Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Log on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

100% recommend the race.

It is flat enough. A slight climb out and a slight decline back makes for a fast finish.

Sitting in a pub eating pizza after a race was a highlight :)

Thanks for that PM.

Thursday
    6 miles @ 7:46 m/m
    The legs were still weary from Sunday's race, it seems to be taken me longer than normal to recover.

Saturday
    3 miles @ 8:04 m/m
    With little Miss jake's first communion on in the afternoon I didn't think I would get out for a run on Saturday but with the girls at the hairdressers and jake jr at gaa training that gave me the chance to get a short run in.

Sunday
    5 miles @ 8:36 m/m
    A late evening run in the lashing rain and after a meh start it turned out to be an enjoyable run.

I knew that running this week would be hit and miss with real life stuff:( getting in the way. 10k training will resume this week.
    26 miles for the week

Monday
    7.7 miles @ 8:22 m/m general aerobic run with 8 x 100m strides.
    This was supposed to 9 miles but 7.7 miles is all I had time for, pace wise it was a bit on the quick side.

Tuesday
    5.3 miles @ 9:23 m/m recovery.
    A late evening run along the canal.

Wednesday
    9 miles @ 7:53 m/m endurance run.
    For the first time in weeks the legs felt great and this made for a quite enjoyable run.
    Physio booked Thursday evening just for some general maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

denis b wrote: »
    Will do and sure I'd run through every hedge between town and Clonee for the PROMISED pizza alone :D

just confirming - there will be pizza :p

Friday
    Edenderry AC 5k @ 6:25 m/m 20:02 chip time.
    So I dropped the planned VO2max session in favour of this 5k. I have been struggling with maintaining effort on my speed sessions lately so I was thinking that a 5k would be of more benefit to me effort wise. While my time is nothing to get excited about I was happy with the effort put into the race on what was a very undulating course. Add to this a visit to the physio for a deep tissue massage on Thursday night and a tough 9 miles on Wednesday so I would consider the race to have been a good workout.
    6 miles including warm up and cool down.

Sunday
    11.3 miles @ 8:11 m/m endurance run.
    This was hard work mainly due to a combination of Friday's race still in the legs, the heat and the alcohol consumed the night before.

39.3 miles for the week.

• Advertisement

Monday
    4.6 miles @ 9:26 m/m recovery.
    The legs didn't feel great after the weekends running so I opted for a recovery run.

Tuesday
    7 miles general aerobic run including 2 sets of 4 x 150m strides with 250m recovery and 4 mins between sets. The legs felt a lot fresher today after yesterdays recovery run. I didn't get out till midday for this run and it was so hot, I need to organise my time better and get out earlier in the morning when its a bit cooler.

Wednesday
    7.3 miles @ 8:39 m/m general aerobic run.
    Another midday run:( while it was hot again it was a nice leisurely run along side the canal with most of it on gravel or grass path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Really great training going on, looks like you'll be back to your best soon
    have you decided on weather doing DCM this year.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Really great training going on, looks like you'll be back to your best soon
    have you decided on weather doing DCM this year.

Thanks G. Whats the latest on the calf ?

As for DCM it looks like I will more than likely be running it, the one lingering doubt I have about doing it is that I have a wedding three days before it and there will be alcohol consumed. I suppose I could consider it as a form of carb loading:).

jake1970 wrote: »
    Thanks G. Whats the latest on the calf ?

As for DCM it looks like I will more than likely be running it, the one lingering doubt I have about doing it is that I have a wedding three days before it and there will be alcohol consumed. I suppose I could consider it as a form of carb loading:).

3 days loads of time to get over it, and defiantly carb loading. Calf still bit
    tight and Achilles acting up a bit, but will work on it right up till Monday and
    get reacquainted with running again and hope all holds together:)

Friday
    3.1 miles @ 9:12 m/m recovery

Saturday
    The plan called for a 5k tune up race, so it was off to Naas Saturday morning for my local Parkrun. Got there with plenty of time to spare, did a warm up and then lined up near the front and without delay we were off. The start at Naas is on a long decline so we went out fairly fast, I was running along side the leading lady and I was feeling good. Near the end of the first mile and the route starts to rise up a small hill, my watch beeps for the first mile 6:07and im still along side the leading lady. Shortly after we crest the small hill and the leading lady starts to pull away, we are running down a long incline now and I am not able to stick with her, the pace of the opening mile was a bit hot and I didnt think I would be able to maintain it till the end. I would say that all of the 2nd mile is on a slight decline and even considering that I could feel that the pace has slowed and I finish the 2nd mile in 6:18. By now another runner has joined and we swap positions over the half mile but then when we hit the hill for the 2nd time he drops of the pace and I open a gap on him. At the stage I starting to feel the pace and the heat I know my breathing is getting heavy. In the distance I can see the finish line and im wishing this was over so its time to dig deep and I pick up the pace a little to finish the 3rd mile in 6:26. There is a young lad just ahead of me who seems to be slowing and I try in to catch him but when he hears me behind him he speeds up and I fail to catch him. Last bit 1:02.
    My finishing time is 19:53 which is a new Parkrun PB. I was happy enough with the result as I find Naas to be a tough enough course, running up that small incline twice seems to take it out of me, but I do need to work on my pacing.
    6.1 miles including warm up and cool down.

Sunday
    9 miles @ 7:57 m/m endurance run.
    I was expecting this to be a bit of a slog after the previous days Parkrun but it went well. I started out slow and picked up the pace over the 2nd half of the run.

37 miles for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Nice 5k Jake, you're going well.

TbL

Well done on PB, 5k hard to pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on pb Jake

Monday
    6 miles @ 8:33m/m general aerobic with 8x100m strides

Tuesday
    4 miles @ 9:19 m/m recovery

Wednesday
    8.2 miles Vo2max session, 4 x 800m with 2.5 mins recovery and 2 x 600m with 2 mins recovery all reps @ 5k pace(6:16)
    paces for each rep
    6:12
    6:06
    6:06
    6:02
    6:29
    6:24
    This started off well but finished badly. I really over done it on rep 4 and I had nothing left in the legs for the final 2 reps. Another less than perfect session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats on 5km parkrun pb. Bringing some nice form to the 10km's.

denis b wrote: »
    Congrats on 5km parkrun pb. Bringing some nice form to the 10km's.

Thanks denis.
    I have St Coca's 5k in Kilcock in 2 weeks time and Clonee 10k 6 days later. If I hit a low 19 mins in Kilcock, that should set me up nicely for an attempt at a PB in Clonee. I am a bit concerned with the 2 races being so close together but I usually recover fairly quickly after 5ks.

Friday
    4.5 miles @ 9:11 m/m recovery.

Saturday
    7 miles @ 7:57 m/m endurance run

29.7 miles for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I shall see you at St Cocas.

tang1 wrote: »
    I shall see you at St Cocas.

Hopefully I will see you before or after the race because I wont see you during it especially if you bring your current 5k form on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Would love to do it myself but I'm away. Is it a fast course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Would love to do it myself but I'm away. Is it a fast course?

Yip, on par with the Bob Heffernan route I'd say. First mile is practically downhill.

tang1 wrote: »
    Yip, on par with the Bob Heffernan route I'd say. First mile is practically downhill.

Near the end of the 2nd there is a bit of a climb up the flyover but after that it is flat or slightly downhill till the finish. Also a high standard of club runners there which helps a lot when you are chasing a PB.

Monday
    6 miles @ 8:02 m/m with 4 x 100m and 1 mile @ 10k race pace.
    Right from the off I could tell that the legs weren't up for this which resulted in a 6:51 :( for the 1 mile @ 10k pace. My last 10k race the average pace was 6:38 and I would like to think that I have gotten even quicker than that.

Tuesday
    5 miles @ 9:16 m/m recovery
    Another sluggish run.
    I couldn't really work out why my legs were so weary on these 2 runs after all this was supposed to be my last week of 10k training before Dunshaughlin . The best reason I could come up with was that I had been neglecting my stretching and the foam roller.

Wednesday
    5 miles @ 9:09 m/m recovery

Thursday
    7 miles @ 8:24 m/m general aerobic with 6 x 100m strides.

These 2 runs went well, there was a bit of zip back in the legs maybe the stretching and foam rolling done the trick.

So this week I was supposed to run Dunshaughlin 10k but that got knocked on the head because I am heading to Limerick on a stag weekend in the morning. I am bringing my running gear with me but in all probability I wont run again till Monday.

Remember doing similar session before 5 k PB and struggled for
    1 mile at about 7.10 and tought no way would hit 6.45- 6.50 but
    I did, your mind probably in taper mode, amazing adrenaline on
    race day that is main event. Don't think you've been lacking on
    Racing front so no bother best of luck.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Remember doing similar session before 5 k PB and struggled for
    1 mile at about 7.10 and tought no way would hit 6.45- 6.50 but
    I did, your mind probably in taper mode, amazing adrenaline on
    race day that is main event. Don't think you've been lacking on
    Racing front so no bother best of luck.

At the start of the week I was thankful that I wasn't racing this weekend and today I was raging that I couldn't race this weekend:)
    How are your injuries G ? I hope you are on the mend.

Off for 7-8 weeks, will get on bike and into Gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Surely you could work the race into your stag weekend plans?? What kind of a fair weather runner are ya? :p

annapr wrote: »
    Surely you could work the race into your stag weekend plans?? What kind of a fair weather runner are ya? :p

Harsh but true:)

Monday
    5.4 miles @ 8:22 m/m

Tuesday
    4 miles @ 9:05 m/m

Thursday
    4 miles @ 8:54 m/m with 4 x 100m strides

It has been a quite week in the lead up to St Coca's 5k in kilcock later this evening. The plan will be to go out hard, the target is low 19 mins but a PB(currently 19:06) would be nice.

• Advertisement

good Luck tonight Jake, have a good one.

Advertisement