Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit for a dad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

Speedwell wrote: »
    Nope, I live in Sligo as a Stamp 4 "spouse of an Irish citizen". You don't qualify for Surinder Singh as a dual citizen, it turns out; you have to "exercise your treaty rights" in an EU country of which you are NOT a citizen for SS to kick in (for him, anywhere but Ireland and the UK). There are less than a hundred people in the world in this exact position, I am given to understand, lol. I have slightly over a year to go before I am eligible to apply for citizenship here, and then we could consider moving to the UK under EU migration laws if they are still part of the EU, or if they are not part of the EU and allow free movement to Irish citizens. But the fact is we would rather stay in Ireland!

We are currently attempting SS. I am UK/Candian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

But the desicion to refuse was made by a DO at a local Office and your Appeal should have been to D'Olier St so that wouldn't be right.
    Once again alleged incompetence is one of the reasons we have an Ombudsman, and it's really easy to take a case, surely you would if your that sure that there's been this huge cock up in your OHs application

Sweetie, I wish things always worked the way they should work. Of course, if you are the incompetent in question, I've probably already said enough about our case. I'm working, anyway, so we are OK for the present, and the mill of government will grind how it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Zefff wrote: »
    I can't point to any act. That's part of the reason I created this thread. I simply thought that, being the EU citizen, I would be entitled to any EU benefits, but I am learning that isn't the case.

If my Canadian wife who is here on a 90 day entry passport stamp can complete the Habitual Residence Condition, then she may well be eligible for receipt of EU assistance, and that just kind of blows my mind haha.

If you go to the welfare website and search for CB and click on the Operational Guidelines you will see the Irish legislation concerning CB. I'm fairly confident that if it was contrary to EU legislation, someone would have taken a case to Brussels by now

You'll probably succeed; most people who are not Irish and attempt SS through Ireland do, unless there are additional complications. Be aware that you (the EU citizen exercising right of free movement) have to live and work in the "third" country for the necessary amount of time to qualify under SS. I am not so sure that your wife qualifies under habitual residency, if only because you have the intention to live elsewhere after a few months. But best of luck to you both :)

Sweetie, I wish things always worked the way they should work. Of course, if you are the incompetent in question, I've probably already said enough about our case. I'm working, anyway, so we are OK for the present, and the mill of government will grind how it will.

I'm not incompetent. I think your family didn't qualify for a payment you were sure you were entitled to and the easiest thing to ease the disappointment is to label the person who was, after all, just applying the rules(we all accept there must be some rules) incompetent and walk away.
    It's ok, I get that.

• Advertisement

I'm not incompetent. I think your family didn't qualify for a payment you were sure you were entitled to and the easiest thing to ease the disappointment is to label the person who was, after all, just applying the rules(we all accept there must be some rules) incompetent and walk away.
    It's ok, I get that.

Well, you are certainly quick with the assumptions. You happen to be wrong, and your condescension is noted. Is there, then, a rule that someone who holds both UK and Irish citizenship must leave Ireland after six months for exercising UK treaty rights, as the official insisted? Perhaps the applicants you process would be better off if you actually cared about the facts of the case instead. Since that is not your style, I'm not engaging with you again on this subject, unless we are unfortunate enough to cross your path in the future processing of the case.

Best of luck. The more mix up in the gene pool here the better!

Well, you are certainly quick with the assumptions. You happen to be wrong, and your condescension is noted. Perhaps the applicants you process would be better off if you actually cared about the facts of the case instead. Since that is not your style, I'm not engaging with you again on this subject, unless we are unfortunate enough to cross your path in the future processing of the case.

I've never processed an applicant for anything in my life

Well, there is a God after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

You certainly seem to have some sort of vested interest as anytime there's a children's benefit thread you're there posting and questioning father's who claim it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Really? I'd be mightily surprised if a Canadian could receive EU benefits. She doesn't even have her residence card yet, as we will most likely require my tax registration number that I have yet to receive for that application too.

If they are both dependent on you she will still qualify once she has residency however as she is non EU expect regular letters from the department which she will have to keep filling out and returning, probable every 3 months.
    Jayop wrote: »
    It's the biggest joke that I can't go to the post office and pick up our kids child allowance. It should be paid to whomever the parents want.

Should and could but sadly at the moment, still isnt.

Well, there is a God after all.

Ah now it's yourself needs the hug and the glass of wine speedwell

You certainly seem to have some sort of vested interest as anytime there's a children's benefit thread you're there posting and questioning father's who claim it

Maybe I'm just helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

This is a helpful forum. All posts should be constructive and helpful to the OP. Also, as per the forum charter, excessive sarkiness will not be tolerated
    If posters post here who happen to be staff of the Department of Social Protection:
    1. They do NOT have to declare this
    2. They are doing so in a personal capacity
    There are no official Department representatives posting on Boards.ie. There should be no thinly veiled implications that other posters are Department staff.

Also posts in this forum should be constructive and helpful. Condescending, sarcastic, sarky posts are not welcome in this forum.

CJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's ok, I get that.

You don't think it's incompetent for someone who processes these claims to tell an Irish born citizen that they can only stay in the country for six months? Regardless of the claim (I think you need to have paid stamps before being able to claim Irish social) that statement alone reeks of gross incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

First I've heard of that. UK citizens are entitled to live in Ireland without any conditions or restrictions.

That was changed in 2012. All EU nations can now demand a person prove they will not be 'a burden on the recieving' state however they cant actually remove you or punish you, just refuse your applications for permament residency. Ireland is actually easier than a lot of other places when it comes to obtaining residency.
    I'm interested as to where you see EU law being breached by the Dept of Social Protection
    If you could point is to the Act you are referring to then it would be helpful

We have been down this road before and it was all spelt out for you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98427430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Well, you are certainly quick with the assumptions. You happen to be wrong, and your condescension is noted. Is there, then, a rule that someone who holds both UK and Irish citizenship must leave Ireland after six months for exercising UK treaty rights, as the official insisted? Perhaps the applicants you process would be better off if you actually cared about the facts of the case instead. Since that is not your style, I'm not engaging with you again on this subject, unless we are unfortunate enough to cross your path in the future processing of the case.

I'm a British citizen living in Ireland and was also told to get a job or go back to the UK. It's pretty unlikely speedwell's husband and I saw the same person in sw!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

esforum wrote: »
    That was changed in 2012. All EU nations can now demand a person prove they will not be 'a burden on the recieving' state however they cant actually remove you or punish you, just refuse your applications for permament residency. Ireland is actually easier than a lot of other places when it comes to obtaining residency.

I showed you the EU findings in relation to this before. In Irish law its a breach of the equality act on 2 of the 9 grounds; marital status and gender. Theres currently a number of complaints with the quality board but they take years.

Despite my obvious interest in receiving the Child Benefit, I've been wondering all along wether it might be in our best interest to avoid any kind of assistance whatsoever, effectively minimizing our risk of being considered a "burden", especially since we're going SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm a British citizen living in Ireland and was also told to get a job or go back to the UK. It's pretty unlikely speedwell's husband and I saw the same person in sw!

It's actually the same in the uk ,

When I lived in the uk I had to attend the local job center to get my official tax number /social security number,
    When I arrived at the appointment with all my documents and ID I was handed a train and ferry ticket to go home as I would be better off at home getting benefits excerpt I was working there full time and was renting a flat .

I believe it's common enough to hear on both sides of the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Her husband if from NI. He's an Irish born citizen with an Irish passport and the same rights to live in Ireland as any other Irish citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement