Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Struggling to choose LC subjects!!

• 24-02-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm in TY right now and we have to choose our LC subjects next month.
    I want to go to St. Angela's College in Co. Sligo to study Home Economics and Economics (Second level teaching).

For this I will need about 450 points.
    The subject requirements are English, Irish, Maths, A third language, Home Economics OR a laboratory science and then another subject.

So, without a doubt, I will be taking German, Home Ec and Economics. I might take up Japanese too and study it outside of school (I want to work in Japan after college). Which leaves one more subject.
    I want to choose between Biology and Geography.

-I think Biology might give me a better chance when it comes to the college selecting the students. But I don't particularly like it. I got a B in HL Science for my Junior Cert.
    -I really like Geography and I think it will be great for the points. My DATs test also suggests i will be good at subjects like this. I got a B in HL for my Junior Cert.

I just need some advice and a push in the right direction please. Thank you <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lolo97

I do Geography and what I would say to you is don't depend on your JC knowledge for LC Geog.
    Each essay you do in geog needs about 15 SRPs which are significant relevant points so any good piece of information to back up your point made will suffice. Saturation of information and facts in needed so if you're good at learning off facts and information for a wide range of topics, this subject will suits you. JC knowledge will only bring you so far, you need to work from the start because if you leave it too late, you will stress out with the amount of information needed.
    Also bear in mind that you have to complete a field study investigation worth 20% of the overall grade. This year my class and I went to a river and spent the day completing activities revolving around the river.

Have a look at past exam questions and see for yourself.
    I enjoy Geography and I hope to do well in it. Majority of the information is straightforward just need to absorb it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Choose subjects you like. You will regret it if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

spurious wrote: »

This.
    I picked Biology because "it will be easier to get an A1 in" but regretting that now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

spurious wrote: »

This is great advice. If you don't like Biology, it's not going to be easy to study it for two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 shluachra

-I think Biology might give me a better chance when it comes to the college selecting the students.

The CAO computer will select the students for that course based on points ranking and satisfying the entry requirements so don't worry that not doing Biology will put you at a disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Pick what subjects you like and what you know youre good at, it really is the best advice. I got all As in the subjects i chose for myself and no As in the compulsory subjects... just wish we were allowed choose more of our own.

Advertisement