Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This forum is non-functional

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That logic makes a big assumption: that boards.ie reflects the country. Obviously not. And these specific board don't even reflect the generality of boards.ie The A&A forum has a surfet of young, militant, in your face, nihilistic secularists, who are happy to relieve their own frustrations by playing hunt the Christians over here.

Most Catholics/Christians are happy with their faith, and don't see the need to roam the internet in search of quarrels.

This made my day. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

who are happy to relieve their own frustrations by playing hunt the Christians over here.

Funny, coming from somebody who just posted a conspiracy theory end of days link about Trump in the atheist forum where it has zero relevance,

Most Catholics/Christians are happy with their faith, and don't see the need to roam the internet in search of quarrels.

They are also happy with equality issues, as we saw from the 62% vote in May in favor of marriage equality.

You however appear to be very much an exception and decide to preach hatred, you certainly do no represent the avg Catholics/Christians in Ireland.

You appear to be a hateful exception and you in no way represent the Catholics I know and love in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Cabaal wrote: »
    Funny, coming from somebody who just posted a conspiracy theory end of days link about Trump in the atheist forum where it has zero relevance,
    Whatever about relevance, it is where it is clearly most needed.
    They are also happy with equality issues, as we saw from the 62% vote in May in favor of marriage equality.

Happily, where I live voted against homosexual couplings.
    You however appear to be very much an exception and decide to preach hatred, you certainly do no represent the avg Catholics/Christians in Ireland. You appear to be a hateful exception.
    Hate, oh dearie no. But I do intensely dislike the hijacking of this forum, for sport, by an organized grouping of those with professed non-beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I was on the bus to Sligo in the middle of the day, just before the same-sex marriage referendum, with a bunch of older people (older than me, I'm 50 this year), and we were all chatting about the issue. I said, "You know, I'm from a state in America that has come out as vehemently against same-sex marriage. It baffles me. I have a lot of gay and bi friends. I'm straight as quality control in a ruler factory, so either I'm not interested in them, or they're not interested in me. Why should I make it my business who they bump bits with, so long as everyone's happy?" And the busful of lovely elders nodded and laughed, except for one grumpy lady who said, "But it's against God's...", which was about as far as she got before she withered under the cool stares of her cohort. (Surely they weren't an atheist group, lol.)

You have the right to your opinion. You don't have the right to force others to accommodate you and give you a microphone. You have the freedom to speak your opinion. You don't have the right to force others to agree with you or even listen to you. You have the right to live your life according to your opinion. But you don't have the right to impose that life on others unjustly. You have the right to be wrong. You don't have the right to be wrong to other people.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I was on the bus to Sligo in the middle of the day, just before the same-sex marriage referendum, with a bunch of older people (older than me, I'm 50 this year), and we were all chatting about the issue. I said, "You know, I'm from a state in America that has come out as vehemently against same-sex marriage. It baffles me. I have a lot of gay and bi friends. I'm straight as quality control in a ruler factory, so either I'm not interested in them, or they're not interested in me. Why should I make it my business who they bump bits with, so long as everyone's happy?" And the busful of lovely elders nodded and laughed, except for one grumpy lady who said, "But it's against God's...", which was about as far as she got before she withered under the cool stares of her cohort.

A perfect example of intolerance and censorship of opposing views. By those who preach tolerance and inclusion, of course... nothing but hypocrisy on the grand scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

A perfect example of intolerance and censorship of opposing views. By those who preach tolerance and inclusion, of course... nothing but hypocrisy on the grand scale.
    Are you opposed to tolerance and inclusion? By homosexual unions, do you mean marriage?

Oh, right, "censorship". Did you read my second paragraph?

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

That logic makes a big assumption: that boards.ie reflects the country. Obviously not. And these specific board don't even reflect the generality of boards.ie The A&A forum has a surfet of young, militant, in your face, nihilistic secularists, who are happy to relieve their own frustrations by playing hunt the Christians over here.
    "hunt the Christians" (presuming this means attacking Christian posters) is against the charter, so if you see it happening please report it.
    Hate, oh dearie no. But I do intensely dislike the hijacking of this forum, for sport, by an organized grouping of those with professed non-beliefs.
    Non-Christians are allowed to participate in this forum once they don't breach the charter. This isn't a forum for Christians only.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Aren't you calling for censorship of this forum? Hell, you even think it's an indictment against this country's education system that they aren't preaching young Earth creationism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Presumably you mean surfeit? Anyway - young? I will be 70 within the next 12 months; and I am not the only older person, what do you consider young?

Militant - no, I am an aging hippy.

In your face, well yes I suppose I am that occasionally.

Nihilist? Where have any of the atheists here shown that they reject all moral and religious principles? We may not have religious beliefs, but many of the Christian principles are fine. Moral principles? well it depends on what you base your morality, but I don't think atheist are any more lacking than anyone else.

Secularists, definitely.

And the only frustrations I suffer on boards are those caused by trolling.

Meanwhile, come on lads, where is this atheist headquarters that is co-ordinating attacks on Christianity? I want to play, what is the password?

Actually, "surfeit". Carry on :)

Actually, "surfeit". Carry on :)

Thank you, amended.

MOD NOTE
    So lets see, 14 posts in a row, from those-who-cannot-be-named, having some sort of organized internal fun-fest. And hijacking this thread in the process. Earlier, one of the willfully blind asked for examples of what I complained of. Well here it is.
    Less of that please. Attack the post, not the poster(s).

Less of that please. This thread is for feedback on this forum, not for attacking/commenting on posters in other forums.

Please try to keep to the topic.

Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Why should any topic, whether religion or otherwise, be above criticism and ridicule? I don't understand why forum rules should try to impose restrictions which stifle objective discussion. Trolling and flaming etc are not acceptable in any forum including here.

It seems to me the only reason for ring fencing christianity from challenge and ridicule is supporters of the subject matter don't feel confident enough to defend criticism of it themselves which says a lot really.

No idea or subject, particularly one which has no basis in fact, should be given special protective status. This is supposed to be a free country not a fascist dictatorship. If you can't defend your ideas you shouldn't seek to hide behind makey uppey rules of engagement whose only purpose is to prevent discussion.......on a discussion forum :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Why should any topic, whether religion or otherwise, be above criticism and ridicule? I don't understand why forum rules should try to impose restrictions which stifle objective discussion. Trolling and flaming etc are not acceptable in any forum including here.

It seems to me the only reason for ring fencing christianity from challenge and ridicule is supporters of the subject matter don't feel confident enough to defend criticism of it themselves which says a lot really.

No idea or subject, particularly one which has no basis in fact, should be given special protective status. This is supposed to be a free country not a fascist dictatorship. If you can't defend your ideas you shouldn't seek to hide behind makey uppey rules of engagement whose only purpose is to prevent discussion.......on a discussion forum :o

If that's the case then paragraph (1) of the charter should be removed.

I don't know whether there are any cyclists amonst you, but try challenging cycling per se in any way whatsover on the cycling forum and you won't last very long.

So what type of a forum is this to be moving forward - continual clashes between believers and non-believers or a place primarily where Christians and would be Christians can debate and discuss topics of interest to them ?

• Advertisement

So what type of a forum is this to be moving forward - continual clashes between believers and non-believers or a place primarily where Christians and would be Christians can debate and discuss topics of interest to them ?

Sure, let's also give people who believe the moon is made of green cheese a separate, locked-off forum where they can discuss what kind of cheese, without having to deal with people who point to moon rocks. I'm all for that.

Sure, let's also give people who believe the moon is made of green cheese a separate, locked-off forum where they can discuss what kind of cheese.

And those who don't can set up their own forum for 'people who don't believe the moon is made of green cheese a separate, locked-off forum where they can discuss what kind of cheese.' ;)

And those who don't can set up their own forum for 'people who don't believe the moon is made of green cheese a separate, locked-off forum where they can discuss what kind of cheese.' ;)

Did you really miss the point by that much? Let's try again.

Putting people on an island where they can hear only what they agree with is a bad thing.

Did you really miss the point by that much? Let's try again.

Putting people on an island where they can hear only what they agree with is a bad thing.[/B]

Ah right - your concern for our spiritual welfare is deeply touching :rolleyes:

Ah right - your concern for our spiritual welfare is deeply touching :rolleyes:

My concern with your relationship with reality should be pretty impressive, to be sure. Like I said in the second post of this thread, if faith can't stand up to scrutiny, then what kind of faith is it? Is God so small?

• Advertisement

My concern with your relationship with reality should be pretty impressive, to be sure. Like I said in the second post of this thread, if faith can't stand up to scrutiny, then what kind of faith is it? Is God so small?

Do you bother to read the charter at all ? I'm personally not engaging in discussion outside the terms of the charter. ;)

I don't know whether there are any cyclists amonst you, but try challenging cycling per se in any way whatsover on the cycling forum and you won't last very long.

Absolutely agree with para 1. It is true that every thread would be overrun with people just making rude noises about the existence of god, rather than debating the issue. Just creating a base line for discussion - we accept that believers are entitled to believe - does not mean that their beliefs cannot be challenged on other levels though.

There are threads on here where believers can talk about their beliefs and no-one else goes near them. Solodeogloria is making noble attempts to discuss bible texts, the only person that has responded is The Chieftain,and he is just contradicting rather than trying to find anything positive.

Where Christian opinions impinge on everyone else (non-Christians) though, then people are going to comment, and since this is a discussion forum rather than an echo chamber, that is only reasonable.

Do you bother to read the charter at all ? I'm personally not engaging in discussion outside the terms of the charter. ;)

I believe the person who raised those questions first, in antiquity, was one of the Christian fathers. They are questions that Christians should address if they plan to be interacting with non-Christians in the manner of Matthew 10:16.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actually, if somebody creates a well constructive post/thread on the cycling forum they certainly won't be banned, if it encourages debate then it'll be allowed.

However if they do a drive by posting thats troll like (like most of the stuff they get thats anti-cycling) then they deserve what happens. The same currently happens in this forum and that is very much a good thing!

Expecting this forum to get special protection is wrong, the atheist forum doesn't get special protection and neither does the Islamic forum. So why should the Christian forum get some special status?

Interesting response

As it happens I am one of those weekend cycling warriors (a MAMIL :o) but I'm not a fundamentalist :D The point you make is, I believe, counter to your argument. The reason you don't get very far in the cycling forum criticising cyclists (and many who break the rules of the road i.e. running red lights etc) deserve heavy criticism is that cyclists have counter arguments which they advance when challenged. They don't need to hide behind the apron strings of bizzarre forum rules which basically restrict discussion to patting each other on the back for bring great christians (cyclists etc etc - insert your topic of choice)
    Perhaps so. Perhaps before being allowed to post in the forum you had to confirm you were a practising christian that would keep the discussion focused on interpretation of the bible and whatever else it is christians want to discuss. The problem with that however is twofold:-

1. Christians are never happy to just discussing their beliefs amongst themselves. They feel an obligation to pollute everyone elses airways with their makey uppey imaginary friend stuff which in turn makes them fair game for criticism and ridicule. If they just kept to themselves and the forum was just for confirmed practising christians all would be fine.

2. The forum would probably be a very lonely and sterile place with a few fundamentalist christians trying to outdo each other in their knowledge or practice of the faith.

I'd be quite happy for the christian forum to be only open to practising christians to post in providing non christians can still see the content as a reminder that such people and beliefs still exist and of course as a source of humour ;)

The atheist forums don't insist on being an atheist-only vacuum, do they? If they don't, it's because they feel their views stand up to scrutiny. If they do, they should damn well cut it out.

This forum isn't Christian-only, and I can't see it ever getting approval to move to that type of forum.

1. Christians are never happy to just discussing their beliefs amongst themselves. They feel an obligation to pollute everyone elses airways with their makey uppey imaginary friend stuff which in turn makes them fair game for criticism and ridicule. If they just kept to themselves and the forum was just for confirmed practising christians all would be fine.

2. The forum would probably be a very lonely and sterile place with a few fundamentalist christians trying to outdo each other in their knowledge or practice of the faith.

I'd be quite happy for the christian forum to be only open to practising christians to post in providing non christians can still see the content as a reminder that such people and beliefs still exist and of course as a source of humour ;)

With that sort of arrogant attitude why do you think any Christian would want to discuss anything with you ?

Interesting response

As it happens I am one of those weekend cycling warriors (a MAMIL :o) but I'm not a fundamentalist :D The point you make is, I believe, counter to your argument. The reason you don't get very far in the cycling forum criticising cyclists (and many who break the rules of the road i.e. running red lights etc) deserve heavy criticism is that cyclists have counter arguments which they advance when challenged. They don't need to hide behind the apron strings of bizzarre forum rules which basically restrict discussion to patting each other on the back for bring great christians (cyclists etc etc - insert your topic of choice)

Perhaps so. Perhaps before being allowed to post in the forum you had to confirm you were a practising christian that would keep the discussion focused on interpretation of the bible and whatever else it is christians want to discuss. The problem with that however is twofold:-

1. Christians are never happy to just discussing their beliefs amongst themselves. They feel an obligation to pollute everyone elses airways with their beliefs which in turn makes them fair game for discussion. If they just kept to themselves and the forum was just for confirmed practising christians all would be fine.

Sorted that for you.

Oops, was sorting that when steamengine posted

MOD NOTE

Please remember you're in the Christianity forum and as such that sort of language is not appropriate. Please bear this in mind in future postings.

Thanks for your attention.

• Advertisement

With that sort of arrogant attitude why do you think any Christian would want to discuss anything with you ?

Judge and jury there steam, not very Christian of you.

My tongue in cheek references summarise my view on religion, any religion, and are not contributions to a genuine discussion on the subject. I used the terms here specifically in relation to the forum rules and to counter act what I see as the arrogance of a group of people who seek special protection because they aren't prepared to engage in discussion in a normal manner the same as any other topic is discussed and challenged etc.

Judge and jury there steam, not very Christian of you.

My tongue in cheek references summarise my view on religion, any religion, and are not contributions to a genuine discussion on the subject. I used the terms here specifically in relation to the forum rules and to counter act what I see as the arrogance of a group of people who seek special protection because they aren't prepared to engage in discussion in a normal manner the same as any other topic is discussed and challenged etc.

how is it unreasonable to expect posters to rise above goading Chrisitian posters with such terms as the one you used ("makey uppey imaginary friend stuff")?

It essentially amounts to trolling. Why should it be permitted in this forum?

Well, a word to address the original objection: Christian Internet chat forums that exclude atheists and other heathens do exist. Plenty of them. If that is the sort of atmosphere Chieftain finds more congenial, I can find him a few links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good afternoon!

Dear, oh dear! It's a strange sight when the evangelical Christian agrees with most of what the atheists are posting.

The Christians do set the tone on this forum. We can make it the forum we want it to be. For me my hope and prayer is that the Christians can work towards two things here.

1. Building up the body of believers, the Christians on this forum in a more mature faith in Christ. To rejoice in Jesus together and to understand Him better.

2. Graciously and lovingly explain the hope that we have in Jesus to non-Christians. Respect and love them as people. Pray for them instead of seeing them as the dark evil people ruining the forum. There's enough blackness in my own heart before pointing at others. Jesus says to take the log out our own eyes before insisting on taking the speck out of others.

Why are we being so bitter to the atheists? I know I'm new but I have read this forum for some time. I'd like to welcome the atheists in here to give me a run for my money and I hope to get to know something of what they're like as people.

Anyone else want to put Jesus' teaching to practice here in how we post? Pray before posting. Think of the tone of what we say. We represent Him whether we like it or not.

Who's with me?

Much thanks in the grace of our Lord Jesus,
    solodeogloria

Delirium wrote: »
    how is it unreasonable to expect posters to rise above goading Chrisitian posters with such terms as the one you used ("makey uppey imaginary friend stuff")?

It essentially amounts to trolling. Why should it be permitted in this forum?

I'm not challenging you Delirium and I won't use the term again in this forum but in the context of a discussion about bizarre forum rules, rather than a discussion about christianity in general or a specific issue within christianity, I didn't think being truthful about how I view religious believers was out of bounds. If it is/was I apologise. I have no intention to upset or goad people.

I'm not challenging you Delirium and I won't use the term again in this forum but in the context of a discussion about bizarre forum rules, rather than a discussion about christianity in general or a specific issue within christianity, I didn't think being truthful about how I view religious believers was out of bounds. If it is/was I apologise. I have no intention to upset or goad people.

It is if it's insulting to them/their beliefs. Plenty of other forums would take the same line.

Good afternoon!

Dear, oh dear! It's a strange sight when the evangelical Christian agrees with most of what the atheists are posting.

The Christians do set the tone on this forum. We can make it the forum we want it to be. For me my hope and prayer is that the Christians can work towards two things here.

1. Building up the body of believers, the Christians on this forum in a more mature faith in Christ. To rejoice in Jesus together and to understand Him better.

2. Graciously and lovingly explain the hope that we have in Jesus to non-Christians. Respect and love them as people. Pray for them instead of seeing them as the dark evil people ruining the forum. There's enough blackness in my own heart before pointing at others. Jesus says to take the log out our own eyes before insisting on taking the speck out of others.

Why are we being so bitter to the atheists? I know I'm new but I have read this forum for some time. I'd like to welcome the atheists in here to give me a run for my money and I hope to get to know something of what they're like as people.

Anyone else want to put Jesus' teaching to practice here in how we post? Pray before posting. Think of the tone of what we say. We represent Him whether we like it or not.

Who's with me?

Much thanks in the grace of our Lord Jesus,
    solodeogloria

Good post and you sound like the kind of person who has the confidence in your beliefs to positively respond to criticism rather than hide behind the unique rules which seem to apply to this forum.

One question which is more grammatical than religious. Why do you capitalise the word "him"? I understand why the name Jesus would be capitalised but not the word "him".

It's going to get even stranger. I'm going to thank you for posting this. You seem very sincere, and along with sincerity comes a willingness to argue in good faith and tolerance. I would be happy to engage with you in the same sincerity, good faith, and tolerance. As someone who has been where you are, however, I cannot always guarantee that what I say will be comfortable or pleasant, but I can promise to not make it more unpleasant by treating you like a child or a liar. If you'd like to have a discussion with me, publicly or privately, I'd like to invite you to do so.

I am with Speedwell on this. I do not wish to get into discussion on biblical texts (though I did a good deal of it in my youth) but on general topics I would be more than happy to contribute. And I undertake to try to respond to courtesy and sincerity with the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭solodeogloria

Good post and you sound like the kind of person who has the confidence in your beliefs to positively respond to criticism rather than hide behind the unique rules which seem to apply to this forum.

One question which is more grammatical than religious. Why do you capitalise the word "him"? I understand why the name Jesus would be capitalised but not the word "him".

Good afternoon!

Thank you for your question it's a good one.

In lots of English literature particularly when Christianity was more prevalent people capitalised Him to give God the rightful honour He deserves. Or indeed Jesus as God's Son.

I appreciate others mightn't be willing to do the same and even English Bibles don't. It's a matter of preference. I love and respect God in a way I respect nothing or nobody else. It's a way of showing that.

Does that make sense?

I'll be back online later God willing.

Much thanks in Christ Jesus,
    solodeogloria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Making this a Christian only forum won't change much. If you have a Protestant on a spit you'll have some of the Catholics here lining up to turn it pushing any Muslims or atheists out of the way.

Also I thought Christians were meant to be all welcoming and forgiving?

<resisting the urge to get into THAT capitalization discussion>
    <no matter how much of a grammar nerd I am>
    <it is a discussion for another thread entirely>

Making this a Christian only forum won't change much. If you have a Protestant on a spit you'll have some of the Catholics here lining up to turn it pushing any Muslims or atheists out of the way.

Also I thought Christians were meant to be all welcoming and forgiving?

Christians are supposed to be welcoming and forgiving, yes, but the same can be expected of anyone who thinks good society consists of the kind and tolerant. Solodeogloria is setting exactly the right tone. Let's show the Christians that it doesn't require a belief in God to be moral and loving.

Good afternoon!

If it helps I often find it somewhat scary when I agree with a evangelical Christian :pac: (saying this as an atheist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I wholeheartedly agree with solodeogloria too (and I’m neither an evangelical or an atheist!).

Should atheists be allowed to post here? Definitely, and it would be a poorer place without them. Yes, there are some passing antitheists looking to get a rise, but there have also been a few Christians posting here who haven’t exactly been a beacon of love and charity. We aren’t responsible for other people’s behaviour, but we are responsible for our own. Best to be polite and remember it’s another human being you’re talking to. We all have people that we are close to and care about who have different views on religion, politics, sport and so on but we mostly get along with them – thankfully people tend to behave a little better in real life than they do online.

I think the mods here do a very good job. It’s a difficult forum that can sometimes be a quite a negative place. I’ve no doubt the forum will be here for as long as Boards lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

OP, I asked you a question recently after you made a controversial point about the contents of the Bible. I asked you for a link to support your point.

Your responses included 'visit a church...we all have our problems...just trolling...spoon feeding babies' and so on. And now you complain that the forum is non-functional?

Forum (n) a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Whatsoever a man soweth, so shall he reap, my friend.

I am afraid I don't offer cures for willful blindness.

I am afraid I don't offer cures for willful blindness.

So you've joined a discussion forum but you clearly have zero interest in a discussion,

I'll give you a tip, if you are going to argue a point it helps to actually backup your mind by some means that can be referenced (even if it is the bible), otherwise you look extremely foolish.

While I don't agree with many religious people, atleast generally speaking when they argue a point they can often refer to the bible to backup their viewpoint. You can't even do that it seems.
    :rolleyes:

So you've joined a discussion forum but you clearly have zero interest in a discussion,

I'll give you a tip, if you are going to argue a point it helps to actually backup your mind by some means that can be referenced (even if it is the bible), otherwise you look extremely foolish.

While I don't agree with many religious people, atleast generally speaking when they argue a point they can often refer to the bible to backup their viewpoint. You can't even do that it seems.
    :rolleyes:

Willful blindness is contagious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You don't get to choose what I say.

The irony!

Isn't that exactly what you're trying to make happen with this thread???

• Advertisement
Advertisement