Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Blu Ray on PC

Options
  • 24-02-2016 7:08pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Quick question, my Dad has a PC that my sister uses a lot for watching movies. She got Star Wars on Blu Ray and wants to watch this on the PC, however the PC only has a CD/DVD tray, and it doesn't read the Blu Ray disc.

Is it a case that it just needs some extra software to play Blu Rays (and if so, can anyone tell me which one he should use) or is it a completely different piece of equipment that's needed?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You'd need a physical blu ray drive. You can buy internal or external drives. It'd be a waste though for just one movie, or if you didn't have a proper full hd monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

You may even pick up a cheap external one second hand in the likes of CEX cheap enough of you need one in a hurry...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll let him know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Blu-Ray players are cheap these days, PS3 will also play Blu-Ray if you have one lying around, or else an actual internal Blu-Ray drive for PC would be reasonable enough at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you will need software as well to play the Blu-Ray so make sure it comes with it otherwise you will have to buy something like PowerDVD or Leawo Blu-ray Player

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Skerries wrote: »
    you will need software as well to play the Blu-Ray so make sure it comes with it otherwise you will have to buy something like PowerDVD or Leawo Blu-ray Player

VLC doesn't do blue ray playback?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

VLC doesn't do blue ray playback?

Nope. Well, not legally anyway. You need a decryption licence.

Advertisement