Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers and the delete button.

Options
  • 25-02-2016 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

What's the story with bloggers instantly deleting comments and blocking people on social media?

Just now I saw some of the snap chatters as my girlfriend likes to follow them and one just annoyed me I won't name her but she currently has a Snapchat story up showing off new jeans she got sent from a company.

Now here's my problem, she goes on saying she doesn't get paid for the stuff she puts up bla bla bla, but at the same time she showed off all the jeans, talked about them in great detail even showing the prices of the stuff she got for free and went on to tell everyone on several different types of social media where they could buy them.

Am I missing something here? Isn't getting something sent to you for free a form of payment? Is this persons intelligence so low she doesn't know that or what's more likely she doesn't want people to think she's doing it for the goods?

Anyway I posted on her Instagram explaining that even though she didn't get cold hard cash to promote the product getting the jeans she described as "her favorite brand" was a form of payment.

It didn't shock me that she deleted it to be honest I expected it, what shocked me was my comment was gone and I was blocked in a matter of seconds! If I had to guess I'd say around 30 seconds.

If they can't handle the heat of the spot light maybe they should get out of it.

Also I really can't understand why their so protected on boards. They get it lightly compared to some comments I've seen written about actual famous people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BunChop_30

I don't know what your personal definition of payment is, and 'a form of' is fairly vague, but no, press samples aren't payment. They're usually sent out with no terms - you feature them if you like them, or if you dislike them and want to tell people not to bother with whatever the item/s is/are. I've worked in the industry for about five years now, it's never gone any other way AND I've never been able to pay for my groceries with promo samples, dammit!

Anyway, on this particular story, the snapper (snapchatter?) said the items were sent for free, but that she didn't receive payment to promote them. As far as I can tell, that's pretty transparent. So, never mind what you think is or isn't payment, there's been full disclosure.

What I wanted to comment on here was deleting comments/blocking.

At the end of the day, you're not entitled to post on anyone's social media, and they're not entitled to post on yours. I think that works well? Also, if your comment had the same tone as this post, I imagine it came off as condescending. Like, you've corrected somebody on something that you're wrong about, and you've insulted their intelligence. Not really conducive to a good chat!

I hope that made sense, I'm half asleep. If not, loads of good bloggers have posts on their disclosure polices, and they spell out the workings of press samples/sponsorships really clearly. Great insights, especially if you're on the reader side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

There's no point in being frustrated about this. There have been disgusting actions from certain bloggers over the last year. We cannot comment on this, we cannot give feedback, we cannot have an opinion.

Anxiety was the buzzword of last year. One blogger cancelled an entire event last week , I think, (possibly the week before) because of the comments on Instagram about the price. She was replaced by a model instead.

Your comment was probably deleted with another 50-100 in that day. When you are pretty, successful and work for yourself you don't have to take anyone elses opinion. There is no manager to complain to, there is no feedback form, there is no regulating of anything.

Some of the big bloggers nowadays are severely insecure women. I know this because they repeatedly talk about it on all forms of social media. It's seen as a way of being "strong".
    Don't sweat it, if you enjoy following bloggers do it, but don't expect to be allowed any sort of option to critique them.

Also with the jeans, of course they were free, but the best way you can market yourself as a brand is by displaying you're advertising skills on snapchat so other brands will see and offer work.

Blogging (ha that word makes me laugh now, can't even remember the last time anyone actually published a blog post) is very little more than advertising. What you are looking at 9/10 times on YouTube, wordpress, Instagram is an advertisement. Paid or not paid. But every post is a display of a bloggers skills to show how they can sell something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

BunChop_30 wrote: »
    I don't know what your personal definition of payment is, and 'a form of' is fairly vague, but no, press samples aren't payment. They're usually sent out with no terms - you feature them if you like them, or if you dislike them and want to tell people not to bother with whatever the item/s is/are. I've worked in the industry for about five years now, it's never gone any other way AND I've never been able to pay for my groceries with promo samples, dammit!

Anyway, on this particular story, the snapper (snapchatter?) said the items were sent for free, but that she didn't receive payment to promote them. As far as I can tell, that's pretty transparent. So, never mind what you think is or isn't payment, there's been full disclosure.

What I wanted to comment on here was deleting comments/blocking.

At the end of the day, you're not entitled to post on anyone's social media, and they're not entitled to post on yours. I think that works well? Also, if your comment had the same tone as this post, I imagine it came off as condescending. Like, you've corrected somebody on something that you're wrong about, and you've insulted their intelligence. Not really conducive to a good chat!

I hope that made sense, I'm half asleep. If not, loads of good bloggers have posts on their disclosure polices, and they spell out the workings of press samples/sponsorships really clearly. Great insights, especially if you're on the reader side of things.

I understand what your saying but, receiving goods for to do something is payment. What happened before we had currency? I did a job and someone would pay me in goods, food or board. I know we've evolved a bit since then but its the same concept.

And I would 100% agree with the your point she's been sent something to review it and that's fair enough but let's be honest here when was the last time someone said something bad about a product they've been sent? There is one blogger her Snapchat name is "thebeautifultruth" I believe and she actually gives her viewers if something is crap and low and behold she doesn't get sent half the stuff these other bloggers do. I know well that's just smart on behalf of the company's but bloggers lying to their followers about how good a product is to get sent more free stuff from suppliers is just wrong in my book, after all the people following these people are the ones who have put them in this position to make a good living through social medias and should deserve the truth from these bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP I would say just don't worry or get worked up about it. I could tell instantly the blogger you were talking about and unfortunately that is her form. So there's not point in getting worked up about it, if it bothers you that much maybe discuss it with your girlfriend and get her to unfollow or don't view her snapchats. I used to get annoyed like yourself, but then I just unfollowed the ones that annoyed me or who I felt were being dishonest and now I have a small selection bloggers that I follow and more importantly trust and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I'm not sure if I can name other websites on here?

There's a website that has threads on hundreds of different bloggers from all over the world.

I use the term bloggers pretty loosely in respect of some f the Irish bloggers as some of them seem to only snap bland ads now.....so over it and I think anyone beyond the age of 15 with half a brain is too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

dashdoll wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I can name other websites on here?

There's a website that has threads on hundreds of different bloggers from all over the world.

I use the term bloggers pretty loosely in respect of some f the Irish bloggers as some of them seem to only snap bland ads now.....so over it and I think anyone beyond the age of 15 with half a brain is too.

I think I know the one you mean and it's horrible. The nastiness is shocking.

BTW, I can see the OPs point about the deleted comment, but at the end of the day she did disclose it was a free sample, she followed the rules. If you see some of the abuse that bloggers get in forums where they're allowed to say what they want, you'd understand why you were blocked so fast, but it's frustrating that you can't give honest feedback to bloggers, there's no middle ground

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BunChop_30

SeanHarty - 'receiving goods for to do something is payment' Ok, yeah, but you've got to chop off the 'for to do something' there, because, as I mentioned, you're not bartering/entering into a contract when you accept a press sample. So, while I think it's pointless to bring up a time before we had legal tender, it would still stand that a press sample isn't used as a bartering tool.

I could fire out a mega list of bloggers who give honest reviews. I am a blogger who gives honest reviews. But you know, positive reviews can be honest too. I find I'm never praised for my honesty more than when I'm slating a product, but sure I'm being just as honest when I'm head over heels for something. Anyway, the reason any blogger gets press samples or sponsorships is because they have an audience. If you don't want them to get those opportunities, don't be part of that audience.

BunChop_30 wrote: »
    SeanHarty - 'receiving goods for to do something is payment' Ok, yeah, but you've got to chop off the 'for to do something' there, because, as I mentioned, you're not bartering/entering into a contract when you accept a press sample. So, while I think it's pointless to bring up a time before we had legal tender, it would still stand that a press sample isn't used as a bartering tool.

I could fire out a mega list of bloggers who give honest reviews. I am a blogger who gives honest reviews. But you know, positive reviews can be honest too. I find I'm never praised for my honesty more than when I'm slating a product, but sure I'm being just as honest when I'm head over heels for something. Anyway, the reason any blogger gets press samples or sponsorships is because they have an audience. If you don't want them to get those opportunities, don't be part of that audience.

I suppose the main thing that annoys me about said blogger is the dishonesty, I personally don't understand how she has any followers the way she goes on but hey each to their own.

I feel sorry for actual bloggers like yourself who are being honest I'm sure these bloggers only hurt everyone's image.

I do appreciate you engaging in a mature conversation though and also showing us a little insight from a bloggers side of things, its much more constructive than just banning and deleting hard questions they just don't want to answer.

I wish you all the best ☺

Its interesting that every week an outsider from the beauty forum comes in and has a thread similar to this, a lot of us here post all the time and have the same perspective so when someone new comes in and provides the same insight it really shows how crap the industry has become.

I un-follow most that frustrate me but the bigger ones are the ones who get press samples and therefore its the easiest way to see new products coming out. So yes un-following is always an option but when you want to see new releases it isn't you just have to ignore.

Really hard to see a lot of it though, some of the women I follow are older than me and I can't understand how some of them are so lacking in certain qualities and lets be fair, just basic cop on.

Like when someone posts a pic in a bra (which I have no problem with) but its so obviously the wrong size that it looks painful.
    That might sound like a silly example but how does someone who is 30 not know what size bra they should be wearing. And yeah boobs fluctuate. But you still should be fitting comfortably in your bra.

Or someone talking continuously about how they eat takeaway 5 nights a week. How does a 30 year old not know how to cook? Its pathetic.

Yes it isn't actually about beauty most of it is about wading through the rubbish chit chat and then wade through the jeans ads and blank canvas/teatox bull and then eventually you might finally info on a new product.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

SeanHarty wrote: »
    What's the story with bloggers instantly deleting comments and blocking people on social media?

Just now I saw some of the snap chatters as my girlfriend likes to follow them and one just annoyed me I won't name her but she currently has a Snapchat story up showing off new jeans she got sent from a company.

Now here's my problem, she goes on saying she doesn't get paid for the stuff she puts up bla bla bla, but at the same time she showed off all the jeans, talked about them in great detail even showing the prices of the stuff she got for free and went on to tell everyone on several different types of social media where they could buy them.

Am I missing something here? Isn't getting something sent to you for free a form of payment? Is this persons intelligence so low she doesn't know that or what's more likely she doesn't want people to think she's doing it for the goods?

Anyway I posted on her Instagram explaining that even though she didn't get cold hard cash to promote the product getting the jeans she described as "her favorite brand" was a form of payment.

It didn't shock me that she deleted it to be honest I expected it, what shocked me was my comment was gone and I was blocked in a matter of seconds! If I had to guess I'd say around 30 seconds.

If they can't handle the heat of the spot light maybe they should get out of it.

Also I really can't understand why their so protected on boards. They get it lightly compared to some comments I've seen written about actual famous people.

The blogger your are talking about is after 'addressing the issue' today on her snapchat story. She said a followers boyfriend commented on her instagram post saying that she was receiving payment but that he was wrong. Your comment may have been deleted SeanHarty, but it seems its had the desired effect? :)

• Advertisement

fitzytour wrote: »
    The blogger your are talking about is after 'addressing the issue' today on her snapchat story. She said a followers boyfriend commented on her instagram post saying that she was receiving payment but that he was wrong. Your comment may have been deleted SeanHarty, but it seems its had the desired effect? :)

I wonder do a lot of the bloggers lurk on boards waiting for these threads.

Its like we're being watched :o

I honestly didnt think the comment i posted on her Instagram was offensive or upsetting in any way, I was actually curious how over six hundred euro in merchandise was not a form of payment when this person was clearly going to talk about it on her social media.

Unfortunately today I received a private message from her fiancé in a vaguely threating mannor telling me that my "pathetic little opinion" upset his fiancé and he could "meet me in person"

I'm pretty shocked that he felt the need to do this, I have a screen shot of my original comment and it is no way abusive (she even referred to it as patronizing on her Snapchat)

Wow I now know why people keep their opinions about bloggers to themselves, I'll make sure to keep my mouth shut in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I honestly didnt think the comment i posted on her Instagram was offensive or upsetting in any way, I was actually curious how over six hundred euro in merchandise was not a form of payment when this person was clearly going to talk about it on her social media.

Unfortunately today I received a private message from her fiancé in a vaguely threating mannor telling me that my "pathetic little opinion" upset his fiancé and he could "meet me in person"

I'm pretty shocked that he felt the need to do this, I have a screen shot of my original comment and it is no way abusive (she even referred to it as patronizing on her Snapchat)

Wow I now know why people keep their opinions about bloggers to themselves, I'll make sure to keep my mouth shut in future.

He actually did that to someone else I know except he called their place of work and demanded to speak to them. He's a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Ah lads I thought I'd heard it all but my jaw is on the floor here. Utter, utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭qwerty1991

I would love to see your original comment op, if there is no issue with you or the moderator!

I have recently started following the blogger in question and also follow many others. It genuinely surprises me how grown women (mainly) react so defensively to any sort of question as regards payment, endorsements etc and critiquing/ differing opinions. I saw her snapchatting those jeans... hundreds of euros of free merchandise not being deemed payment?! I'm sure she knows if she did not post about them on her various forms of social media then the supplier would not give her free merchandise again.

I think followers are starting to realise that of all the 50 adoring comments on a facebook post for example, there has probably been 1 or 2 deleted for asking has the blogger been paid or questioning/ critiquing the blogger.

I think Irish bloggers need to start addressing these usually very polite and civil critiques/questions instead of childishly deleting everything and calling out haters or saying the comments upset them.

The blogger in question could have very easily just answered your comment and agreed to disagree. Or she could have ignored it and left it there. By deleting it seems like she has something to hide almost! What I dislike about this constant deleting of comments from so many bloggers is that (I think anyways) the blogger knows you are right in some way, that it is in this example some form of payment in exchange for some advertising / blogging exposure. So she does not want her other followers twigging or maybe thinking about it when they see your comment so she deleted it.

I think this is why so many other questions regarding endorsements/payments or critiques are deleted so quickly, but bloggers who do that are in my opinion very non transparent and now as more people are bringing it up on places like boards.ie etc. , more bloggers are being found out. This is probably having a counter effect (from me as a follower anyway) because sneakily deleting comments turns may off bloggers a million times more than anything the comment may have said or asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Taboola wrote: »
    He actually did that to someone else I know except he called their place of work and demanded to speak to them. He's a nasty piece of work.

My God that is disgraceful. Says a lot about class doesn't it. That is completely out of order. What about freedom of speech and opinions. Pathetic behaviour and I'm shocked to hear that it happened. Does every celebrity or person with a public profile have someone personally respond to criticism in that manner.....no.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Here is my exact quote I can post a screenshot if needed but you can see her name in it so I don't want to get this thread locked.

"You do realize that you have been paid to promote these products right? You haven't been given cold hard cash but you've been given merchandize that has a value. Promoting a product for free would be going out and buying something with your hard earned money and showing it off."

I can see now that it is a bit patronizing but I don't see how it would warrent that kind of reaction.

Also for the record she went onto my Instagram, found my girlfriends Instagram and also blocked her even though she follows her and had nothing to do with what I posted and has never posted anything negative about the said blogger or any blogger for that matter. She didn't even know I was posting about this or she probably would have stopped me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Honestly, I'd make a collage of both your comment and his private message, and post it to your Instagram. Hashtag the hell out of it, and repost it to Twitter including some media types... I'm sure I've heard Spin talking about bloggers at lunchtime and probably Adrian Kennedy, but I'd guess they would willing to have another chat if 'vague threats' are now considered an acceptable way of operating what is effectively a business.

If you do this, please let me know which hashtags you use as I'd be interested to know which low level rent a thug I should avoid.

I wouldn't be able to guess which Irish blogger it is - I'm only aware of three really... One isn't my style, one is outside of my price range, so I only follow the third one.

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Also for the record she went onto my Instagram, found my girlfriends Instagram and also blocked her even though she follows her and had nothing to do with what I posted and has never posted anything negative about the said blogger or any blogger for that matter. She didn't even know I was posting about this or she probably would have stopped me 😂

I'm sorry, she went and tracked down your girlfriend's Instagram to block her too?? Wow...

I think this blogger's decision to "address the issue" has just highlighted that she's very definitely following threads like this.

ameliams wrote: »
    Wow. That's mad. I haven't even seen the jeans or the snapchat but I can easily tell who it is.

Unfortunately I think certain people blogging don't have the mental capacity to deal with it and it shows in their reaction. Or fiances reaction apparently. The last thread that was going for ages was closed after the thread blew up following <SNIP> posting of that bloggers nasty post from the thread.
    I feel bad for her, her <SNIP>

Don't mention the war :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Here is my exact quote I can post a screenshot if needed but you can see her name in it so I don't want to get this thread locked.

"You do realize that you have been paid to promote these products right? You haven't been given cold hard cash but you've been given merchandize that has a value. Promoting a product for free would be going out and buying something with your hard earned money and showing it off."

I can see now that it is a bit patronizing but I don't see how it would warrent that kind of reaction.

While her later behavior is inexcusable if she wasn't actually paid for denim blog or whatever, then her instagram is perfectly above board. She got free samples, she declared it (unlike majority of content in newspapers) and posted some pictures. Advertising guidelines consider it above board, in fact more or less all reviews are done with free samples. So tell me, how many of similar letters did you send to, I don't know, Irish Times readers section because their reviewers use free samples too?

I find it convenient that a man with handful of posts on boards gets so animated about entry of female beauty fashion blogger to start thread about it. Not even that, he even takes a screen shot of post before it's deleted, just in case. Why exactly?

meeeeh wrote: »

I find it convenient that a man with handful of posts on boards gets so animated about entry of female beauty fashion blogger to start thread about it. Not even that, he even takes a screen shot of post before it's deleted, just in case. Why exactly?

Convenient for what exactly? He's not the first man to comment here on Irish beauty bloggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Netty2

I cannot believe her fiancé did that. !!! Unreal.

While her later behavior is inexcusable if she wasn't actually paid for denim blog or whatever, then her instagram is perfectly above board. She got free samples, she declared it (unlike majority of content in newspapers) and posted some pictures. Advertising guidelines consider it above board, in fact more or less all reviews are done with free samples. So tell me, how many of similar letters did you send to, I don't know, Irish Times readers section because their reviewers use free samples too?

This is an old account I set up to play a PlayStation game with other Irish people and I don't really post on here.

I posted on here out of interest to see other peoples opinions where posts can't be deleted the second there posted.

Also I took the screenshot after she had deleted my comment seconds after it was sent to show my girlfriend, I could still view it in the minimized version of Instagram if you must know haha

Taboola wrote: »
    Convenient for what exactly? He's not the first man to comment here on Irish beauty bloggers.

Let me guess, you are the girlfriend?

A man with about 5 previous posts a year ago feels so strongly about female beauty blogger to look for a subforum of a fashion forum and start a thread about it. BTW why would someone post in beauty forum what is essentially a thread about clothing?

But who do you think he is if you don't think he is who he says he is?

ameliams wrote: »
    But who do you think he is if you don't think he is who he says he is?

Someone whose gf is on this forum and they decided it's time to open another blogger thread for fun.

Well maybe but threatening messages is fairly bad on the part of the blogger. I've definitely never heard that one before.

Let me guess, you are the girlfriend?

A man with about 5 previous posts a year ago feels so strongly about female beauty blogger to look for a subforum of a fashion forum and start a thread about it. BTW why would someone post in beauty forum what is essentially a thread about clothing?

Nope I'm not the gf and I've personally never had an altercation with the blogger in question and she has never blocked me. I just find it odd that you are questioning someone who spotted something that almost everyone already knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - if you have suspicion about a poster, please use Report Post. Do not fill the thread up with speculation.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement