Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leavin Ireland

Options
  • 25-02-2016 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I live with two of my room mates and I will be leaving Ireland soon. Both my roommates will still stay in Ireland. The electric ireland bill is on my name and it is paid through direct debit. My question is do I have to close my account? Can the bill be put in their name so they can pay? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Shang tsung,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The best thing to do would be to close your own account when leaving so that your room-mates can open an account in their own name. You can actually do this entirely online now - see here.

Just make sure you have the following information so that you can close your account:
    • Final meter reading(s). If you're not sure how to get this, see here
    • Your MPRN (you can find this on any bill)
    • Your account number
    • Name(s) and phone number(s) for the new occupant(s)
    • Your forwarding address
    Please do let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shang tsung

thanks for the reply david.

just wanted to ask on the link you sent it asks for a forwarding address, care to explain about that. i will be moving abroad so i dont understand how that will work. also can i call electric ireland to cancel my account too? thanks for the help again. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Shang tsung,
    just wanted to ask on the link you sent it asks for a forwarding address

This is just so that we have an address on file for any future correspondence, and it is where we would send on your final bill. If this is not practical, we can leave the forwarding address as the current property address. If you are signed up to online billing you would receive a notification for your final bill by email and be able to view it online.
    also can i call electric ireland to cancel my account too? thanks for the help

You can of course; the number to call is 1850 372 372 or +353 1 8529534 (this is the international number). We can also close your account here on Boards if you send us on all the relevant details by private message.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

if I close my account before my roommate opens his will there be any problem in the electricity of the apartment ie it wont be shut off ? and do i need to close the direct debit from the bank as well or just closing my account will be sufficient? when making the final bill will it be deducted from my account or my roommates? thanks again..sorry for the queries

if I close my account before my roommate opens his will there be any problem in the electricity of the apartment ie it wont be shut off ? and do i need to close the direct debit from the bank as well or just closing my account will be sufficient? when making the final bill will it be deducted from my account or my roommates? thanks again..sorry for the queries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again Shang tsung,

No problem at all - it's what we are here for. :)

A disconnection of electricity supply would not occur if there is only a short period of time between when you close your Electric Ireland account and when your room-mate opens his electricity account. The most important thing is that he takes note of the meter-reading on the day you leave (the same meter-reading that you will be taking for your account closure) so that he has the correct point from which to be billed.

Direct debit for your final bill can only be deducted from your bank account, as your bank details would be the only ones associated with your Electric Ireland account. Your room-mate would not receive a bill until after they register, and it would only be for consumption after you leave.

Nothing past your final bill will be deducted from your bank account, as you would not be a billing customer any longer once you close your Electric Ireland account.

If you are closing your bank account in Ireland before you leave the country, however, your direct debit may not be active on the date that your final Electric Ireland bill is due for collection, so you could pay your final Electric Ireland bill manually on our website in this case - all you need is your account number and bank card details. Ensure to make this payment as soon as you receive the bill, if possible, to prevent automated request for the direct debit.

If you do not have online billing, you can set it up here on our website. We recommend setting this up before you close your Electric Ireland account if you have not done so, as it is the quickest way of receiving your final bill, and it rules out needing a forwarding postal address for your final bill. When your Electric Ireland account is closed, the online billing will be automatically deactivated also.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

thank you so much una, you have been really helpful. to view the reading can I do that myself or do I need someone there? i live in adelaide square just for your info..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Shang tsung,

No problem at all - happy to help.

The closing meter-reading would need to be taken by yourself, or the landlord/lady or letting company if you cannot access the meter.

ESB Networks do read meters for customers of all electricity suppliers, but these are only for some of the six scheduled bills per customer per year. If a customer needs a bill at any other time, it would be required that they send in a meter-reading themselves.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement