Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log on the Run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ah for feck sake I was looking for first name by your log, it's 19.43 to by the way. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

tang1 wrote: »
    Ah for feck sake I was looking for first name by your log, it's 19.43 to by the way. Very well done.

haha, thanks tang you still found me though. I rounded up the time to 19:44 but if you say to take 19:43 who am I to argue.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Nice run Jake. you sure are getting back in the zone. Be interested in your account of the race.

Sunday 20th of march: Clongowes 5k

The plan for this race was to go out hard and hang on for dear life. The target was to get as close to 20 mins as was possible. I met my friend M at the start and she said that she was also targeting 20 mins so we decided to run together even though there was a 20 min pacer. After a 10 min delay we were off, we quickly settled into a nice hard pace that was a bit faster than target pace which left me wondering would I be able to stick this till the end. The first mile ticked off at 6:15, happy with that 10 secs up on target. We turned off the main road and down a side road and M said that the next mile was the flattest part of the course so the plan was to try and keep the pace consistent and try and stay ahead of target pace and we did, second mile was 6:21. At the start of mile 3 things took a turn, all of a sudden I started to feel unwell, I got very hot, my head was pounding and I felt like puking. Thankfully this feeling passed quickly, I had a quick look at the watch and I was happy to see that we were still ahead of target pace. At this stage we were now coming back on to the main road and up to the main gates of Clongowes College, there was a bit of a incline here and the legs were really hurting, M pulled ahead by a few meters and it was a gap that remained till the finish. Once we reached the main gates there was approx 500 meters to go and its a dead straight run to the finish line. M was still the few meters ahead of me and I tried in vain to catch her but the effort I put in to try and catch her kept me honest till the end. The last mile and a bit was 6:18(50 secs).
    I was quiet happy with this result, its not exactly were I thought I would be after DCM but it does show that I am slowly getting back to my previous fitness levels.

Wednesday
    6.2 miles with 6X12 secs hills followed by 6x100m strides.

Thursday
    8.0 miles @ 7:59m/m endurance run
    pace for endurance runs is from 7:40-8:30m/m

Saturday
    7.0 miles with 3x8 mins @ LT pace/ 3 mins recovery
    LT pace is 6:40-6:50m/m
    pace for splits
    6:40
    6:35
    7:04:(

Sunday
    9 miles @ 8:11m/m endurance run

30.2 miles for the week

This week is the first week of 10k training with the target race being Dunshaughlin in June. I am using a plan taken from Pete Pfitzingers book Faster Road Racing. I have used this plan before and I have PB'd from it, same again please:D
    Just to give a summary of last weeks training.
    The week started very badly, on Sunday evening Mrs jake had an altercation with a flight of stairs and she broke her collarbone:eek:. Unfortunately for her and me:) she is going to be laid up for the foreseeable future which is really going to test my time management skills.
    So getting back to the training, I have to say that apart from Wednesdays run it which was grand I found the rest of the runs quite tough. Maybe Sundays 5k race was still in the legs but the training was tougher than I thought it should have been. As for the LT intervals on Saturday, it didnt really go to well. While the first 2 intervals were on target I was really struggling on the 2nd one(it was a bit faster) and that carried on to the 3rd interval where I had nothing left in the legs and I was going to abandon it but I decided to keep going and I was glad I did because if I had given up completely I would have been very disappointed with myself. I am probably running the LT intervals to fast for my current fitness and I will aim for the slower end of the LT pace(6:50) this week and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

:eek: poor Mrs. Jake, hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Nice training by the way, I'm jealous of the work you're putting into those sessions.

Neady83 wrote: »
    :eek: poor Mrs. Jake, hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Nice training by the way, I'm jealous of the work you're putting into those sessions.

I hope Mrs jake makes a very speedy recovery too:).

There is some serious training going on in your log Neady, fair play to you. Best of luck with your adventures in the coming year.

Tuesday
    6.0 miles with 2 sets of 4 x 200m@ 800m - 1 mile pace, 4 mins recovery between sets.
    1st set: 44, 46, 42, 43 secs
    2nd set:43, 43, 44, 47 secs
    By the end of this run both my calves for feeling a bit tight. Even though I have been foam rolling regularly I think its time to reacquaint the calves to the rolling pin again:eek:

Thursday
    8.0 miles @ 8:02 m/m endurance run.
    splits: 8:11, 8:15, 8:09, 8:05, 8:08, 8:08, 7:41, 7:40
    Not much to say about this only that it was a nice enjoyable run on what was a lovely evening for running.

Saturday
    8 miles with 2x10 mins and 1x8 mins @ LT pace/ 3 mins recovery
    pace for splits
    6:43
    6:44
    6:42
    I am a lot happier with this LT session when compared to last weeks. While the reps were tough I managed to keep the pace fairly even throughout but I was very grateful of the 3 min recoveries.

Sunday
    10 miles @ 8:19 m/m endurance run.
    Ideally I would take a rest day after a session day but at the moment I am finding it very hard to get the time to get my runs in so I had no choice but to do this today. The legs were tired after yesterdays session and this run was a bit of a slog. A few little niggles are starting to appear which is probably down to the greater intensity in my training.

Next week I have the K-club 10k so I will probably drop this weeks VO2 max session and run the 10k at LT pace and continue with the plan as normal.

32 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Just caught up on this log - best of luck in the 10 k next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

spaceylou wrote: »
    Just caught up on this log - best of luck in the 10 k next week

+1 to that, run well man.

Tuesday
    9 miles @ 8:08m/m endurance run
    After a rest day Monday I am happy to report less niggles today.

Wednesday
    7 miles with 6X12 secs hills followed by 6x100m strides.
    Really enjoying these type of workouts.

I hope to sneak in a short recovery run on Friday before the 10k on Saturday and its then that I will decide on a plan for the 10k. Initially I was going to run it as at Lt pace but now I think I might race it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

jake1970 wrote: »
    I hope to sneak in a short recovery run on Friday before the 10k on Saturday and its then that I will decide on a plan for the 10k. Initially I was going to run it as at Lt pace but now I think I might race it.

Go for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck. What sort of shape do you think you're in?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of luck. What sort of shape do you think you're in?

After my recent 5k result(19:44) I am actually in better shape than I thought I was and if I race the 10k, which I probably will do, I would be happy with a sub 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Best of luck Jake. The comeback continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck Saturday Jake, I think you are a racer, so not much chance
    of a Tempo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Have a great run on Saturday Jake, Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Wishing you a great race tomorrow Jake, hope it's enjoyable and PB friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Good luck Jake :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck hope race goes well.

Thanks for all the good wishes and its not even a target race, I am only running this because of the cake :)

Friday
    3.1 miles @ 9:00 recovery run.
    A nice easy run this morning with 4x100m strides thrown in just to keep the legs ticking over.

I had considered running the 10k tomorrow as a tempo run but I will be racing it now. It is a nice fast course and it is ideal for anyone who is training for a PB but I dont think I am in PB shape yet.

There are a lot of boardies racing this weekend so best of luck to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Have a good one tomorrow. Run hard and let the time take care of itself.....and of course, ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow Jake

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Have a good one tomorrow. Run hard and let the time take care of itself.....and of course, ENJOY!!!
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Jake

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck, you've been getting a bit of consistency going.

What's your 10k pb?

TbL

Best of luck, you've been getting a bit of consistency going.

What's your 10k pb?

TbL

Thanks TbL, my PB is 40:35 from July last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jake1970 wrote: »
    Thanks TbL, my PB is 40:35 from July last year.

Yea I saw that from you're first post but thought you might have lowered it.

You're 5k time would suggest that's soft enough ;)

Although I've a couple of years on you it's good to see another auld lad pushing on for PB's.

I'm trying to learn to embrace the hurt of the shorter stuff :)

Enjoy it

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Best of luck Jake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well??

Advertisement