Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is language required for Third Level Education?

Options
  • 24-02-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shluachra

You can get into lots of third level courses without a third language. Not doing a third language just means that your choices are restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Hi. If you hate languages, give it up.

Every job you go for in life, you will have an advantage if you speak another language over other people and every industry in iteland is calling out for foreign language speakers.

If i was back again, id try and do a language to as high a standard as possible.

If you hate it, dont force it but try and embrace it. learn 10 new words a night. do your verbs a couple of times. wander the house. point at things and say what they are in German. learning new languages is great and once you pick it up, you will be glad you did. Even more enjoyable if you go on holibobs and start chatting to a local and someone understands what the hell your saying!

Language =good
    language + career progression = good (not vital but advantageous in 80% of irish business)

I do think you have to do one language. you did in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mataxor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

It is not a requirement for ITs and for UL. For most NUIs it is a requirement.

If you decide not to do one, you can still go to University but your options are restricted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

You'll be fine, most third level courses are now thought through emojis.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Mataxor wrote: »

It's a good start!!!

Can you do Russian for the leaving cert? If you can speak a language your 90% of the way there! Learn the grammer. Learn how to write it. It will be a great benefit. Business and Russian? You will be working for google, Facebook, Amazon, any insurance company or it firm in no time. Go you, you have an advantage over about 95% of the Irish population by fluently speaking a foreign language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mataxor wrote: »
    Over the years I've forgotten a lot of words and I sometimes do have difficulty speaking but now I'm going to try to learn the grammar.
    I have a question:
    Let's say I learn Russian grammar before Leaving Cert, what do I do / where do I go / who do I talk to if I actually want to do it as an exam?

Talk to your Guidance teachers in school about doing Russian fur the leaving cert, insist that they let you do it.

Here's the past papers http://theleavingcert.com/exam-papers/russian/. Have a look at them with your parents/ native Russian speakers and see what the standard is( these guys will be your teachers)

Maybe these guys could help ; http://www.languagesinitiative.ie/russian

http://m.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/olga-is-the-only-local-student-to-sit-leaving-cert-russian-27099839.html

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Hi OP, advice re talking to your guidance Teacher is good. if your Russian is better than your German then it would make sense to do it as your Language subject but yes grammar does matter and you would need a regular grind or to study on-line or at the very least invest in a grammar book and paper or online dictionary. The Russian exam would be exactly like the German exam in that it would have a written section, an oral and a aural. do you have a choice re doing/not doing a language in school? In some schools everybody does it and in others it's not compulsory. Is another subject timetabled during language or do students just go to study. if another subject is on the same lie as language and you add Russian in your own time that may bring you to eight subjects for LC. the other posters are right language is required for NUI colleges but not for the others so f you were interested say in Science or Engineering you would have lots of choice but if you wanted to study medicine or pharmacy yu would be more restricted. It would be no harm to keep the German up during TY and tehn decide. Are you exempt from Irish?. Instead of thinking of grammar as this nuisance thing that makes language learning difficult think of it as the mechanism that ensures that what we say/write makes sense! After all, your post in English was easy to understand because you used the right tenses etc, It's the same with German or Russian. It's fine to go somewhere on holidays and be able to ask for coffee or ice-cream in pidgin Spanish or German but if yu want to express ideas.......Btw it' s also possible to sit LC Latvian if you know it too, written paper only,no oral or aura! Good Luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement