Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out after backup.

Options
  • 24-02-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

My laptop is an Lenovo Thinkpad that I inherited when my old company went under a few years ago. It used to be networked but just gets used for browsing and stuff at home. Every now and then Lenovo's own rescue and recovery software kicks in and tries to do a backup, I generally don't allow it so stop the process. For some reason I let the process complete last night. Now I find I can't log on because the machine no longer accepts my password, has it simply forgotten, corrupted the file or did it default to the password that was in there when it was last backed up. What do I do now? There are files and family photos etc that I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You can reset the password with ntpasswd
    You can probably boot from a live Linux CD image (or from USB) to copy the files to another device
    Or you could remove the disk and put it in a caddy/on a cable to access the files

If option 1 fails. I'd be doing no.s 2 or 3 and doing a re-install.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭armstrongracer

Cheers for that Bonzo, all sorted. You reminded me that I already had a disc of NT Password in a drawer. Looks like it defaulted to an earlier time, when I re-booted taskbar icons that I had set have gone. Strangely, although I cleared all passwords, the laptop would only let me log in as Administrator the first boot after reset.

Advertisement