Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Log on the Run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

What 10 mile race are you running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Kennyg71 wrote: »

If you could run as fast as you read Kennyg :)...

The Roscommon Harriers 10m, it says it in his post

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

If you could run as fast as you read Kennyg :)...

The Roscommon Harriers 10m, it says it in his post

TbL

I think he means the one on Monday

It is in Edenderry @ 12pm G, registration is on Pop Up Races and according to facebook you can also register on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jake1970 wrote: »

It is in Edenderry @ 12pm G, registration is on Pop Up Races and according to facebook you can also register on the day.

Doh, apologies Kennyg, I'm obviously slower on the pick up than I am over 5k :)

Best of luck with it Jake

TbL

Yeah Mondays one, best luck. Will be good jump off point, hope head clears in time.

Thursday
    5.3 miles @ 7:50m/m

Sunday
    4.6 miles @ 8:56m/m with 4x110m strides

Finished off the week with a couple of easy runs before I start into a new training cycle.

20.6 miles for the week

I have had a busy couple of weeks and my log has suffered because of it, so it is time for an update.

Monday 17th of April

Edenderry 10 mile: 1:08:16
    Roscommon 10 mile race is my new target race so I decided to kick off this new training cycle with a 10 mile race. Unfortunately as it is now 2 weeks since the race I am a struggling to remember much detail about the race but I do remember that after the race I was very happy with how I had raced it.
    Splits:
    6:53
    6:50
    6:53
    6:55
    6:48
    6:56
    6:45
    6:51
    6:48
    6:57
    That was my first ever 10 mile so it was a PB:) and that now gives me a time to chase in Roscommon.
    11.8 miles including warm up.

Tuesday
    5 miles @ 9:09m/m Recovery
    Legs were in bits after the race the previous day so a nice gentle recovery run was called for.

Thursday
    6 miles @ 8:17m/m
    Legs were still a little stiff so I threw in 6x100m strides.

Saturday
    8.6 miles @ 7:53m/m endurance

31.4 miles for the week

Monday 24th of April
    7 miles @ 8:17m/m with 6x12 secs hills followed by 6x100m strides
    Got out late in the evening for what was a decent workout.

Wednesday
    2 miles abandoned run.
    Straight from the off I could feel a slight tightness in my knee but I thought I would be able to run it off that it was only a bit of stiffness but after 2 miles I had to abandon the run due to the pain.

Friday
    5 miles @ 7:58m/m
    My knee felt a little stiff on Thursday and by Friday it felt grand. I dropped jake jr to Gaa training and decided that instead of hanging around for him that I might as well go for a run. 2.5 miles into the run and the pain reappears again so I had to turn around and run the 2.5 mile back in some discomfort.

14 miles for the week:(

Tuesday
    Knee update: Went to Physio today and thankfully the prognosis is not to bad. The problem with my knee is caused by a muscle imbalance that is knocking my tracking off. This means that I have to work on strenghtening the muscles just above the knee. The good news is that I can keep running but only short runs and no speed work for 2 weeks. So that obviously will have a major impact on training for Roscommon as I will have missed 3 weeks training right at the start of this training cycle and I probably shouldnt jump straight back into the plan after injury.

So the main focus now is to get back running injury free and when I do I will decide then what to do next training wise. I was thinking that I might start marathon training earlier this year than I normally do as I usually follow a 12 week plan for the marathon, maybe I will do the P&D 18 week plan.
    As regards Roscommon I will probably run it anyway if fit. Unfortunately I will miss the Terenure 5 mile race and probably a few more that I had pencilled in for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Ah damn that's a pity! Hopefully you'll get back at it stronger and be rearing to go for the marathon cycle.

Great result in 10mile, nice marker for goal race. Hate them pesky imbalances, but worth putting right, hopefully rehab goes smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Sorry to hear about the setback but that is a pretty good prognosis, all things considered. Cant believe we are edging so close to pre-marathon training all ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats on the pb bummer on the injury hopefully it will be sorted soon. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Get the knee sorted first, and worry about the races later. I can vouch for the P+D 18 week plan. The first couple of weeks are handy enough on the up to 55 plan to ease into. Funnily enough I'm looking at the 12 week plan this time round.

Ah damn that's a pity! Hopefully you'll get back at it stronger and be rearing to go for the marathon cycle.
    Great result in 10mile, nice marker for goal race. Hate them pesky imbalances, but worth putting right, hopefully rehab goes smoothly.
    denis b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the setback but that is a pretty good prognosis, all things considered. Cant believe we are edging so close to pre-marathon training all ready.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats on the pb bummer on the injury hopefully it will be sorted soon. :)

I am pretty confident of making a quick recovery but I will definitely take as much time as is necessary to get back fit. About 2 years ago the physio said to me during a routine visit that the muscles above the knee were weak and he gave me excercises to do back then and he said that if didnt strengten the muscles I would have problems with my knees in the future. I did them for about a week , how right he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Damn bodies! Sounds like things are well under control anyway. Any cross training opportunities?

Get the knee sorted first, and worry about the races later. I can vouch for the P+D 18 week plan. The first couple of weeks are handy enough on the up to 55 plan to ease into. Funnily enough I'm looking at the 12 week plan this time round.

I have done the P&D 12 week plan twice now and it has served me well. 18 weeks just seems like a long time but maybe it would be the best way to go this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Do the rehab and strengthen the issue L, don't neglect it. The Mullingar 10 is a week after Roscommon and gives you more time to target that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear that L, fingers crossed rehab goes well. Fwiw it's worth I was able to run pretty much all the time through rehabbing my own knee knack and it's long since behind me now. Just had to do the exercises as prescribed so hopefully doing similar sorts you out.

Singer wrote: »
    Damn bodies! Sounds like things are well under control anyway. Any cross training opportunities?

The physio said I can still do short slow runs and to slowly up the mileage over the next few weeks but absolutely no speed work or long distances for at least 2 weeks, I am happy enough with that. I might dig out my bike next week and go for a cycle but I am dont have a great love of cycling. I could run for 2 hours no problem but any length of time on a bike and I get bored.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Do the rehab and strengthen the issue L, don't neglect it. The Mullingar 10 is a week after Roscommon and gives you more time to target that.

Thanks for the heads up on Mullingar B but Mrs jake has had her say and its Roscommon or nothing, I have to keep on her good side because I havent told her about DCM yet.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that L, fingers crossed rehab goes well. Fwiw it's worth I was able to run pretty much all the time through rehabbing my own knee knack and it's long since behind me now. Just had to do the exercises as prescribed so hopefully doing similar sorts you out.

Its good to hear that diego. Do you still have to do the exercises ? My physio recommends that even when I get back fully fit that I should still do the exercises(mainly squats) every second day.

Its good to hear that diego. Do you still have to do the exercises ? My physio recommends that even when I get back fully fit that I should still do the exercises(mainly squats) every second day.

I don't but I don't do anything like the volume you do, suspect if I was running north of 40-45 miles (which the max mileage I have ever hit during marathon training things would start to creak a bit more for me. It was suggested to me that during an off phase you'd maybe do a phase of 3 days a week at some S&C work but then during heavy training you'd probably drop back to once a week. Like anything your body should adapt so it's just supporting work really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sorry to hear about the injury Jake, you've a great attitude though. Thankfully you can still run and all the rehab will make you stronger and faster in the long run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the recovery L, sorry about your injury!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to hear about the injury Jake, recover well.

4 slow runs for 11.2 miles for the week:(
    Rehab seems to be progressing ok, my longest run this week was 3.1 miles and my knee felt ok. Last week my knee would tighten up after 2 miles so I count that as progress. The plan for the coming week is to run every second day and slowly increase the mileage with all runs at recovery pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck with the knee, L... hopefully a quick recovery. Sorry you will miss Terenure this year.

Definitely is progress, keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Stick with the plan, as they say :)

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck with the knee, L... hopefully a quick recovery. Sorry you will miss Terenure this year.

Thanks A, great result at the parkrun on Saturday. I am disappointed to missing Terenure, its a great race and I would of being hoping for a PB there.
    Definitely is progress, keep it up!

Hopefully I keep progressing and that means that I can get back to some serious running soon
    Singer wrote: »
    Stick with the plan, as they say

Good advice there B :)

16.5 miles over 4 runs, longest run 5 miles.
    The pace of the runs has increased from recovery to steady pace and the pain in my knee has gone from a sharpe pain to a dull ache so I suppose I am making progress albeit slowly. Even though the physio said that I could keep running I am going to take the week off from running and just concentrate on getting the rehab done, I do feel that running is slowing down the recovery process.

• Advertisement

I do feel that running is slowing down the recovery process.

Fair play and a good longer term investment. Amazing what a week can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I do feel that running is slowing down the recovery process.

That's a conclusion best come to yourself isn't it? If the physio said no running you'd be going mad! Good decision, hopefully you see higher gains from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very sensible L, hopefully the week off will do the trick

Good call L, for what it's worth it should help a lot to let any inflammation running is causing ease more. That is good progress you are making, sharp knee pain is no fun.
    Amazing what some simple exercises can do, can give post what you are doing anyways?

In my own case it was a lot of one legged stuff and then progression with resistance band exercises as it moved on. I remember thinking at the start how does such small things make a difference but it did.

Not an easy call to make but as he others have said, hopefully a long term investment.

Make the most of any spare time you have and enjoy doing some fun things :)

Fair play and a good longer term investment. Amazing what a week can do.
    That's a conclusion best come to yourself isn't it? If the physio said no running you'd be going mad! Good decision, hopefully you see higher gains from it.
    annapr wrote: »
    Very sensible L, hopefully the week off will do the trick

Hopefully the week off will help speed up the recovery process, if I dont see a noticeable improvement after the week I might make a return visit to the physio.
    Good call L, for what it's worth it should help a lot to let any inflammation running is causing ease more. That is good progress you are making, sharp knee pain is no fun.
    Amazing what some simple exercises can do, can give post what you are doing anyways?

In my own case it was a lot of one legged stuff and then progression with resistance band exercises as it moved on. I remember thinking at the start how does such small things make a difference but it did.

I started off with 3x12 squats and that progressed to twice a day now its up to 4x12 squats twice a day and from tomorrow I will using the resistance band. I am also doing straight leg lifts 3x10.
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Not an easy call to make but as he others have said, hopefully a long term investment.

Make the most of any spare time you have and enjoy doing some fun things

Hopefully so Neady. All my spare time at the moment is going into the vegetable garden, I just dont have any time left for fun things.:)

Sounds good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up - good luck with the knee, good call to take more rest. Never does any harm. Pity about Terenure but missing out on the odd race is all part of the game! Speedy recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Good luck with the recovery Jake, it sounds like you're taking a sensible approach to it.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just catching up - good luck with the knee, good call to take more rest. Never does any harm. Pity about Terenure but missing out on the odd race is all part of the game! Speedy recovery!

Thanks D. I was disappointed to miss Terenure and I will miss the Bob heffernan 5k next week, 2 races that I was looking forward too. But there are plenty of races out there that I can run once I am back fit again.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the recovery Jake, it sounds like you're taking a sensible approach to it.

Thanks Charts, I am actually surprisingly relaxed about it so far but I dont know how much longer that will last. How is your injury? hopefully you have recovered.

So I took 8 days off from running in the hope that it would speed up the recovery process as it seemed to bit taking longer than anticipated. I am happy to report that knee is very much improved.
    On the week ending 28th of May I ran 14 miles over 3 runs with a longest run of 5 miles, all at steady pace.
    Last week I ran 23 miles over 4 runs with a longest run of 8 miles all at steady pace except for the day after the 8 mile run which was at recovery pace.
    This week is more of the same but I will include some strides on one of the runs and I hope to get in a long run of 10 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

So I took 8 days off from running in the hope that it would speed up the recovery process as it seemed to bit taking longer than anticipated. I am happy to report that knee is very much improved.
    On the week ending 28th of May I ran 14 miles over 3 runs with a longest run of 5 miles, all at steady pace.
    Last week I ran 23 miles over 4 runs with a longest run of 8 miles all at steady pace except for the day after the 8 mile run which was at recovery pace.
    This week is more of the same but I will include some strides on one of the runs and I hope to get in a long run of 10 miles.

Delighted to hear knee has improved greatly L. Very sensible and controlled return, it will stand to you in the long term.

Welcome back L. That didn't take long. Will be interesting to see how the strides go.

Younganne wrote: »
    Delighted to hear knee has improved greatly L. Very sensible and controlled return, it will stand to you in the long term.

Thanks A, this sensible and controlled return is all about the last Sunday in October.
    Welcome back L. That didn't take long. Will be interesting to see how the strides go.

Thanks D. I am looking forward to doing some speed work as its 6 weeks since I have done any and I now feel that I have lost a lot of my pace.

Tuesday
    6.4 miles @ 8:20m/m
    Jake jr had soccer training so I dropped him off and went for a run. I ran a loop of the Staplestown half/full marathon course, its quite challenging with a nice hill and a long drag.

Wednesday
    4 miles @ 9:21m/m recovery

Friday
    6.8 miles @ 8:14m/m with 6x100m strides
    Jake jr had GAA training tonight so after I dropped him off I headed out along the canal to Robertstown and back. I done the strides with 1.5 miles to go and to be honest they werent up to much as my legs were quite tired.

Sunday
    10 miles @ 8:48m/m
    This was a slog right from the off as once again my legs felt tired, I am not sure of the reason for the tired legs maybe I am doing too much too soon as I had 6 weeks of little or no running. Its something that I will keep an eye on.

27.2 miles for the week.

Moving is the right direction Jake, delighted to see you getting back to it :) It was worth taking a break to let the knee recovery fully.

Monday
    4.2 miles @ 9:18m/m recovery
    My legs were in bits after yesterdays run, so this started out as a slow shuffle but after the first mile the legs loosened out but I kept the pace very easy. I only ran 10 miles yesterday but today my legs felt like I had ran a marathon. Serious loss of fitness.

Tuesday
    7.2 miles @ 8:23m/m
    After yesterdays recovery run the legs felt better but they still tired over the last 2 miles.

Thursday
    7 miles @ 8:12m/m with 8x100m strides
    The strides seemed to have helped wake the legs up out of their slumber and I finished this run strong. I had a feed of fresh strawberries from the garden straight after this run to help aid recovery :) I dont know if there is any science to back this up but they were delicious.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Moving is the right direction Jake, delighted to see you getting back to it :) It was worth taking a break to let the knee recovery fully.

It was only a short break but I feel like I lost a lot of fitness and I am no where near where I would like to be fitness wise with training due to start for DCM on the Monday week. I hope you are taking it easy and recovering well after your exploits over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Monday
    4.2 miles @ 9:18m/m recovery
    My legs were in bits after yesterdays run, so this started out as a slow shuffle but after the first mile the legs loosened out but I kept the pace very easy. I only ran 10 miles yesterday but today my legs felt like I had ran a marathon. Serious loss of fitness.

Tuesday
    7.2 miles @ 8:23m/m
    After yesterdays recovery run the legs felt better but they still tired over the last 2 miles.

Thursday
    7 miles @ 8:12m/m with 8x100m strides
    The strides seemed to have helped wake the legs up out of their slumber and I finished this run strong. I had a feed of fresh strawberries from the garden straight after this run to help aid recovery :) I dont know if there is any science to back this up but they were delicious.

I share your pain on this one L. Sometimes the Sunday morning club runs have me like that :pac: Recovery's a gradual thing though, and it seems to be coming along nicely for you overall (with a healthy diet to boot!)

Advertisement