Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Conor is going to be out to sleep no matter what his vo2 levels are

i've fell asleep in a nightclub before out celebrating Leaving results but never with 2 world titles over my shoulders. It's possible though.....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

JohnSBG wrote: »
    kinda funny i didnt know about the call. then i was walking thru apartment and heard raised voice coming from his bedroom and thought 'someone's in trouble' ha.
    anyway all going great here lads - everything on track!

Cut the **** John, where's the after party?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

John Double posted.. Hands shaking possibly? An obvious sign that the pressure within the camp is very high at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

John forget about 205, Are you gonna get the chance to roll with the GOAT Marcelo this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"I did in 13 seconds what Frankie couldn't do over 50 minutes" such a great line. Can't believe this is next weekend.

kinda funny i didnt know about the call. then i was walking thru apartment and heard raised voice coming from his bedroom and thought 'someone's in trouble' ha.
    anyway all going great here lads - everything on track!

can you answer the question on everyones mind?

Where's Ido? :pac:

can you answer the question on everyones mind?

Where's Ido? :pac:

Its Sensei Portal! Give him some respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Gamebred wrote: »
    Its Sensei Portal! Give him some respect.

Exactly, Sensei Portal will teach Conor the way of the lizard:

sbyOta1fnJGNi.gif

Eddie can't takedown what's already down. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Don't care what anybody says - when you bring someones kids into it, it's going to make them want to tear your head off and fight emotionally.

I'm not getting into the amateur psychology i just know it's such a universal trigger.

Conor knows what he's doing. It's not very subtle but even the brief mentions of his kids and saying he's gonna re-arrange his face so his kids say "daddy please don't fight anymore"........right there that's gonna stick with Eddie for the next week. He's gonna wanna kill him.

oYn3j7r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

'We'll see Edward, we'll see... You're going to regret that.'

Hahah, Edward, I love it. That's what I call my old man (Eddie) when i want to wind him up.

• Advertisement

Was pleasantly surprised at the lack of sh1te questions from journalists on that Conference Call.

Sean Sheehan blew it though lol. Surely the only thing he shoulda asked was for a little comment on Andrew McGahon signing to the Mac Life and he goes and asks a question every other journo asks about what style he's approaching the fight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I don't think JK comes in here for the exposure, I think he think he does it for the laugh. Which is nice :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Tigger wrote: »
    I don't think JK comes in here for the exposure, I think he think he does it for the laugh. Which is nice :)

Personally I'd love to see what would happen if he posted on sherdog with a verified account...

then i was walking thru apartment and heard raised voice coming from his bedroom and thought 'someone's in trouble' ha.

Visions now of Conor sat in his bedroom in his PJ's playing Call of Duty, pressing pause so he can scream down the phone "i'm going to re-arrange your face" :pac:

People tend to forget John had 1,500 posts on Boards before things got hectic with his career. I'm fairly sure all of the Holy Trinity of Irish MMA posted on here. John, Andy Ryan, Peter Donnelly.

Still sound as anything to check back in with the little people :)

Tinie wrote: »
    Personally I'd love to see what would happen if he posted on sherdog with a verified account...

See I don't think I would. Although I do wanna see what those lads are gonna say if Conor manages to get his two belts
    I don't think they'd be happy if he got the belts and defended both (I can dream)

People tend to forget John had 1,500 posts on Boards before things got hectic with his career. I'm fairly sure all of the Holy Trinity of Irish MMA posted on here. John, Andy Ryan, Peter Donnelly.

Still sound as anything to check back in with the little people :)

I know he posted here BC but things change and it's nice he remembered we are here.

The more i think about this "announcement" the more i think Dana opened his big gob about Dee possibly being pregnant and that's all there was to it (at the time) and now Conor is capitalising on the fuss by actually making a real announcement.

He certainly ruled out taking time off in that conference call, so we can shelve the retirement speech!

See I don't think I would. Although I do wanna see what those lads are gonna say if Conor manages to get his two belts
    I don't think they'd be happy if he got the belts and defended both (I can dream)

Wait till you hear the excuses when he merk's Eddie zzzzzzz

Remember Holloway was too young,no camp mendes,fluke punch v Aldo,Poirier beaten mentally,Nate won at 202 and so on, it becomes amusing reading and hearing the excuses people make for his opponents who he usually stiffs out,I'll guess this time they say ''easiest match up at lw''

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wait till you hear the excuses when he merk's Eddie zzzzzzz

Remember Holloway was too young,no camp mendes,fluke punch v Aldo,Poirier beaten mentally,Nate won at 202 and so on, it becomes amusing reading and hearing the excuses people make for his opponents who he usually stiffs out,I'll guess this time they say ''easiest match up at lw''

You missed "fluked missed left hook" against Poirier. At the time everyone was saying "there is no way he aimed for behind the ear."

What i find most amusing is the retrospective excuses. Before the fights, Aldo is a beast, Mendes is an amazing wrestler, Nate on his day can beat anybody, Poirier is a machine.........

As soon as he wins, then it's "he got lucky" or short camp etc. The short camp one does my head in - a late replacement works both ways and Bisping and Diaz both showed it can be an advantage to the guy coming in, as opposed to the guy training for a different opponent for 6 weeks.

Obviously that works both ways, a lot of us made excuses on his behalf for the Diaz loss. But i think no matter what he achieves he will be under-rated amongst his fellow fighters, in particular, and a lot of that is jealousy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Am I sleep walking or is this thread making sense? the first thing I do after a Conor victory is go on Sherdog, you can taste the salt. I'm confident I'll be tasting it again come the wee hours of Sunday morning.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Am I sleep walking or is this thread making sense? the first thing I do after a Conor victory is go on Sherdog, you can taste the salt. I'm confident I'll be tasting it again come the wee hours of Sunday morning.

It's the "Kavanagh Effect" - when he shows up, we all engage our brains for roughly 60 minutes to try post some coherent, logical stuff.

Then it goes back to 'Dee is having triplets and Conor could KO Floyd inside 4 rounds if he connects cleanly' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

If Conor wins it's gonna be pretty incredible to see the scramble of fighters wanting to be up next. Expect Ferguson/RDA, Cerrone, Diaz, Aldo, Khabib, Thompson/Frankie, all trying to talk themselves into the money fight.........if Conor wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

If Conor wins it's gonna be pretty incredible to see the scramble of fighters wanting to be up next. Expect Ferguson/RDA, Cerrone, Diaz, Aldo, Khabib, Thompson/Frankie, all trying to talk themselves into the money fight.........if Conor wins.

But isn't only a money fight for them if Conor is challenging for a belt rather than defending it? It's the champ that gets PPV points and a higher purse whereas the challenger is still bound to the terms of their original contract.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    But isn't only a money fight for them if Conor is challenging for a belt rather than defending it? It's the champ that gets PPV points and a higher purse whereas the challenger is still bound to the terms of their original contract.

That's what Cerrone said but take a look at Mendes and Diaz's pay when they fought Conor compared to any other of their purses and tell me the money is the same regardless? Diaz got 1 million for fighting Conor. Mendes got 500k.

• Advertisement

That's what Cerrone said but take a look at Mendes and Diaz's pay when they fought Conor compared to any other of their purses and tell me the money is the same regardless? Diaz got 1 million for fighting Conor. Mendes got 500k.

Did Diaz get 1m for 196? The rematch certainly I'd imagine he got paid. And Chad was a short notice replacement saving the card so that's why he got his.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Did Diaz get 1m for 196? The rematch certainly I'd imagine he got paid. And Chad was a short notice replacement saving the card so that's why he got his.

Diaz got 500k for 196 and 1m for 202. Anyone fighting McGregor is getting paid - whether it be disclosed or undisclosed pay. Cerrone knows it too.

it seems most have their minds made up in terms of a win, I'm always nervous but I'm trying to take comfort in the following.

Alvarez comes straight ahead at times not too unlike brimage did, and see how that ended up, what an amazing display of fighting backward aswell as forwards from McGregor.

although only 12 weeks ago, McGregor can certainly roll with the punches and give then back twice as sharp, against a 190 pounder with a chin like iron, who's fecking tall!!! still he put em on his back a few times and weathered a major storm with a 2nd and 3rd wind in his sails. that's not good cardio either, that's a strong will to win! anyone who's given or taken a few punches boxing or anything similar will relate to this.

finally, 5 rounds question answered, like the wrestler question, like the Aldo's kicks question, etc etc etc... but it's the fight game, so I'm always nervous on the night, c'mon Mcgregor...........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Fcuking Eddie telling Conor how to pronounce words.. and then two minutes later he says Conor must have drunk too much "Cawfee". Muppet :P

rusty cole wrote: »
    it seems most have their minds made up in terms of a win, I'm always nervous but I'm trying to take comfort in the following.

Alvarez comes straight ahead at times not too unlike brimage did, and see how that ended up, what an amazing display of fighting backward aswell as forwards from McGregor.

although only 12 weeks ago, McGregor can certainly roll with the punches and give then back twice as sharp, against a 190 pounder with a chin like iron, who's fecking tall!!! still he put em on his back a few times and weathered a major storm with a 2nd and 3rd wind in his sails. that's not good cardio either, that's a strong will to win! anyone who's given or taken a few punches boxing or anything similar will relate to this.

finally, 5 rounds question answered, like the wrestler question, like the Aldo's kicks question, etc etc etc... but it's the fight game, so I'm always nervous on the night, c'mon Mcgregor...........:D

In the past when I've doubted McGregor he has won. When I thought he would win, he lost......This time...........................I think he'll win. haha

• Advertisement

I have to laugh, when eddie says, this match is really easy money.
    Conor should just say, YES eddie, turn up, stand up and go to sleep, like aldo.
    you don't even have to fight, so yes, it is easy money!!!! is that not obvious.

Diaz got 500k for 196 and 1m for 202. Anyone fighting McGregor is getting paid - whether it be disclosed or undisclosed pay. Cerrone knows it too.

We'll see. Conor hasn't fought anyone since 189 that wasn't a champion or a card saving late replacement. (202 aside but that has its own caveat of why his opponent made an ton of money) It'll be interesting to see what happens if a scheduled fight actually goes down. I highly doubt that under this new cost saving regime that they'd be big fans of giving lads an extra 300-400k just because it's a McGregor fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Brimage was a certifiable midget though. I can see eddie knocking conor out and vice versa so I'm going for Simultaneous KO in the second.

I'm just not as convinced of his power as he is. he trapped cerrone in a neck lock and must have hit him ten hard uppercuts, cerrone shook them off. admittedly I haven't seen all his fights but he's around a while as well so we'll have to see.

Not just cos he's irish but just for all the daily mail haters/sherdog wingers etc, I'd love to see him win but also make it look easy. I'd love to see him look as comfortable and push eddie back, as he does most fighters. In fairness, eddie was on the back foot plenty with RDA, I thought RDA had em clocked and on the back foot until he got caught and even then eddie threw his life savings at him until the ref stepped in and he was still left standing.

What I'd be very interested to see now if this ferguson v RDA fight, should be savage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What I'd be very interested to see now if this ferguson v RDA fight, should be savage too.

Ferguson hits hard and has a very effective darse choke. I still think RDA wins it, but it's by no means a sure thing in my book. Thats going to be a very interesting fight.

With regards to Conor v Eddie, people talk about Eddie's chin being the same as Nates but its not. Nate rolls with punches. Eddie eats them flush. Conor is going to knock him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Kirby wrote: »
    Ferguson hits hard and has a very effective darse choke. I still think RDA wins it, but it's by no means a sure thing in my book. Thats going to be a very interesting fight.

With regards to Conor v Eddie, people talk about Eddie's chin being the same as Nates but its not. Nate rolls with punches. Eddie eats them flush. Conor is going to knock him out.

Eddies head movement is a lot better than Nates . He is also in a different league to Nate when it comes to getting a fight to the floor .

I think im the only one who thinks this is going to be a great fight . Eddie looks in great shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Did I hear correctly on the conference call that eddie is half Irish? Headphones I was using were muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Did I hear correctly on the conference call that eddie is half Irish? Headphones I was using were muck

Ya someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

Just watched the Alvarez / Helwani Philadelphia doco...At the start it seems Eddie has dressed for the part of a Ukrainian rent boy. What's the craic with that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

maclife finally improving!

• Advertisement

Just watched the Alvarez / Helwani Philadelphia doco...At the start it seems Eddie has dressed for the part of a Ukrainian rent boy. What's the craic with that?!

red t shirt and hat? WTF!!! what's rent boy like about that?

did you expect a suit?

Just a tiny correction here - Nate got $2 million disclosed for 202 (not 1m). It was Conor $3m and Nate $2m (so even better!). Both got PPV points.

Being a champion isn't necessary for PPV points - it only guarantees it under the Champions contract. Managers are free to negotiate PPV points with the UFC for non-title fights and Chad Mendes, CM Punk and Nate Diaz are examples of fighters who successfully got PPV points without belts. That's why Conor says he makes people millionaires - it's borderline impossible to sign to fight Conor and not get paid over $2 million total including PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

red t shirt and hat? WTF!!! what's rent boy like about that?

did you expect a suit?
    Acid wash shorts and muscle shirts are a very strong look... As a later edit. Eddie is genuinely a likeable chap, he only gets weird when asked if his life changes if he beats Conor. But aside from his likeability, yeah initial point stands. Unless of course muscle Tops and acid wash are standRd fare for everyone else and I missed the memo.

Just a tiny correction here - Nate got $2 million disclosed for 202 (not 1m). It was Conor $3m and Nate $2m (so even better!). Both got PPV points.

Being a champion isn't necessary for PPV points - it only guarantees it under the Champions contract. Managers are free to negotiate PPV points with the UFC for non-title fights and Chad Mendes, CM Punk and Nate Diaz are examples of fighters who successfully got PPV points without belts. That's why Conor says he makes people millionaires - it's borderline impossible to sign to fight Conor and not get paid over $2 million total including PPV.

Cheers for the correction (more than a tiny correction by the way!).

Yeah I think Cerrone saying what he said confused a lot of people. Maybe Cerrone needs a better manager coz if he ends up fighting McGregor he sure as hell should not be on his usual flat fee.

That Mac Life episode brought a small tear to the eye! Talking about Dillon being a best friend they just hadn't met and how proud they are of Conor. Also noticing my man Richy Condon is video-bombing all the latest episodes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Acid wash shorts and muscle shirts are a very strong look... As a later edit. Eddie is genuinely a likeable chap, he only gets weird when asked if his life changes if he beats Conor. But aside from his likeability, yeah initial point stands. Unless of course muscle Tops and acid wash are standRd fare for everyone else and I missed the memo.

You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a muscle top

hqdefault.jpg

I don't agree with you on this particular one BUT for the Hat. I wouldn't say a rentboy but I do agree he looks like something from that jersey shore show. in saying that, frankie edgar is the same and lets not mention team alpha male.
    it seems to be their culture, sure it was a slagging point between conor and faber too in TUF, albeit friendly banter and actually funny to watch.

"you look like a retired 50yr old skateboarder!!!, YEAHHHHH"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

There might be some truth to Conor going into the music business:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That Mac Life episode brought a small tear to the eye! Talking about Dillon being a best friend they just hadn't met and how proud they are of Conor. Also noticing my man Richy Condon is video-bombing all the latest episodes :pac:
    Attention seeking Cork ****er :D

Haven't managed to catch the last few episodes. Must watch them when I'm home later and give him sufficient abuse then.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    There might be some truth to Conor going into the music business:

Jesus christ p4p worst video ive ever seen I couldnt stomach more than 30 seconds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement