Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work/ sports visa

Options
  • 24-02-2016 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to a guy about becoming a coach, as I seen they are looking for coaches. When I said to him I would need a visa to stay he was no longer in interested.

Does this happen a lot where people become uninterested when they find you need a work visa etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

They would have to do the work to get the visa for you, can be expensive and time consuming for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

cena wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy about becoming a coach, as I seen they are looking for coaches. When I said to him I would need a visa to stay he was no longer in interested.

Does this happen a lot where people become uninterested when they find you need a work visa etc.

Visas that are sponsored by the employer are called H1B visas.
    The potential employer has to apply thorough a immigration lawyer for the visa and its expensive, $10,000 I read on another thread.

Plus there is a cap on the number of visas available which is outstripped by demand, so there is a lottery.

So with all that in mind many employers are not willing to go through all that to hire someone from overseas, and even more likely is the fact that most companies would have no idea about the whole process in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Visas that are sponsored by the employer are called H1B visas.
    The potential employer has to apply thorough a immigration lawyer for the visa and its expensive, $10,000 I read on another thread.

Plus there is a cap on the number of visas available which is outstripped by demand, so there is a lottery.

So with all that in mind many employers are not willing to go through all that to hire someone from overseas, and even more likely is the fact that most companies would have no idea about the whole process in the first place.

Have entered the lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The average American knows shag all about what foreign workers need to do/have to work in the US. So the average employer knows shag all about what foreign workers need to do/have to work in the US, unless they are in a specific sector/industry/company that employs a lot of foreign workers.

Job applications tend to state that the applicant must be able to legally work in the US. So if you rock up to the interview without a visa/green card & you expect your prospective employer to do all the hard work to get you a one, you'll generally be shown the door right sharpish.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The average American knows shag all about what foreign workers need to do/have to work in the US. So the average employer knows shag all about what foreign workers need to do/have to work in the US, unless they are in a specific sector/industry/company that employs a lot of foreign workers.

Job applications tend to state that the applicant must be able to legally work in the US. So if you rock up to the interview without a visa/green card & you expect your prospective employer to do all the hard work to get you a one, you'll generally be shown the door right sharpish.

They knew I was living in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Totally agree, Americans don't have this faintest clue about Visa's and what you need to work here.
    People at my work thought I applied for a Visa and moved here with my family...lol.. Until I explained it to them that its pretty much impossible to move here and the only real option for average people is the Green Card Lottery. Unless that is you highly Educated and can get sponsored, Marry an American or work for a Multi National your out of luck I'm afraid.
    To which then they replied "Why do we have so many illegals and why is it decent hard working people can't come and work here".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Have entered the lottery

That's probably the Green Card (DV) lottery you have entered.

I'm talking about the H1B lottery that companies must enter if they wish to employ someone from overseas.
    There are more H1B applications than visas available, thus a lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Hell even when you even have an active H1B visa and asking a potential company just to transfer it, can result in them losing all interest in you because basically they know they have to go through the hassle of sponsoring you for a Green Card at some point.

Hazys wrote: »
    Hell even when you even have an active H1B visa and asking a potential company just to transfer it, can result in them losing all interest in you because basically they know they have to go through the hassle of sponsoring you for a Green Card at some point.

I would be looking at a 6 month to a year stay and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would be looking at a 6 month to a year stay and see how it goes

See, most employers who will be willing to go through the time and trouble (and money.... $6000+ ) will want you to stay long term, it is not worth it for them to go through all that if you are only planning to stay such a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I thought there's some sort of exemption for sports coaches though? I may be completely wrong but am pretty sure I read that somewhere.

silja wrote: »
    See, most employers who will be willing to go through the time and trouble (and money.... $6000+ ) will want you to stay long term, it is not worth it for them to go through all that if you are only planning to stay such a short time.
    Would a j1 or something like that be worth looking into. I would stay longer if I had too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You only qualify for a J1 visa if:

- You are currently enrolled in full time, third level education. You can only stay in the US for 90 days.

- You graduated from college within the past 12 months. You can only work in the field of your qualification. You can only stay in the US for a year.

Do you not remember this, from all the other threads you started asking the very same thing?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You only qualify for a J1 visa if:

- You are currently enrolled in full time, third level education. You can only stay in the US for 90 days.

- You graduated from college within the past 12 months. You can only work in the field of your qualification. You can only stay in the US for a year.

Do you not remember this, from all the other threads you started asking the very same thing?

Yes I do remember. But I can ask no one says I can't ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

athtrasna wrote: »
    I thought there's some sort of exemption for sports coaches though? I may be completely wrong but am pretty sure I read that somewhere.
    O visas, more specificially O2
    individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance. "For an O-1A, the O-2's assistance must be an 'integral part' of the O-1A's activity. For an O-1B, the O-2's assistance must be 'essential' to the completion of the O-1B's production. The O-2 worker has critical skills and experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_visa

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement (scroll down)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

tricky D wrote: »

He would have to be the coach of a world class athlete who has an O-1 visa and need to accompany them to qualify for an O-2. Its not for a person just looking to work as a coach in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Glad I didn't imagine it ;)

I wish you luck in the green card lottery, cena, other than that you could try American dating sites! I don't think there is a visa you can get from my research of them some years ago. I know how much you want to live in the US.

I wish you luck in the green card lottery, cena, other than that you could try American dating sites! I don't think there is a visa you can get from my research of them some years ago. I know how much you want to live in the US.

I do want to live their. But I like to learn more coaching get experience etc. Can't do it here. No ice rink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I do want to live their. But I like to learn more coaching get experience etc. Can't do it here. No ice rink

Is Canada an option? Hockey is huge there. I don't know how their visa system works but a self sponsored working visa like the Australian working holiday visa might be possible. I know a lot of irish people go there temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Can't do it here. No ice rink

What about Canada? The home of hockey. Its a national obsession up there.

And the visas are easier to get.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What about Canada? The home of hockey. Its a national obsession up there.

And the visas are easier to get.

I have family in states if anything was to happen to me. my main reason why I haven't pick Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Yes I do remember. But I can ask no one says I can't ask

Hoping the same question will give a different answer this time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

This OP has asked this multiple times if im not mistaken, with all the same answers every time. Think you need a reality check to as how hard and slim a chance you have to go to america, in your current situation, going by the info you have given us. Its very difficult.

I suggest you try american dating sites...heres hoping you are a good looking chap :pac:

Why are you so fixated on america by the way?

Why are you so fixated on america by the way?

Why not?? I have my reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Why not?? I have my reasons.[/quote

I was really excited about moving to the States and had always wanted to live here. After the novelty wears off its just like living anywhere else. You work, pay bills,and sometimes it only really dawns on me I am actually live here. Don't get me wrong I love it here but it's very different and the good old American Dream is a lot harder to accomplish. 15-20 years ago I would say yeah it would have been a dream, but not so much now for people coming here. I suppose it really depends on what feild you are in. If you are highly qualified then yeah you can have a great lifestyle but if your just the normal educated worker you are just a number.

Advertisement