Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 2). **Read warning in 1st post**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I don't know why everything Conor does, John automatically gets tagged with. I'd be surprised if John has anything to do with this.

It's so weird. I've seen a lot of people on Twitter criticising John for the 24option sponsorship of The Mac Life. Even people asking him does he endorse gambling!

It's as if people can't compute that John is a 39 year old man and Conor is a whole other 28 year old man and they might, just might, have their own independent views, opinions and thinking!

All that being said, as his Coach i doubt he would want any negativity to disrupt fight week. I'm not saying Conor will be glued to his phone reading all the criticism but he is still human lol, i'm sure he checks his phone during the day and it can't be a positive. Even if it affects his focus by 0.05% it's still not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

i doubt he would want any negativity to disrupt fight week.

I agree - Can we have a rainbow / lollipops approach here until the 12th please in case John pops in - No bad vibes - just keep it flowy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Even if it affects his focus by 0.05% it's still not a good thing.

It won't. The man has been eating criticism for breakfast for the past 3 years.

ardinn wrote: »
    I agree - Can we have a rainbow / lollipops approach here until the 12th please in case John pops in - No bad vibes - just keep it flowy!

Ha! What we say in here has zero impact on John and has been mostly praise. It was a brilliant interview with Ariel yesterday and i've been directing the few NY friends i have to his Reebok meet-and-greet on thursday.

I just hope that Conor doesn't continue to push this Mac Life Fast this week - on twitter/facebook/in press conferences. The feedback is almost 100% negativity he doesn't need right now.

Fight, win, get drunk and then he's got all the time in the world before Xmas to promote the FAST thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He is still lurking lads, keep the comments happy... john sees everything....everything

• Advertisement

It won't. The man has been eating criticism for breakfast for the past 3 years.

Yup but never from his own hardcore fans.

Criticism from begrudgers and Diaz/Aldo fans is one thing. Whole other kettle of fish when you see many people with "Notorious" in their twitter handles criticising him as a "sell-out" for pricing them out of this program and 24option endorsing him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nice Mercedes John has in that UFC History show didnt think he had a 'flash' side,expected him to drive a prius or something economical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

fitzparker wrote: »
    He is still lurking lads, keep the comments happy... john sees everything....everything

Hillary and Trump are the presidential candidates, John Kavanagh is posting on boards and Gamebred is picking against McGregor.

The end really is coming isn't it? :D

Depp wrote: »
    Hillary and Trump are the presidential candidates, John Kavanagh is posting on boards and Gamebred is picking against McGregor.

The end really is coming isn't it? :D

That was clearly Russian hackers at work.

Hillary wins in a landslide so the world is somewhat safe but i do expect riot police involved in many states in the next 36 hours. It's going to get ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

That was clearly Russian hackers at work.

Hillary wins in a landslide so the world is somewhat safe but i do expect riot police involved in many states in the next 36 hours. It's going to get ugly.

Be grand. The Irish are invading NYC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I am curious as to how everyone thinks the fight will go, have the bookies got it right or is there any conceivable way that conor could lose this event?

I am writing this because I have just read Kavanagh's interview about the fight and how he thinks it will go. Dead certain of a round 2 win for conor. Is there a hint of ufc 196 about all of this in terms of over confidence, or have they got it right beyond any doubt whatsoever? I would say that Alvarez is not as awkward an opponent as Diaz, but he has a much better record than him and has fought very well in his last 2 fights.

In short, would people be surprised if conor is a runner-up on saturday night?

https://twitter.com/CageWarriors/status/796038345616826368

Love this old one, ''Who da fuk is hosay aldo?''

eddie73 wrote: »
    In short, would people be surprised if conor is a runner-up on saturday night?

Nobody should be surprised if Eddie wins.

It's MMA and every single fighter on this amazing card is an elite athlete with elite skills.

That being said, most of us picking Conor feel that his striking and control of distance is too much for Eddie to overcome.

The fact that Conor has never been dropped, let alone KO'd, in his entire career is also a factor here. Based on the evidence of his career so far it is easy to hit Conor but very difficult to hit him cleanly. The only man to put him in trouble was Nate Diaz with a great 1,2 and even that only resulted in jarring his senses. He never did the chicken dance or stumbled around.

Eddie 100% has the power to hurt any man so we will see if Conors chin is as good as we think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CageWarriors/status/796038345616826368

Love this old one, ''Who da fuk is hosay aldo?''

Man i love that video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Nobody should be surprised if Eddie wins.

It's MMA and every single fighter on this amazing card is an elite athlete with elite skills.

That being said, most of us picking Conor feel that his striking and control of distance is too much for Eddie to overcome.

The fact that Conor has never been dropped, let alone KO'd, in his entire career is also a factor here. Based on the evidence of his career so far it is easy to hit Conor but very difficult to hit him cleanly. The only man to put him in trouble was Nate Diaz with a great 1,2 and even that only resulted in jarring his senses. He never did the chicken dance or stumbled around.

Eddie 100% has the power to hurt any man so we will see if Conors chin is as good as we think it is.

He stumbled back as soon as the 1 2 hit him.

ASOT wrote: »
    He stumbled back as soon as the 1 2 hit him.

Yep..... and Diaz threw 2 more strikes (both land), then Conor outside slips and throws a right, followed by a right hook, straight left combo.

I.e. His legs never once buckled. His senses jarred for 2 seconds and he was slipping and throwing again.

My point is that's the only time anybody can think of where he was even remotely hurt in a fight. We've never seen anybody buckle his legs or drop him. I don't see that changing on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭HattrickNZ

anyone know if Ido will be with conor for this one? And will tom egan also be around for this one? used to get some good interviews with tom but that was maybe back as far as ufc 196

My point is that's the only time anybody can think of where he was even remotely hurt in a fight. We've never seen anybody buckle his legs or drop him. I don't see that changing on Saturday.

Until he gets hit we won't know, but based on what we've seen its a fair assumption to make. Chad connected a couple of times but they did not seem to bother conor. But eddie is a bit bigger so will be interesting. exciting, can't wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

will it be showing on BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So it's safe to say he definitely has been seeing all the hate messages for his FAST programme:

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1413558355379126

In fairness, he did more to sell his product in that post than he did over his entire website.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    So it's safe to say he definitely has been seeing all the hate messages for his FAST programme:

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1413558355379126

In fairness, he did more to sell his product in that post than he did over his entire website.

And that's precisely my point.

Even taking 10 minutes out to address criticism of Mac Life FAST shows 2 things:

1. he's seen all the criticism, abuse and negativity and 2. it's time and energy better spent focusing on Teeping Eddie in the gut and using that beautiful Prince Nas corkscrew uppercut that Eddie has struggled to handle his whole career.

Meh i'm sure John and the team have it under control, I still just question the wisdom of releasing it this week as opposed to next week when his schedule is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Even if I did want to do it what gym has a heavy bag? Not all mma gyms even have rowers.

It's not cheap and it's not for everyone but who is it aimed at?

Come on Wonder its the build up to the biggest mma card of all time hes the main event why on gods earth would you not capitalize on the media spotlight this week and release it now?

And its probably not even him putting this stuff out either and even if it was its no excuse for his performance come Saturday night relax yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

How dare he be on Facebook 5 days out.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Even if I did want to do it what gym has a heavy bag? Not all mma gyms even have rowers.

It's not cheap and it's not for everyone but who is it aimed at?

It looks to be aimed at fighters and people who train martial arts, most dont suffer fools and will be in ok shape anyways they wont need him to give them cardio advice especially not for the money involved, I think he picked a poor consumer group to target tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭newbbieb

And that's precisely my point.

Even taking 10 minutes out to address criticism of Mac Life FAST shows 2 things:

1. he's seen all the criticism, abuse and negativity and 2. it's time and energy better spent focusing on Teeping Eddie in the gut and using that beautiful Prince Nas corkscrew uppercut that Eddie has struggled to handle his whole career.

Meh i'm sure John and the team have it under control, I still just question the wisdom of releasing it this week as opposed to next week when his schedule is free.

I think it just might be overkill from Conor and does more harm than good to his brand,but if he goes out there and dominates Eddie and makes history nobody will care about this stuff.

Or in the very unlikely scenario he happened to go out there and dominate a five rounder and totally dismantle Eddie,where his cardio looks amazing then the timing of this could be genius.

Come on Wonder its the build up to the biggest mma card of all time hes the main event why on gods earth would you not capitalize on the media spotlight this week and release it now?

And its probably not even him putting this stuff out either and even if it was its no excuse for his performance come Saturday night relax yourself.

Ridiculous reply.

Will Conors profile be higher or lower if he becomes the first man in UFC history to hold belts in 2 weight classes simultaneously?

Answer: Higher profile.

How on earth you can spin this situation into a positive is beyond me. He's getting bombarded with criticism and abuse from HIS OWN FANS!!!! The hate isn't coming from Diaz and Aldo nut-huggers, it's coming from his own fans.

There's enough to worry about and focus on during fight week without inviting more stress. That's all he did here.

He could have launched the site next week with 2 belts on his shoulders and had all the time in the world to deal with criticism of the website and product.

Ridiculous reply.

Will Conors profile be higher or lower if he becomes the first man in UFC history to hold belts in 2 weight classes simultaneously?

Answer: Higher profile.

How on earth you can spin this situation into a positive is beyond me. He's getting bombarded with criticism and abuse from HIS OWN FANS!!!! The hate isn't coming from Diaz and Aldo nut-huggers, it's coming from his own fans.

There's enough to worry about and focus on during fight week without inviting more stress. That's all he did here.

He could have launched the site next week with 2 belts on his shoulders and had all the time in the world to deal with criticism of the website and product.

Calm yourself down mate hes not on his I Phone reading comments stressed out by abuse from his fans your reading way too much into this.

Calm yourself down mate hes not on his I Phone reading comments stressed out by abuse from his fans your reading way too much into this.

I'm chilled. I want Conor to be too.

You've been arguing for the last 2 pages that he won't even read the criticism or respond to it. Well, there's your answer - a lengthy Facebook reply defending himself and his product in the face of criticism.

Absolutely needless to deal with it this week.

I'll move on.... just saying it's beyond me why he didn't release it next monday as a 2-weight champion.

• Advertisement

You've been arguing for the last 2 pages that he won't even read the criticism or respond to it. Well, there's your answer - a lengthy Facebook reply defending himself and his product in the face of criticism.

I'll move on.... just saying it's beyond me why he didn't release it next monday as a 2-weight champion.

I'm sure hes more qualified in business and is surrounded with smart people who thought of all this and decided today was the best time to release it than me or you posting on boards,

Anyways is there a countdown show or was that history yoke it?

I'm sure hes more qualified in business and is surrounded with smart people who thought of all this and decided today was the best time to release it than me or you posting on boards,

Anyways is there a countdown show or was that history yoke it?

I'm not certain but i think Fighting for History was it. Plus the McGregor-Diaz 2 Flashback episode which was brilliant but was only on FS1 so far. Showed some great footage of each corner and the families in the crowd.

The UFC need to put more of Chris Weidman on these Embeddeds this week, after all the work he did to get it legalized it would be a shame if he's the forgotten man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Do you need to over-state your height to sign up for the programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I still just question the wisdom of releasing it this week as opposed to next week when his schedule is free.

When he will also have less hype around him and could possibly be the loser from the title fight.

Effects wrote: »
    When he will also have less hype around him and could possibly be the loser from the title fight.

He could also lose the fight in the 4th round after gassing out from incredible volume which would destroy his program immediately. I.e. Releasing it this week doesn't remove the impact a potential defeat will have on the success of the initiative.

I admire his entrepenurial spirit, big time, despite being rich he's still trying to grow businesses for the future, creating jobs etc for when his fighting days are up and anything that promotes fitness is a good thing.

My only criticism, which i've rehashed now enough times, is the timing of this announcement feels wrong to me. He doesn't need the abuse online, he doesn't need journalists questioning him about it and, of course, Eddie is gonna take the p1ss out of it at the presser thursday.

• Advertisement

McGregor-Diaz 2 Flashback
    youtube.com/watch?v=7YfXRnJaYsQ
    best I could find...
    Is this a coyt right thing that it is not full screen on youtube?

That kid was shaking with nerves and excitement at the end....hmmm familiar lol....

What did ya make of that episode Gamebred you're the Head Reviewer here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Only Conor can walk around a store topless.

That kid was shaking with nerves and excitement at the end....hmmm familiar lol....

What did ya make of that episode Gamebred you're the Head Reviewer here :)

Ah quite decent bit of shopping and training, Im surprised they picked that hotel he's in instead of a private apartment somewhere because it appears its getting camped on by fans hounding him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That didnt look like defending himself/ his product from criticism to me. It was just a post extolling the virtues of his program.

Anyway, was that the 'big announcement'? Thats a bit of a let down tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Ah quite decent bit of shopping and training, Im surprised they picked that hotel he's in instead of a private apartment somewhere because it appears its getting camped on by fans hounding him now.

yeah, all 1 of them in that video

yeah, all 1 of them in that video

Wrong.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That didnt look like defending himself/ his product from criticism to me. It was just a post extolling the virtues of his program.

TBH the big announcement (if there ever was one) would seem likely to do with Dee's long overcoats, long scarfs, and them refusing to show her from the front on camera without being covered up.

I.e. Pregnant.

Given he hasn't officially announced it, i'll guess he'll choose the post-fight victory speech to get all romantic, maybe propose or whatever.

I've no clue, just guessing. I'd say whatever he's announcing depends on winning. Can't see him breaking any sort of huge news in the event he loses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

J Mysterio wrote:

This whole announcement thing got blown way out of proportion. A little comment from Dana and it was headline news. Thing of nothing.

J Mysterio wrote:

Big announcement after the fight allegedly

This whole announcement thing got blown way out of proportion. A little comment from Dana and it was headline news. Thing of nothing.

Kavnagh and Conor himself have mentioned "Big announcement" a good few times now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Conor is a man I respect and admire more than anybody in the world.

It is with that in mind I hope to God he doesn't propose in the ring after the fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

TBH the big announcement (if there ever was one) would seem likely to do with Dee's long overcoats, long scarfs, and them refusing to show her from the front on camera without being covered up.

I.e. Pregnant.

Sure thats not a big announcement to anyone other than to his and her family etc.

Unless of course you imagine his offspring as some sort of super child.

'One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.'

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sure thats not a big announcement to anyone other than to his and her family etc.

Unless of course you imagine his offspring as some sort of super child.

'One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.'

How dare you.

A Conor McGregor child will come out of the womb ready to challenge Mighty Mouse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement