Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on Eir fibre?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Currently we're with Virgin for the 360MB broadband (I need the fastest I can get for work) but they've been a complete pain in the arse the last 6 months. Overcharging, double billing, outages, taking weeks to accept hardware faults and replace the equipment.

I see that Kilkenny is one of the few places in Ireland that Eir offer fibre in, up to 1GB/s. Does anyone else have it? I've heard bad things about Eircom in the past, with terrible speed well under what's advertised and I want to know if this will be more of the same? Is their customer service any good either?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The 1Gb Eir Extreme is only available in certain estates, some areas can't get even above 12MB. Have you confirmed you can even get it at your address?
    https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1GB is only going to be on some very specific exchanges, even if you are on an enabled exchange the speed can vary depending on how far away you are from the exchange and wiring quality.

Although I'm not in the city I'm lucky, exchange is not very far from my house so I get 85MB out of the 100MB fibre service.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The 1Gb Eir Extreme is only available in certain estates, some areas can't get even above 12MB. Have you confirmed you can even get it at your address?
    https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

Yeah I checked it out last night and it confirms we can get it here, but it's the 'up to' part that worries me. I understand that if I'm further from the cabinet I get slower speeds but I'd like to know what I could reasonably expect. Will I be paying for 1000 and get 30? Is there anyway to check before we commit to a contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I have Eir in my house. I think it was their 500 mbps package at the time? Anyhow at the minute I'm getting 7ms ping, 50mbps download and 20mbps upload. We used to have outages all the time but I kept bugging them and I haven't had a problem in a year. Whether that was down to sea air or them doing line improvements for the then new fibre optic network, I don't know.

Overall pretty happy. Download games within minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Yeah I checked it out last night and it confirms we can get it here, but it's the 'up to' part that worries me. I understand that if I'm further from the cabinet I get slower speeds but I'd like to know what I could reasonably expect. Will I be paying for 1000 and get 30? Is there anyway to check before we commit to a contract?

They likely won't be able to confirm until the engineer comes out to do the install, but you could try calling them and see what they give as an estimate.

Its doubtful you'd get as slow as 30MB to be honest, but you could for example get 500MB,

I'd call them to see can they give a guideline speed for starters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭JoeyDoh

My only advice is to check and double check the speed you'll be able to get in your home when dealing with Eir.

We were promised fibre for 2 years and got it at long last in the summer, our line is capable of a paltry 12mb due to being 1.6km from the exchange on Patrick street. It's capped to 6mb to ensure stability but it's gone to the dogs in recent times. Really and truly a horrible service. We are just on the outskirts of town, Kilsheelin Heights beside the brogue maker on the comer road.

Line is constantly going down and slow, there's 2 exchanges within 200m to us but we can't be connected to them for god knows what reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

cant be having that lad! Ya need stable internet when your raiding on WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

I don't have the extreme fibre but I do get 86.5mbps and 22.25 on a constant basis having been promised maximum of 90 so I am delighted. I have tried every company and have always returned to eir. I am still with them and happy with the service, i know there is negative comments etc on but I am sure that could be the same for all of the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I don't really get this???

Are you all not on the same lines, the same exchange no matter who (whom) you go with???

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

clivej wrote: »

Are you all not on the same lines, the same exchange no matter who (whom) you go with???

Virgin Media don't use the phone lines that other providers do. They have their own cables.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

clivej wrote: »

Whom is correct

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Cabaal wrote: »
    Although I'm not in the city I'm lucky, exchange is not very far from my house so I get 85MB out of the 100MB fibre service.
    Cabaal you're on efibre(FTTC) fibre to the cabinet and then copper to your house...totally different from FTTH- Fibre To The Home.

OP is asking about up to 1Gb's service, not up to 100Mb service...distance is irrelevant as it can go 20kms before it needs a booster...and no deterioration of signal or speed

FTTH is being installed in Kilkenny city at the moment

OP check availability here....https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

Whom is correct
    Virgin use co-ax(same as what goes into your tv), eir, etc. uses either phonelines or fibre

bertie4evr wrote: »
    With FTTH you won't get faster download or upload regardless of distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

We would welcome anything bettr than we have currently 1.6, north of callan, can anyone beat this, we are on vodaphone, help foxy

We would welcome anything bettr than we have currently 1.6, north of callan, can anyone beat this, we are on vodaphone, help foxy
    Foxy take a look at this map...http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    click on the map till you see callan...
    If your on a blue line, the plan is you will get FTTC ( speed up to 100 meg but further away from cab slower it gets) this year at the latest, or not...
    They plan to finish all the FTTC cabinets this year, but may go straight to FTTH (speed up to 1gig, speed does not decrease over distance) from '17 - '20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I wonder would you have any recommendation which crowd you'd go for? Want broadband on 12 months contract, haven't decided yet, I'm living in town.

Advertisement