Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done, a great disciplined performance. I was stuck on 40:03 for a year, had to go back to the same race to sort it! Hopefully sooner for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

snailsong wrote: »
    Well done, a great disciplined performance. I was stuck on 40:03 for a year, had to go back to the same race to sort it! Hopefully sooner for you.

Thanks P, hopefully it wont be too long.
    Not long for you now till Rotterdam, enjoy the taper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB and great big chunk of it to. Don't stress the 4 seconds, they'll be gone in the next race as its fitter you're getting.

Monday
    5 miles @ 9:00m/m recovery

Tuesday
    7 miles @ 8:14m/m general aerobic
    with 6 x 100m strides

Jake jrs confirmation is this Friday and we are heading down the country for the weekend hopefully this wont impact to much on my training. I suggested we do a parkrun Saturday morning but it didnt get much of a response :(

Saturday
    Lee's road parkrun 20:35

So I managed to convince(bribe) the family that a bit of parkrun tourism would be fun on Saturday morning. Lee's road parkrun in Ennis was the venue and what a lovely venue it is. The course is run on forest path/trail and has quite a few challening climbs but I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it, im not sure the rest of the family did though:)
    4.4 miles in total.

Sunday
    5.7 miles @ 8:40m/m
    Done this around the grounds of Dromoland Castle which like the parkrun on Saturday was a very undulating route and my calves have being giving out to me ever since.

31.1 miles for the week

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    6 miles @ 8:22m/m general aerobic
    with 6x100m strides
    Legs feeling very tired and heavy after the weekends hilly running, actually my whole body feels heavy because I gained 2 kilos in weight over the weekend:eek:. I was hoping the strides might loosen out the legs but no such luck.

Wednesday
    8 miles @ 8:19m/m general aerobic.
    Legs running a bit more freely this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice going in Clongowes!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice going in Clongowes!!!

Thanks B, I was hoping for better but it is my fastest 5k in nearly 2 years so I wont complain this time:)

Friday
    5 miles @ 8:57m/m with 4x100m strides

Saturday: Clongowes 5k 19:40

Not too much to report, I thought that maybe a PB would be possible after my result at the K Club. So with that in mind I set off at PB pace but unfortunately right from the start I was struggling to maintain pace and the first mile came in at 6:13.
    As is usual for me I am now running on my own, I am in no mans land and the pace is slowly dropping. Around half way now and the 2nd lady catches up with me and I fall into step with her, this is exactly what I need at this stage and I make a bit of a recovery and this mile comes in at 6:22.
    We are both working hard to maintain pace which is actually slowing but we manage to pass a couple runners and now we are back at the gates of Clongowes and that long straight to the finish line(500m) is all we have left. We are running side by side now and I know if she has any finishing kick at all I am done for. I try to up the pace but there is nothing there, with about 200m to go she pulls ahead and another runner comes past me and thats how it finishes. I cross the line in 19:40 in 16th position with the last mile and a bit 6:30(35 secs)

As I mentioned above to Tang that I was hoping for better but I am not disappointed with the result. My PB is 19:06 which seems a long way away and I probably need to do more 5k specific training to reach them dizzy heights again.

5.9 miles including warm up and cool down.

24.9 miles for the week

Monday
    5 miles @ 8:50m/m recovery

Wednesday
    5.7 miles with 4x100m strides followed by 1200m @10k pace(6:27m/m)
    I woke up with a sore throat and the sniffles on Wednesday morning so by the time I got around to running this in the evening I wasnt feeling great. I hit 6:33m/m pace for the 1200m.
    This is the last week of 10k training but after the PB at the K Club I am finding it hard to get motivated to chase another PB at the weekend and the fact that I am not feeling 100% at the moment means that I wont be racing a 10k this weekend. As this week is taper week in the plan I will follow it anyway as an easy week of running wont do me any harm at all.

Next week sees the start of a new training cycle with the goal race being the the Roscommon Harriers 10 mle race on the 8th of July. I will once again use a plan from Faster Road Racing and I hope to get in a few shorter races including Bob heffernan 5k, Terenure 5 mile and Dunshaughlin 10k. There is a 10 mile race fairly local to me on Monday and If I can get rid of the sniffles by then I will run this just to set a marker as I have never ran a 10 mile race before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

What 10 mile race are you running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Kennyg71 wrote: »

If you could run as fast as you read Kennyg :)...

The Roscommon Harriers 10m, it says it in his post

TbL

If you could run as fast as you read Kennyg :)...

The Roscommon Harriers 10m, it says it in his post

TbL

I think he means the one on Monday

It is in Edenderry @ 12pm G, registration is on Pop Up Races and according to facebook you can also register on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jake1970 wrote: »

It is in Edenderry @ 12pm G, registration is on Pop Up Races and according to facebook you can also register on the day.

Doh, apologies Kennyg, I'm obviously slower on the pick up than I am over 5k :)

Best of luck with it Jake

TbL

jake1970 wrote: »

Yeah Mondays one, best luck. Will be good jump off point, hope head clears in time.

Thursday
    5.3 miles @ 7:50m/m

Sunday
    4.6 miles @ 8:56m/m with 4x110m strides

Finished off the week with a couple of easy runs before I start into a new training cycle.

20.6 miles for the week

I have had a busy couple of weeks and my log has suffered because of it, so it is time for an update.

Monday 17th of April

Edenderry 10 mile: 1:08:16
    Roscommon 10 mile race is my new target race so I decided to kick off this new training cycle with a 10 mile race. Unfortunately as it is now 2 weeks since the race I am a struggling to remember much detail about the race but I do remember that after the race I was very happy with how I had raced it.
    Splits:
    6:53
    6:50
    6:53
    6:55
    6:48
    6:56
    6:45
    6:51
    6:48
    6:57
    That was my first ever 10 mile so it was a PB:) and that now gives me a time to chase in Roscommon.
    11.8 miles including warm up.

Tuesday
    5 miles @ 9:09m/m Recovery
    Legs were in bits after the race the previous day so a nice gentle recovery run was called for.

Thursday
    6 miles @ 8:17m/m
    Legs were still a little stiff so I threw in 6x100m strides.

Saturday
    8.6 miles @ 7:53m/m endurance

31.4 miles for the week

Monday 24th of April
    7 miles @ 8:17m/m with 6x12 secs hills followed by 6x100m strides
    Got out late in the evening for what was a decent workout.

Wednesday
    2 miles abandoned run.
    Straight from the off I could feel a slight tightness in my knee but I thought I would be able to run it off that it was only a bit of stiffness but after 2 miles I had to abandon the run due to the pain.

Friday
    5 miles @ 7:58m/m
    My knee felt a little stiff on Thursday and by Friday it felt grand. I dropped jake jr to Gaa training and decided that instead of hanging around for him that I might as well go for a run. 2.5 miles into the run and the pain reappears again so I had to turn around and run the 2.5 mile back in some discomfort.

14 miles for the week:(

Tuesday
    Knee update: Went to Physio today and thankfully the prognosis is not to bad. The problem with my knee is caused by a muscle imbalance that is knocking my tracking off. This means that I have to work on strenghtening the muscles just above the knee. The good news is that I can keep running but only short runs and no speed work for 2 weeks. So that obviously will have a major impact on training for Roscommon as I will have missed 3 weeks training right at the start of this training cycle and I probably shouldnt jump straight back into the plan after injury.

So the main focus now is to get back running injury free and when I do I will decide then what to do next training wise. I was thinking that I might start marathon training earlier this year than I normally do as I usually follow a 12 week plan for the marathon, maybe I will do the P&D 18 week plan.
    As regards Roscommon I will probably run it anyway if fit. Unfortunately I will miss the Terenure 5 mile race and probably a few more that I had pencilled in for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ah damn that's a pity! Hopefully you'll get back at it stronger and be rearing to go for the marathon cycle.

Great result in 10mile, nice marker for goal race. Hate them pesky imbalances, but worth putting right, hopefully rehab goes smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Sorry to hear about the setback but that is a pretty good prognosis, all things considered. Cant believe we are edging so close to pre-marathon training all ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on the pb bummer on the injury hopefully it will be sorted soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Get the knee sorted first, and worry about the races later. I can vouch for the P+D 18 week plan. The first couple of weeks are handy enough on the up to 55 plan to ease into. Funnily enough I'm looking at the 12 week plan this time round.

Ah damn that's a pity! Hopefully you'll get back at it stronger and be rearing to go for the marathon cycle.
    Great result in 10mile, nice marker for goal race. Hate them pesky imbalances, but worth putting right, hopefully rehab goes smoothly.
    denis b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the setback but that is a pretty good prognosis, all things considered. Cant believe we are edging so close to pre-marathon training all ready.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats on the pb bummer on the injury hopefully it will be sorted soon. :)

I am pretty confident of making a quick recovery but I will definitely take as much time as is necessary to get back fit. About 2 years ago the physio said to me during a routine visit that the muscles above the knee were weak and he gave me excercises to do back then and he said that if didnt strengten the muscles I would have problems with my knees in the future. I did them for about a week , how right he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Damn bodies! Sounds like things are well under control anyway. Any cross training opportunities?

Get the knee sorted first, and worry about the races later. I can vouch for the P+D 18 week plan. The first couple of weeks are handy enough on the up to 55 plan to ease into. Funnily enough I'm looking at the 12 week plan this time round.

I have done the P&D 12 week plan twice now and it has served me well. 18 weeks just seems like a long time but maybe it would be the best way to go this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Do the rehab and strengthen the issue L, don't neglect it. The Mullingar 10 is a week after Roscommon and gives you more time to target that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear that L, fingers crossed rehab goes well. Fwiw it's worth I was able to run pretty much all the time through rehabbing my own knee knack and it's long since behind me now. Just had to do the exercises as prescribed so hopefully doing similar sorts you out.

Singer wrote: »
    Damn bodies! Sounds like things are well under control anyway. Any cross training opportunities?

The physio said I can still do short slow runs and to slowly up the mileage over the next few weeks but absolutely no speed work or long distances for at least 2 weeks, I am happy enough with that. I might dig out my bike next week and go for a cycle but I am dont have a great love of cycling. I could run for 2 hours no problem but any length of time on a bike and I get bored.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Do the rehab and strengthen the issue L, don't neglect it. The Mullingar 10 is a week after Roscommon and gives you more time to target that.

Thanks for the heads up on Mullingar B but Mrs jake has had her say and its Roscommon or nothing, I have to keep on her good side because I havent told her about DCM yet.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that L, fingers crossed rehab goes well. Fwiw it's worth I was able to run pretty much all the time through rehabbing my own knee knack and it's long since behind me now. Just had to do the exercises as prescribed so hopefully doing similar sorts you out.

Its good to hear that diego. Do you still have to do the exercises ? My physio recommends that even when I get back fully fit that I should still do the exercises(mainly squats) every second day.

Advertisement