Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security alert in my neighbourhood and wired vs wireless

Options
  • 24-02-2016 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

some of the houses in the neighbourhood have had burglars break into their houses while at work during the day and weekends when people are not home , they did that by disabling the alarms (phone watch) by cutting the wires from outside the house! and I also hear stories about the ability to forcefully enter houses and then remove the alarm board off the wall within the 30 seconds period allowed before sounding the alarm
    so my question is would a wireless system in these circumstances be safer than wired?
    many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

Interested to know the response
    I thought phone watch were always monitored . No way to know that for phone watch .. Polling ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The problem is that most of the PW systems do not have a live working external bell. So Most there is nothing to ring if the panel is attacked. Most other systems have a working self activating bell (SAB) this will activate if it is disconnected in any way from the panel.
    There are also many better ways to monitor an alarm and it's connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Do most PW systems not use GSM which the burglars can block now?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

AFAIK.
    I don't know what their polling times or respond criteria is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

kamin99 wrote: »
    some of the houses in the neighbourhood have had burglars break into their houses while at work during the day and weekends when people are not home , they did that by disabling the alarms (phone watch) by cutting the wires from outside the house! and I also hear stories about the ability to forcefully enter houses and then remove the alarm board off the wall within the 30 seconds period allowed before sounding the alarm
    so my question is would a wireless system in these circumstances be safer than wired?
    many thanks

It is all about how a system is designed, a box on a wall with an onboard keypad, internal siren and communicator within and no proper external sounder is not a proper security system.
    It is easy to defeat and that is why certain systems are being targeted.

Whether a system is wired or wireless, does not matter really.

An alarm control panel should be fitted in a secure out of reach location within a house. A remote keypad should be fitted close to the main entry door and the system internal siren should be fitted away from the control panel also. An external siren with SAB function should never ever be regarded as an optional extra.

Overall as this is a public forum we do not know who could be reading this thread, therefore we cannot say the reasons why certain things are done a certain way, or should be done a certain way for that matter.

That old saying comes to mind, the bad tradesman chases the potential customer, the customer has to chase the good tradesman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

Many thanks

I actually never knew about self activating bell (SAB) till now, it seems as mentioned earlier they are Dummy instal , so I must enquire about this one from PW. Also I see they have Honeywell system with iPhone App so Is it worth it changing my HKC system to honeywell.

and it seems as I didn't know much about alarms till now! that what I meant to say is they pull away the keypad from the wall within 30 seconds , cut the wires so the alarm dose't go off

or at lease this is my understanding!
    kub wrote: »
    It is all about how a system is designed, a box on a wall with an onboard keypad, internal siren and communicator within and no proper external sounder is not a proper security system.
    It is easy to defeat and that is why certain systems are being targeted.

Whether a system is wired or wireless, does not matter really.

An alarm control panel should be fitted in a secure out of reach location within a house. A remote keypad should be fitted close to the main entry door and the system internal siren should be fitted away from the control panel also. An external siren with SAB function should never ever be regarded as an optional extra.

Overall as this is a public forum we do not know who could be reading this thread, therefore we cannot say the reasons why certain things are done a certain way, or should be done a certain way for that matter.

That old saying comes to mind, the bad tradesman chases the potential customer, the customer has to chase the good tradesman.

Many thanks

I actually never knew about self activating bell (SAB) till now, it seems as mentioned earlier they are Dummy instal , so I must enquire about this one from PW. Also I see they have Honeywell system with iPhone App so Is it worth it changing my HKC system to honeywell.

and it seems as I didn't know much about alarms till now! that what I meant to say is they pull away the keypad from the wall within 30 seconds , cut the wires so the alarm dose't go off

or at lease this is my understanding!

If i was you i would keep what i have as you have a choice of installers to service, repair, maintain etc your system, also if your system is monitored it can be connected and work with any receiving equipment in the twenty something alarm monitoring stations in this country.

If you go down the Honeywell route, that system will only work in 1 monitoring station, from a customer perspective this is not good as that particular monitoring company do not need to be competitive. Also should you have any issues with this particular organisation and you want to use an alternative supplier you will have to get a new alarm system at your expense.

Would you buy a car from a garage that you can only buy that car from? That you would always have to go back to refuel your car and the only one that can fix your car?
    Then you are for whatever reason unhappy, you go to another garage, the lads look at you and they say, sorry can't touch it, you will have to buy a Ford, Fiat, Renault, Bmw etc.

As i said you existing control panel is good, by the way which model is it?

Sorry you mentioned a keypad being pulled away from a wall within the 30 seconds, well if it is a remote keypad, as in it is a seperate unit from the main control panel, then if an RKP is pulled from the wall, the control panel will receive a tamper type message and the alarm will activate fully even if the cable to it is cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

kub wrote: »
    If i was you i would keep what i have as you have a choice of installers to service, repair, maintain etc your system, also if your system is monitored it can be connected and work with any receiving equipment in the twenty something alarm monitoring stations in this country.

If you go down the Honeywell route, that system will only work in 1 monitoring station, from a customer perspective this is not good as that particular monitoring company do not need to be competitive. Also should you have any issues with this particular organisation and you want to use an alternative supplier you will have to get a new alarm system at your expense.

Would you buy a car from a garage that you can only buy that car from? That you would always have to go back to refuel your car and the only one that can fix your car?
    Then you are for whatever reason unhappy, you go to another garage, the lads look at you and they say, sorry can't touch it, you will have to buy a Ford, Fiat, Renault, Bmw etc.

As i said you existing control panel is good, by the way which model is it?

Sorry you mentioned a keypad being pulled away from a wall within the 30 seconds, well if it is a remote keypad, as in it is a seperate unit from the main control panel, then if an RKP is pulled from the wall, the control panel will receive a tamper type message and the alarm will activate fully even if the cable to it is cut.

this is great , i finally understand now , really appreciate your great input

this is great , i finally understand now , really appreciate your great input

You are welcome, if you have any further quires, you know where we are.

Advertisement