Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Welcome back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Friday
    4.1 miles @ 9:14m/m recovery
    Easy run before work, legs felt fine.

Sunday
    11.3 miles @ 8.22m/m
    A big improvement on last weeks long run but I still faded over the last couple of miles but I put that down to the increased mileage and 3 faster miles in the middle of the run and maybe the heat was also a factor.

33.8 miles for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great to see you back training and building back up the miles. I've had similar experiences with long runs after a break. The only advice I can give is maybe slow down a bit especially in the heat. (I'm saying this full aware that it's advice I probably didn't heed myself!). You'll still get the miles under your belt. Or even run them very easy to start off and then just pick up the pace a bit towards the end.

Great to see you back training and building back up the miles. I've had similar experiences with long runs after a break. The only advice I can give is maybe slow down a bit especially in the heat. (I'm saying this full aware that it's advice I probably didn't heed myself!). You'll still get the miles under your belt. Or even run them very easy to start off and then just pick up the pace a bit towards the end.

You are right I should slow down the long runs and overall I should probably be more patient and not try to rush back to full fitness but thankfully I do feel the fitness improving weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Spot on HBS. Had the very same experience last weekend L. No excuses this weekend though :)

• Advertisement

Monday
    5 miles @ 9:07m/m recovery
    Nice recovery run along the canal to Milltown very warm though.

Wednesday
    7.2 miles @ 8:11m/m
    I went out for this run straight from work and it was roasting out there, it was the hottest day of the year after all. I had planned on doing some strides but I didnt bother because of the heat.

Friday
    5 miles @ 8:56m/m recovery.
    Dropped jake jr off at GAA training and headed out my usual route to Robertstown and back, did 6 x 100m strides on the way back.

Saturday
    10 miles @ 8:59m/m
    Similar run to 2 weeks ago this run was a slog right from the start. Legs were stiff and recovery pace was all I could manage. Very frustrating run.

Sunday
    Coil Dubh 5k: 20:32
    I signed up for this local race during the week as an incentive to kick start some speed work into my training. It is 10 weeks since my last race and I had done no speed work in that time either apart from some strides in the last few weeks so I wasnt expecting to much from this espeacially after yesterdays run. I had set myself a target of sub 21 mins and I was happy to come in at 20:32. The splits were 6:29, 6:36 and 6:42(45 secs). It was a good workout and at the end I felt that I could have given more as I never reached that pain that I would normally get in a flat out 5k.
    5.4 miles including warm up and cool down.

32.6 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Nice comeback L, glad to see things going in the right direction :)

Nice comeback L, glad to see things going in the right direction :)

Unfortunately the comeback is short lived A. I had an appointment booked with the Physical therapist for today just for a massage for my tired and stiff legs and I mentioned to him that my right Achilles tendon was very tender to touch but it was alright when walking or running. He took one look at it and told me that it was very badly inflamed, he treated it(serious pain) and then told me no running for 2 weeks and then to very slowly build back up the miles as rushing back from the previous injury is probably what caused this injury.
    Plenty of stretching and foam rolling of the calf to add to all the stretching, foam rolling and squats that I am already doing. If that list gets any longer I wont have any time to run.
    So regards future races that I had planned, Roscommon 10 mile in 2 weeks and Tullamore half in August are off. I wasnt sure about running DCM as I felt that I am not where I would like to be fitness wise and so this latest setback means that there will be no marathon for me this year.
    As soon as I get back running injury free I will set new targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that and just as things were going well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Ah no, sorry to hear. Sounds like you're being sensible (as usual!).

• Advertisement

Aw crap :( sorry to hear that. The *good* thing is that now you've decided no DCM you can take your time and build back up slowly without putting any pressure on yourself and maybe just go out and run for enjoyment once you're allowed back on the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

So sorry to hear that your plans have to change L. Sounds as though you will be back in action sooner than later with a different horizon. Stay sane and recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Really sorry to hear that, take your time and recover well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear that L, that's a good spot from your Physio and saved you a possible nasty major injury (my brother's Achilles just exploded during a hurling match on Sunday)...12 weeks in a cast ahead for him following surgery in the morning. Hope the exercises do the job for you and you can get back to your routine soon.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear that and just as things were going well for you.

Thanks Neady, hopefully its only a short break.
    Singer wrote: »
    Ah no, sorry to hear. Sounds like you're being sensible (as usual!).
    HaHa, maybe I should listen to my sensible self as it was only last week when I said that I was rushing my last recovery.
    denis b wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that your plans have to change L. Sounds as though you will be back in action sooner than later with a different horizon. Stay sane and recover.
    New plans already forming.
    Aw crap :( sorry to hear that. The *good* thing is that now you've decided no DCM you can take your time and build back up slowly without putting any pressure on yourself and maybe just go out and run for enjoyment once you're allowed back on the road :)
    No DCM definitely takes the pressure off.
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear that, take your time and recover well.
    Will do, 2 injuries in 10 weeks I want to get it right this time.
    diego_b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that L, that's a good spot from your Physio and saved you a possible nasty major injury (my brother's Achilles just exploded during a hurling match on Sunday)...12 weeks in a cast ahead for him following surgery in the morning. Hope the exercises do the job for you and you can get back to your routine soon.
    Sorry to hear about your brother, that is a nasty one. When I got home from the Physio I checked out Achilles injuries with Dr. Google and ruptured Achilles came up, I was happy to settle for 2 weeks of no running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

I'm of the same mind about the time it takes to do the blo**y strengthening and stretching :rolleyes:. Sorry to hear the bad news but you're being wise.

I have DCM taken off my list recently too, you're not alone ... looks like it'll be sold out way too soon to allow any dithering anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bummer L only catching up hope you get back running soon.

Time for an update.

Week beginning 10th of July: 4 runs of 3, 3.4, 3.7 and 4.1 miles

Week beginning 17th of July: 4 runs of 3.5, 3.9, 4.2 and 4.5 miles

Week beginning 24th of July: 3 runs of 4, 4.3 and 4.5 miles

I ran all the above along the same route, on grass and at recovery pace I am slowly losing the will to run:D I ice the achilles after every run and it seems to be on the mend but I havent really stressed it yet.
    This week I will integrate some time on the road back into my runs and depending on how that goes I will look to inject a bit of pace back into my running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

completely missed that you were off injured and that DCM is off , sorry to hear that L. Good solid recovery and you'll be back in no time.

PS Donadea 50k entry opened yesterday!!!;)

Younganne wrote: »
    completely missed that you were off injured and that DCM is off , sorry to hear that L. Good solid recovery and you'll be back in no time.

PS Donadea 50k entry opened yesterday!!!;)

I seen that and with no DCM getting in the way of training this would be the ideal time to do it. I had sort of decided to write off this year, give my auld body a break then bounce back next year and give DCM a good rattle. I am very tempted though:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hang in there L - progress is progress. Not sure if jumping into a 50k is best long term plan though!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hang in there L - progress is progress. Not sure if jumping into a 50k is best long term plan though!

You are right D and I wont be running Donadea but with no target race to focus on this leads to distractions such as Donadea.

Tuesday
    4.5 miles @ 8:47m/m

Thursday
    4.7 miles @ 8:43m/m

Friday
    4.9 miles @ 8:59m/m

Saturday
    5.1 miles @ 9:11m/m

Similar pace as last weeks runs, this week I added some time on the road. On Tuesday and Wednesday I ran 1.4 miles on the road, Friday 3.5 miles and 2.9 miles on Saturday. Even though I iced the Achilles after every run it was a bit tender on Saturday evening but it is probably due to being back running on the road and running 3 days in a row certainly didn't help. The Achilles still needs to be managed and I will be keeping an eye it but I think that I am making progress.

19.2 miles for the week.

Tuesday
    5.1 miles @ 8:23m/m
    Ran all this on the road, Achilles ok

Thursday
    5.5 miles @ 8:06m/m
    1.4 miles on the road the rest on grass.
    Decided to inject a bit of pace into this run all went well till I got back on the road with .7 of a mile left to run and I could feel a bit of a pull in my lower calf/Achilles area. I iced it straight after the run and it is grand this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭healy1835

Softly softly catchy monkey.....I'd say it's hard not to get frustrated but as you said, you're making progress. Keep it going now....

Saturday
    5 miles @ 9:03m/m
    A recovery run after Thursdays speedy:) run, 3.6 miles on grass

Sunday
    6.2 miles @8:16m/m
    More of the same only a bit further and a bit quicker.

21.8 miles for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you making your way back L!

healy1835 wrote: »
    Softly softly catchy monkey.....I'd say it's hard not to get frustrated but as you said, you're making progress. Keep it going now....
    annapr wrote: »
    Good to see you making your way back L!

Progress is slow but that is deliberate as I am no rush. The plan is to build up a good base over the coming months and get back to consistently running 30/40 miles per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Murph_D wrote: »
    jake1970 wrote: »
    You are right D and I wont be running Donadea but with no target race to focus on this leads to distractions such as Donadea.
    Progress is slow but that is deliberate as I am no rush. The plan is to build up a good base over the coming months and get back to consistently running 30/40 miles per week.

All perfect reasons to go for Donadea.:D
    You are doing the right thing regarding your recovery, but with no DCM in the plan, now is the perfect time to build towards Donadea. There is no interruption along the way and you have lots of time to get the perfect training done.. . . just my opinion though!!!:D

• Advertisement

That sounds like an extremely sensible option - Donadea will be there in future years, it's not going anywhere - if we say 'respect the distance' when we talk about the marathon 50K demands even more respect.

Advertisement