Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing rules to extension exemption to help property shortage.

Options
  • 24-02-2016 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Idea came to me that seems dreadfully simple, but no-one seems to have thought of it.

My brother has returned from abroad, it would suit him to live where i am, but not ideal in the same space.

One idea was to build a 40 sqm modular 1bed garden room and he'd live there. - Gives him total independence.

It would be connected to main house services and we had quote for building of just over €30k fully finished.

Great - but planning would be required.

My parents (living near UCD) thought it was a great idea and said they'd look at something similar and allow a student rent it - handy to have someone young nearby in case of any emergency as both parents are elderly.

So, subject to some restrictions, could it be as simple to allow modular "garden" rooms under 40sqm to be allowed without having to get planning to ease housing crisis?

Notes -
    Modular because it can be moved easily and providers could "lease" them. They can also be installed within a couple of weeks.

Ideal for students / family members. This then gives a domino effect up the rental ladder.

Restrictions - gardens must be of a size suitable. Max height of 3m at highest point.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Modular homes are not cheap. The ones DCC are building are around 80K which is a rip off IMO.

A better alternative would be modular apartment. NYC is building them and are designed to make it affordable for single people to live. There is no reason why the likes of these apartments couldnt be built at Broombridge. There is a massive underutilised industrial estate there. There is the Luas going there in the next year. If you build several thousand of these affordable apartments for students and young professional. It would take strain off other housing eg houses and 1 bed apartments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/realestate/leasing-begins-for-new-yorks-first-micro-apartments.html?_r=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It would lead to a blight in certain areas. It would be much better to retain the old flats which already exist. All around the Dublin flatlands the Council are closing down flats, in some cases because of external or shared bathrooms. It is madness. They are making families live in a single hotel room and they are tossing single people onto the street rather than let them share a bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Modular homes are not cheap. The ones DCC are building are around 80K which is a rip off IMO.

A better alternative would be modular apartment. NYC is building them and are designed to make it affordable for single people to live. There is no reason why the likes of these apartments couldnt be built at Broombridge. There is a massive underutilised industrial estate there. There is the Luas going there in the next year. If you build several thousand of these affordable apartments for students and young professional. It would take strain off other housing eg houses and 1 bed apartments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/realestate/leasing-begins-for-new-yorks-first-micro-apartments.html?_r=0

Starting on a greenfield site and having to put in roads and services adds greatly to the cost. Also dcc ones are 1100sq ft 2 storey dwellings

Our quote was €31800 fully finished including concrete slab and connection into our services. Home improvement grant would give us back about 4k

Living room, kitchenette, shower room and bedroom. We were told it would be 3 weeks from confirmed order for it to be ready for completion.

As for blighting areas - put regulations in place regarding design, height and open space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Firstly, to be fair to local and national government they aren't as stupid as we all like to think. Generally most options have been discussed. Secondly, people keep terming the situation in Dublin a crisis, it's not. It's a squeeze in medium to high demand areas and on social housing.

For once, thank the Baby Jebus, we've not had a kneejerk reaction and thankfully the planning regs have not been gutted to allow for shoddy quality housing to be thrown up in every yahoos back garden looking to make a quick buck. I'm sure you'd do it properly, I'm sure you've thought it out and have a great plan people would be delighted to move into; for every one of you there's a 150 people who'd have 10 Brazilians in a garden shed with a chemical toilet and Lidl extension lead for electricity.

Firstly, to be fair to local and national government they aren't as stupid as we all like to think. Generally most options have been discussed. Secondly, people keep terming the situation in Dublin a crisis, it's not. It's a squeeze in medium to high demand areas and on social housing.

For once, thank the Baby Jebus, we've not had a kneejerk reaction and thankfully the planning regs have not been gutted to allow for shoddy quality housing to be thrown up in every yahoos back garden looking to make a quick buck. I'm sure you'd do it properly, I'm sure you've thought it out and have a great plan people would be delighted to move into; for every one of you there's a 150 people who'd have 10 Brazilians in a garden shed with a chemical toilet and Lidl extension lead for electricity.

Don't worry i thought of that, hence regulation would be needed. Max 1 bed, max 2 people, once rent goes above 12k (rent a room) every cent liable for tax. Preapproved modular designs from approved suppliers.

Possibly add a 10 year licence.

Proper amount of open space must be available possibly ensure minimum distance from any boudary to be 2m etc etc.

Remember currently you can do it, but it has to be connected to the main residence.

On the positive side, there are thousands of homes with substantial rear gardens in every area of main cities.

Another alternative is to have a "lite" planning process for something this size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I though you could build a 40 m^2 extension at the back with no PP as it is? Just put a 2 locked soundproofed door to "separate" the buildings and there you go.

I though you could build a 40 m^2 extension at the back with no PP as it is? Just put a 2 locked soundproofed door to "separate" the buildings and there you go.

yes, that's one option, but far far easier and better is to have it away from the main house & modular so that it can be removed and also completed very quickly.

again - its was just somethign that came to my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MIght make the rest of the house a bit dark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It would lead to a blight in certain areas. It would be much better to retain the old flats which already exist. All around the Dublin flatlands the Council are closing down flats, in some cases because of external or shared bathrooms. It is madness. They are making families live in a single hotel room and they are tossing single people onto the street rather than let them share a bathroom.

Where are these closed flats? I have never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

VincePP wrote: »
    Don't worry i thought of that, hence regulation would be needed. Max 1 bed, max 2 people, once rent goes above 12k (rent a room) every cent liable for tax. Preapproved modular designs from approved suppliers.

Possibly add a 10 year licence.

Proper amount of open space must be available possibly ensure minimum distance from any boudary to be 2m etc etc.

Remember currently you can do it, but it has to be connected to the main residence.

On the positive side, there are thousands of homes with substantial rear gardens in every area of main cities.

Another alternative is to have a "lite" planning process for something this size.

From the sound of what you are describing, it doesn't sound like rent a room relief would apply to it, and thus all the rent would be liable to income tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Rothmans wrote: »
    From the sound of what you are describing, it doesn't sound like rent a room relief would apply to it, and thus all the rent would be liable to income tax.

Yes, from the Revenue guide to rent-a-room scheme:

"It is not possible to let an entire residence because the room or rooms that are let must form part of the residence and the residence must be occupied by the individual receiving the rent as his/her sole or main residence. The room or rooms can comprise a self-contained unit within the residence such as a basement flat or a converted garage attached to the residence. However, a self-contained unit that is adjacent to the residence but not actually attached to it cannot qualify for the relief."

Advertisement