Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicians who voted for Fempi. What do you guys think?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭

Over on the fightback facebook page fightback are reminding teachers that many politicians voted to maintain Fempi legislation last November, legislation which as we all know is essentially anti worker and very undemocratic. They go on to post the names of sitting TD's who voted against Fempi.

Now I was going to vote for a certain Independent candidate but now that I realise that this person actually voted to maintain the deterioration of the working conditions of public servants, I have decided to not now for this person and to follow the fightback advice to only vote for those who oppose Fempi.

However it very much narrows my choice and I'm actually quite stunned that so many politicians from opposition parties and independents have voted to retain this regressive legislation. Perhaps they would argue that it was to enable the establishment of Lansdowne, which offers some pay restoration and as such, some relief to struggling workers. But I am sceptical. I would be interested in people's opinions here as I think it should impact how teachers and public servants will vote.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Where can this list be viewed? Is the fightback page private? Google just showing up an old website with no updates.

I would not be happy to vote for candidates supporting FEMPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Where can this list be viewed? Is the fightback page private? Google just showing up an old website with no updates.

I would not be happy to vote for candidates supporting FEMPI.

Sorry,should have attached the link earlier. Here it is, https://www.facebook.com/a.fightback/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I took great pleasure in telling them that i wouldn't be voting for xxx because they voted to cut my pay in 2013 and 2015 FEMPI legislation. Any crap about the greater good etc didn't work when its politician/canvasser vs voter.

TheDriver wrote: »
    I took great pleasure in telling them that i wouldn't be voting for xxx because they voted to cut my pay in 2013 and 2015 FEMPI legislation. Any crap about the greater good etc didn't work when its politician/canvasser vs voter.

Fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I too had FEMPI pay cuts, but the problem is people have short memories and most of my family and friends have not even heard of FEMPI so it's a non-issue for most of the electorate. It was unbelievable to hear Noonan declare the economic emergency over about two weeks ago and then later sow it into FF when they said they would unwind FEMPI. Delighted to see the poll results this morning though, FG and Labour seem to be getting the kicking they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I was actually in agreement with FEMPI from the get-go BUT with the understanding that they would keep their side of the bargain and just get rid of it. Now teachers seem to be coerced into a bargaining situation to get rid of it! It's quite simple, just honour the deal and move on.

It reminds me of drug dealers who say they'll cancel your debt if you just do them a little favour... but yet your still doing biger and bigger favours years down the road.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I was actually in agreement with FEMPI from the get-go BUT with the understanding that they would keep their side of the bargain and just get rid of it. Now teachers seem to be coerced into a bargaining situation to get rid of it! It's quite simple, just honour the deal and move on.

It reminds me of drug dealers who say they'll cancel your debt if you just do them a little favour... but yet your still doing biger and bigger favours years down the road.

Which is why I didn't vote for one of the Independent success stories of this election. This particular candidate is hailed far and wide as some sort of Houdini, but, it appears,voted to retain FEMPI last November. Not that that matters to the rest of the electorate, many of whom, as another poster pointed out, have never even heard of FEMPI, which in itself is quite shocking. But then again everyone will vote for individual self interest. Not very civic minded, but human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frankly frank

acequion wrote: »
    Which is why I didn't vote for one of the Independent success stories of this election. This particular candidate is hailed far and wide as some sort of Houdini, but, it appears,voted to retain FEMPI last November. Not that that matters to the rest of the electorate, many of whom, as another poster pointed out, have never even heard of FEMPI, which in itself is quite shocking. But then again everyone will vote for individual self interest. Not very civic minded, but human nature.

Where was the lobbying by unions during this campaign - payscales, fempi, cp etc - useless

Advertisement