Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Society Outing - Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Big thanks to GolfGraffix for sorting out another great outing - to be honest I had never heard of Bunclody before it was announced on the roster for the year. A really super course with a lot of variety, changes in elevation and landscape. The greens were definitely the thing I found hardest about the course - I really struggled to read some of the more subtle breaks. The drive on 16 was incredibly tough also.

Special thanks to Rikand and Break80 for a very enjoyable round - Rikand had a very solid round and a good score off a very challenging(low) society handicap :P

Break 80 had a solid game as well with a very consistent(and long!) 3 wood off most tees.

I successfully butchered what was otherwise a great round with 3 drives OB :(

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm not such a bad guy really :)

A real big softie, good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Thanks to the organisers for picking a gem of a course. I have never had to get a lift before to get to a tee box.
    I felt it was a very pretty golf course very well thought out with the natural elements at hand.
    I really enjoyed the company of Rikand and Big chap..
    I was very impressed with big chaps ball striking. He will be top of the pile a few times this year.
    Rikand is a model of consistency. Just boring pars and the odd birdie thrown in for good measure.
    I would give my left b*ll for half his consistency.
    Thanks again I am really enjoying my adventures across the country with the Boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Nearest the pin was Shaunac93 (I will let her explain the details !!)

Yet another fun, enjoyable, well organised boards outing! The day started early with Rikand and Charlie in the car doing a tour of Ireland before getting to Bunclody.

The craic continued on the course with scubapro, roadrunner and charlie. Decent golf from all of us at times but some really poor golf from us at times too :p

My highlight from the day was on the i think 15th, one with giant tree in middle of fairway.. driver, 9i to 3 foot and birdie putt on my index 1 for 4 points and followed it up with a par on my index 3. 7 points in two holes is always nice :)

Bunclody is one of the best courses I have played. So many memorable holes, a lovely modern clubhouse, glass lift on the course and class practise facilities. Will definately make the trip down again later in the year to play an open or something!

Its always nice to come home with a prize and Sunday was no different, even if i did win nearest the pin by being 22 metres away..haha who'd have thought it :p looks like i'm the only golfer able to hit a 6/7i in the society...only joking...even I was lucky to hit the green :)

Thanks again GG and committee, hopefully see ye all in the heritage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

One of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I've had in months. Oh yea, actually it was one of the only games of golf I've played in months! :D :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed Saturday, great craic with Bobster and Ben, all of us ripping the p1ss out of each other and just having good fun. Myself and Ben both took the tiger line on the nearest the pin and we both thought we were in the money except for the breeze to pick up and the balls just hung in the sky going nowhere till they dropped down agonisingly close to the green, short and no joy. Well done to Shauna, and of course the other prize winners. Thought that Ben was going to let rip as usual on the longest drive so I gave him some gentle encouragement. Unfortunately he hit such a wild shot his ball is now in Gentle Bens Den!

My own wild shot came on the 9th where Rikand thought I was shouting fore at them ahead of us on the green. In fact I sprayed it way right off the tee box. I didn't even know the carpark was up there till I wandered up for a look. Got a call from some guys loading their car who handed my ball to me. They had no idea if it hit anything, but told me that I would have found it anyway when I was walking up the 10th!!!:confused: So my ball was back in play :eek: They laughed at me and said no, but if it was on the 10th fairway it must have been. I didn't argue and went off to play my provisional, stitched that to 2 foot and made 5 to save a point. I would have done well to get 5 from the 10th fairway with the trees short of the green, so it worked out well for me. So out in 17 after a poor start on the first 3 holes and a lost ball. Not bad.

Solid enough on the back 9, made a mess of the par3 14th down the hill. Greenside, pin high and duffed 2 chips to earn my only scratch of the day. Long drive, well I was past it, but in the rough. Only a wedge in, and I pulled it. Water on the left.... well left, beside the little waterfall. But the ball had its head above water and was sitting on some soft gravel, my stance was on dry land, hmmmmmm, drop for a penalty in a tricky spot and do well to get 6 or risk it for a biscuit. I've never played out of the water before, but it looked very tempting. Carry over water, then land, then more water, then green, maybe 15 yards to get there. I played it perfect, landed a couple of feet on the green and rolled up to about 15 foot from the hole. I wiped my face dry and lined up the putt, left it in the jaws. Must have played 4 of 5 of my putts right on line and not enough power on Saturday. Not on 16 though, a good drive, a decent second shot and a putt from the edge had a look in the side door and left me a tap in par. 17, a putt from the rough lipped the hole to spoil my chance for the spoils. Then I missed the 18 inch putt back :rolleyes: And a lost ball from my tee shot on the last meant I could only salvage a point to come home with 18 but a tidy 35 point total.

Many, many thanks to Golfgraffix for the organising and the hard work. He went above and beyond this week considering the circumstances, so very well done. Course is class. Had only played once before, many years ago and didn't remember much, but as I was going around it was coming back to me. I know it is a little awkward to get to, but it is well worth the effort.

Sorry Rikand for braking so hard, but the guy in front of me did the same and hadn't indicated he was turning right till the last minute.

On a more serious note though guys, it was a bit slow on Saturday and there was a few groups out there who were not keeping up with those in front of them. You know who you are, so I will ask if you can please make a better effort to keep up or call the groups behind through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seve OB wrote: »
    One of the most enjoyable rounds of golf I've had in months. Oh yea, actually it was one of the only games of golf I've played in months! :D :rolleyes:

Really enjoyed Saturday, great craic with Bobster and Ben, all of us ripping the p1ss out of each other and just having good fun. Myself and Ben both took the tiger line on the nearest the pin and we both thought we were in the money except for the breeze to pick up and the balls just hung in the sky going nowhere till they dropped down agonisingly close to the green, short and no joy. Well done to Shauna, and of course the other prize winners. Thought that Ben was going to let rip as usual on the longest drive so I gave him some gentle encouragement. Unfortunately he hit such a wild shot his ball is now in Gentle Bens Den!

My own wild shot came on the 9th where Rikand thought I was shouting fore at them ahead of us on the green. In fact I sprayed it way right off the tee box. I didn't even know the carpark was up there till I wandered up for a look. Got a call from some guys loading their car who handed my ball to me. They had no idea if it hit anything, but told me that I would have found it anyway when I was walking up the 10th!!!:confused: So my ball was back in play :eek: They laughed at me and said no, but if it was on the 10th fairway it must have been. I didn't argue and went off to play my provisional, stitched that to 2 foot and made 5 to save a point. I would have done well to get 5 from the 10th fairway with the trees short of the green, so it worked out well for me. So out in 17 after a poor start on the first 3 holes and a lost ball. Not bad.

Solid enough on the back 9, made a mess of the par3 14th down the hill. Greenside, pin high and duffed 2 chips to earn my only scratch of the day. Long drive, well I was past it, but in the rough. Only a wedge in, and I pulled it. Water on the left.... well left, beside the little waterfall. But the ball had its head above water and was sitting on some soft gravel, my stance was on dry land, hmmmmmm, drop for a penalty in a tricky spot and do well to get 6 or risk it for a biscuit. I've never played out of the water before, but it looked very tempting. Carry over water, then land, then more water, then green, maybe 15 yards to get there. I played it perfect, landed a couple of feet on the green and rolled up to about 15 foot from the hole. I wiped my face dry and lined up the putt, left it in the jaws. Must have played 4 of 5 of my putts right on line and not enough power on Saturday. Not on 16 though, a good drive, a decent second shot and a putt from the edge had a look in the side door and left me a tap in par. 17, a putt from the rough lipped the hole to spoil my chance for the spoils. Then I missed the 18 inch putt back :rolleyes: And a lost ball from my tee shot on the last meant I could only salvage a point to come home with 18 but a tidy 35 point total.

Many, many thanks to Golfgraffix for the organising and the hard work. He went above and beyond this week considering the circumstances, so very well done. Course is class. Had only played once before, many years ago and didn't remember much, but as I was going around it was coming back to me. I know it is a little awkward to get to, but it is well worth the effort.

Sorry Rikand for braking so hard, but the guy in front of me did the same and hadn't indicated he was turning right till the last minute.

On a more serious note though guys, it was a bit slow on Saturday and there was a few groups out there who were not keeping up with those in front of them. You know who you are, so I will ask if you can please make a better effort to keep up or call the groups behind through.

The Car Park and anything right of the entrance road is OB if you hit to far right off the tee on 9.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The Car Park and anything right of the entrance road is OB if you hit to far right off the tee on 9.

But if the ball is on the 10th fairway it has travelled across the OB, so therefore back in play. The card does not stipulate anything right of the 9th fairway is OB. It just says the carpark area is OB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seve OB wrote: »
    But if the ball is on the 10th fairway it has travelled across the OB, so therefore back in play. The card does not stipulate anything right of the 9th fairway is OB. It just says the carpark area is OB.

There are white stakes along the edge of 9 where you cross the road. Also white stakes in front of the hut on the opposite side of the path, so only thing I can think of is 10 is OB playing from 9 to stop people hitting over the access road and hut?

In the 4 years I've been a member there I can't remember a single time of it been mentioned that someone hit the 10th fairway from the 9th tee. You must hit the ball a mile :D

There are white stakes along the edge of 9 where you cross the road. Also white stakes in front of the hut on the opposite side of the path, so only thing I can think of is 10 is OB playing from 9 to stop people hitting over the access road and hut?

In the 4 years I've been a member there I can't remember a single time of it been mentioned that someone hit the 10th fairway from the 9th tee. You must hit the ball a mile :D

didn't spot any white stakes, but I was walking through the carpark and not off the road. wasn't down as far as the hut, was back up towards the clubhouse

I can give it a fair whack alright. I would also imagine it bounced on the concrete a few times to get the extra distance.

It was an embarrassment of a shot tbh.:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was thinking that too!! Maybe it was his second shot?!!!!!!:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just as we were leaving as well, there was 2 lads searching for a ball in front of Rikands car! Bit too close for comfort, reminds me of the 1st in Moate.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

One of the things I like the most about this society is the chance to play different courses all around the country. I had never played Bunclody before but it was a cracking course. Good day out with Macker and doublecross

Macker was very solid all the way and shot a very good score. Doublecross was a bit unlucky a few times but he will be there or thereabouts for the Jug again this year. I had a solid start with 18 points on the front 9 but collapsed on the back 9 with 12 points as a few poorly struck shots and the return of my putting woes proved costly. Thanks to Captain Golfgraffix for securing such a great deal for a fine course. Looking forward to the next outing.

Advertisement