Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Rehoming my Dog

Options
  • 24-02-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I own an 8 month old female collie/ husky. Bella is an outdoor dog and much loved by my family. Unfortunately, for reasons beyond my control I must rehome her.

Like all border collies and huskies Bella needs regular exercise but due to other commitments no one in my family can provide that anymore. We are each frequently busy so poor Bella is getting extremely lonely. It is breaking my heart to talk about rehoming her but I would be selfish by keeping her under such conditions.

I have contacted two shelters and received the lecture about responsible dog ownership which is understandable but no one could have foreseen our change in circumstances. I am aware that shelters are bursting with dogs but I'm afraid Bella is going to get depressed.

I am based in County Galway and if anyone has advice on how I could rehome her it would be much appreciated. I need help urgently... And if anyone is interested or knows anyone who may be interested in being my dogs new owner I would be delighted to speak with you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I have contacted two shelters and received the lecture about responsible dog ownership which is understandable but no one could have foreseen our change in circumstances. I am aware that shelters are bursting with dogs but I'm afraid Bella is going to get depressed.

How can a change in circumstance lead to people having less time? Was someone unemployed when you got the dog and never foreseen getting a job? I cannot think outside of maybe a spaniel that there could be a more high energy cross to have. Whoever you bought it off and didn't tell you this is very irresponsible. This is one of the reasons the shelters are full, no forethought. What is an outside dog? There is a husky rescue on Facebook which help with such matters if a rescue won't go near you. They too are over ran but may be able to help. Do not put her on done deal or the likes unless you charge money and do a home check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Could you look into doggy day care, a dog walker, getting up an hour earlier to spend exercising the dog?

What you got from the rescues you contacted was not a lecture, it was the cold truth, the animal crisis in Ireland is getting worse, the number of surrendered and abandoned dogs is at an all time high, every month you think it can't get any worse, but it does, the rescues you contacted had probably already had that same conversation 10 times that day.

I would strongly suggest trying to figure out a way to keep your dog, or privately rehoming through word of mouth, your local vets etc and please please do a homecheck!!

Advertisement