from it when she wants
    In the evening she gets a bowl with bread and some meat and that s it

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My cocker was the same, the bowl would be sparkling clean when she'd finished because she'd have licked every single crumb out of it. When it came to food she had no 'off' switch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dogs react to food differently. My terriers would have, and on occasion did, eat their dinner, another dog's dinner, and then raided the food bag. Finn tends to eat about 75% of each meal and save a few mouthfuls for if he gets peckish later.

Advertisement