Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliver Skin on Pork/Lamb

• 24-02-2016 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Just prepped some lamb shanks, first time and just been told I should have removed the before cooking...

I:m doing a rogen Josh in slow cooker, will leaving the sliver skin on be a mistake?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I did lamb shanks the other night, in beer and sweet potato.
    I remove the skin, any obvious connective tissues. I don't try to get absolutely every bit of skin off, but any that's easily removed might aw well come off. Run your fingers inside into separate the meat, from there its just snipping off the strips of skin at the ends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Mellor wrote: »
    I did lamb shanks the other night, in beer and sweet potato.
    I remove the skin, any obvious connective tissues. I don't try to get absolutely every bit of skin off, but any that's easily removed might aw well come off. Run your fingers inside into separate the meat, from there its just snipping off the strips of skin at the ends

I'll be cooking mine for 8 hours, in that time wouldn't the connective tissue breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

8 hours - leave it. It'll add to the flavour. I'd never bother removing it myself tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never removed it either and it must break down because there's never any sign of it when it's cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

8 hours - leave it. It'll add to the flavour. I'd never bother removing it myself tbh.

Cheers, challenging myself with new cuts in recent weeks, so lots of learning ha ha, beef cheek is tomorrow's test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll be cooking mine for 8 hours, in that time wouldn't the connective tissue breakdown
    For a long slow cook it'll be gone. It's probably the first to breakdown actually as its quite thin. Mine was 3 hours and the only connective tissue left was the ligaments around the joint.
    I must admit, I get a weird satisfaction dismantling the knee joint when eating shanks

Advertisement