Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

empacher wrote: »
    Connor could stand to make twice the entire rest of the cards pay.

If he was to make the 14mil.

How in gods name do you know what Conor is going to make from this or what the rest of the card is? Have you seen the contracts and saw into the future to how many PPV buys it's going to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

In a surprising turn of events, both RDA and Cerrone on UFC Tonight have picked McGregor to beat Alvarez!

Never thought i'd live to see this day when THOSE two picked Conor to win any fight :pac:

Cerrone in his media scrum was asked who he'd put his money on and said Eddie followed by 'hopefully I can then go fight his (Eddie) ass'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

TheTownie wrote: »
    Cerrone in his media scrum was asked who he'd put his money on and said Eddie followed by 'hopefully I can then go fight his (Eddie) ass'

Yeah, saw that. He "flipped" his pick half-jokingly on UFC Tonight because when he picks against Conor he seems to win, so he's trying the reverse-psychology.

RDA on the other hand seemed to genuinely pick Conor to beat Eddie, but again who knows.

Tony Ferguson probably had the best reply - "Don't care, they can knock each other out at the same time for all i care".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Yeah, saw that. He "flipped" his pick half-jokingly on UFC Tonight because when he picks against Conor he seems to win, so he's trying the reverse-psychology.

RDA on the other hand seemed to genuinely pick Conor to beat Eddie, but again who knows.

Tony Ferguson probably had the best reply - "Don't care, they can knock each other out at the same time for all i care".

Interesting that Tony said he was going to 170 and 145. He'd be a serious force at 145 imo. Expecting him to lose this weekend but one of my fave fighters to watch in the UFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Mellor wrote: »
    Cowboy was pretty complimentary of Conor when conor was firmly a featherweight. He's basically said just the 189 world tour, that if Conor beats Aldo, "y'all gotta shut the fuck up"

he seemed to like conor untill it became apparent he was moving up and the fight was potentially there for cerrone...strange that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Interesting that Tony said he was going to 170 and 145. He'd be a serious force at 145 imo. Expecting him to lose this weekend but one of my fave fighters to watch in the UFC.

He'd be an absolute monster at 45 of he could make it.

I fancy him to beat RDA relatively handily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭MichaelScarn

TimRiggins wrote: »

Ferguson looked poor in his last fight.

Eddie Bravo is his jiu jisu coach.

UFC should encourage more jiu jitsu instead of quick stand ups.

Ferguson looked poor in his last fight.

Eddie Bravo is his jiu jisu coach.

UFC should encourage more jiu jitsu instead of quick stand ups.

RDA seems very confident if it goes to the ground, basically dismissed Fergusons rubber guard as "tricky" but said he has answers ready for it.

Ferguson looks poor in a lot of fights. He gets hit A LOT. His style is great to watch but i could see clinical strikers putting his lights out. Lando had him in deep trouble.

9pm for the McGregor-Alvarez conference call. Should be fun. I'm gonna guess Conor will be pretty relaxed and chilled in the "Zen" mode he was in before 194.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Smart on both their parts. Nobody gets excited with 2 pals fighting. As much as i respect the DC - Rumble respect for each other, it doesn't translate into PPV's. There's footage of Cowboy having a bit of craic with Conor on youtube.

Beneath all the talk, i highly doubt Conor has a real problem with any of them. I could easily picture Nate, Chad, Cowboy and Conor in a night-club getting hammered and getting on great.

Cowboy is in a pretty good position to stake a claim for the McGregor fight next; especially if he demolishes Gastelum with another Street Fighter combo and gets on the Mic cutting a huge promo calling out with winner of Conor v Eddie later in the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A foreign fighter wanted to train at SBG and PM'd John and on the assumption that Irish people speak Irish first, slapped his whole message into google translator.

John, being like most of us forgotten half our Gaeilge, had to then use Google translator to get the thing back to English :pac:

haha thats gas. Reminds of the time I knew of a Chinese law student who learnt Irish before even arriving in Ireland, he had thought we all speak it daily. When he was here he realised his error but kept learning it anyway and became a fluent Irish speaker in no time. Then when he graduated from college the big law firms got into a bidding war to employ him as they all wanted to have the Chinese guy who was fluent in Irish in their firm !

Anyone know if JK has written an article for the 42 this week? iirc he usually writes a piece in the lead up to a fight talking about the camp and opponent

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyone know if JK has written an article for the 42 this week? iirc he usually writes a piece in the lead up to a fight talking about the camp and opponent

They've been dropping 1 minute youtube clips of him discussing various things but i'd assume he'll have his usual article out in the next day or 2. It's usually a week before the fight. Hopefully anyway! Ariel said he's in studio on Monday for The MMA Hour so that'll be a good watch!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    haha thats gas. Reminds of the time I knew of a Chinese law student who learnt Irish before even arriving in Ireland, he had thought we all speak it daily. When he was here he realised his error but kept learning it anyway and became a fluent Irish speaker in no time. Then when he graduated from college the big law firms got into a bidding war to employ him as they all wanted to have the Chinese guy who was fluent in Irish in their firm !

slightly off topic but it reminded me of this:

good little watch!

jist watched Alvarez two fights against chandler..,think many people on here are underestimating Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://twitter.com/mma_gifs_/status/793946397410263040

**** this idea! He better stick to Biggie and Sinead we know what happened when he used the el chapo ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Gamebred wrote: »

The best thing about that awful video, is the oestrogen filled Justin Bieber crowd the audio was stolen from :D

Brilliant quote from Firas Zahabi in his latest 205 breakdown:

"Conor knows his left hand is the money maker. He knows it's his ticket. He knows it's the Death Touch. If he catches Eddie on the chin it's a done deal. If Eddie shoots, look for Conor to counter with the left. If Eddie throws a jab, look for Conor to counter with the left. If Eddie even blinks, look for Conor to counter with the left"

i could never understand people crying when man Utd win the league, or liverpool win the champions league or any of that, i used to laugh.

Especially when he beat mendes, I cried like fook!! now there's some pavlovian
    reaction where' I well up when I hear that entrance music!!! ****ing class, dont mess with a winning formulae :)

The Mac Life rap in this video sounds studio-produced by someone who can actually rap. Interesting. Wonder if that's why he was off hanging out with Jimmy Iovine of Interscope Records fame.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Mac Life rap in this video sounds studio-produced by someone who can actually rap. Interesting. Wonder if that's why he was off hanging out with Jimmy Iovine of Interscope Records fame.

I haven't recognised any of the music in the videos, it all sounds like original stuff.....it's starting to get me thinking that he might be venturing into music somehow

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I haven't recognised any of the music in the videos, it all sounds like original stuff.....it's starting to get me thinking that he might be venturing into music somehow

Lyrics of "The Mac Life" rap (3:27 in above video):

"This is the Mac Life,
    This is the other side,
    This is what cash looks like,
    When you're young in your prime,
    The blood and the pride,
    The face of the fight game,
    The notorious they say my name,
    I am a hype train,
    Already legendary,
    Right hand hospital,
    Left hand cemetery
    Bury everybody, any division,
    perfect timing and precision".

That's all i caught from it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Smaller DJ's generally, you can check out their soundclouds under the videos. Some have produced stuff specifically for the Mac Life but this is nothing new, things like intros and outros, but they've been there from the start.

The rap song at the end about McGregor was something new. I hope he doesn't pursue it any further because it was sh*te. That's coming from someone who enjoys hip hop/rap.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not saying that we'll hear McGregor bustin a rhyme or anything :P

I'm not saying that we'll hear McGregor bustin a rhyme or anything :P

next thing he just walks out, microphone in hand and just raps himself down to the ring not a bother on him!

Lukker- wrote: »
    Smaller DJ's generally, you can check out their soundclouds under the videos. Some have produced stuff specifically for the Mac Life but this is nothing new, things like intros and outros, but they've been there from the start.

The rap song at the end about McGregor was something new. I hope he doesn't pursue it any further because it was sh*te. That's coming from someone who enjoys hip hop/rap.

Jaysus tough crowd.

As a song, yeah it's not gonna win any awards lol but for a VLOG it's actually really good and adds to the production.

And if the Youtube comments section are anything to go by then it went down really well.

At least he's trying something!

McGregor & Alvarez conference call live now above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jaysus tough crowd.

As a song, yeah it's not gonna win any awards lol but for a VLOG it's actually really good and adds to the production.

And if the Youtube comments section are anything to go by then it went down really well.

At least he's trying something!

I actually like most of the other music on the vlogs, I find it suits it really well. Production aside I just found it incredibly tacky for my taste but sure those fans who run fanpages, comment "13 seconds" under Aldo's posts on Instagram et al will probably gobble it up

McGregor saying anything interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

MAKE UFC GREAT AGAIN.

• Advertisement

I personally think Eddie is taking Conor for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Appreciate any paraphrasing... can't listen to it right now!

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting

Live quotes there for ya.

.ak wrote: »
    Appreciate any paraphrasing... can't listen to it right now!

Not much being said, the Irish sun reporter causing phone interference has been the wildest contribution so far.

Eddie commenting that Conor struggled to beat Nate, a 155'er that has been beaten by all top 155 guys.

Conor refusing to say anymore about his announcement and repeating his will re-arrange eddies face. Very little interaction between the two of them so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Conor: I'm going to toy w/ this man. I'm going to really, truly rearrange his facial structure. His wife and kids won't recognize him again.

:pac:

Eddie offering Conor ellecution lessons...

Conor letting shots at Eddie for leaving blackzillians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So, as we were talking about walkout music, MacLife rapping, etc

CttvfKsVIAApeB-.jpg

Don't care what anybody says - when you bring someones kids into it, it's going to make them want to tear your head off and fight emotionally.

I'm not getting into the amateur psychology i just know it's such a universal trigger.

Conor knows what he's doing. It's not very subtle but even the brief mentions of his kids and saying he's gonna re-arrange his face so his kids say "daddy please don't fight anymore"........right there that's gonna stick with Eddie for the next week. He's gonna wanna kill him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mcgregor is defo in his head. Im sure this is only the start of a week of mind games

The Irish Mirror can't be too happy at what just unfolded haha. "you're crazy to believe anything that comes out of that click-bait ....the Irish Mirror don't know fcuk all about me or my life".

That's them told :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Heeeeeeere come the psychologists.

ricero wrote: »
    Mcgregor is defo in his head. Im sure this is only the start of a week of mind games

100%. Eddie is trying to laugh it off but i've got the feeling he's fuming and is going to do an Aldo and come tearing after him from the bell.

Truth is this - Conor thrives on the big stage under the spotlight, the bright lights and big pressure. Eddie is untested under it.

It's one thing beating top level opponents on a Fight Night card or in the back waters of Japan and another doing it on the biggest stage possible.

I really can't see past Conor finishing him inside 2.

it's a looooong 9 days until fight night :)

Eddie offering Conor ellecution lessons...

Eddie's contribution to that conference call summed up:

v6t9a8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I don't expect Conor to 'get into his head' personally, whatever way you define it. Eddie has spoken numerous times about having a clear game plan (hint hint avoid conor's left, clinch, takedown), and he's got a great camp. I don't think he'll do anything out of the ordinary in response to the thrash talk.

I think Conor is done for. Eddie seemed relaxed and having fun.

Conor is going to be out to sleep no matter what his vo2 levels are.

Edit: my post was in jest/sarcasm at armchair psychologists in case people taught I was being serious

I think Conor is done for. Eddie seemed relaxed and having fun.

Conor is going to be out to sleep no matter what his vo2 levels are

serious call curry flavoured!

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

kinda funny i didnt know about the call. then i was walking thru apartment and heard raised voice coming from his bedroom and thought 'someone's in trouble' ha.
    anyway all going great here lads - everything on track!

• Company Representative Posts: 64 Verified rep JohnSBG

kinda funny i didnt know about the call. then i was walking thru apartment and heard raised voice coming from his bedroom and thought 'someone's in trouble' ha.
    anyway all going great here lads - everything on track!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement