Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decorative gravel over tarmac

Options
  • 25-02-2016 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

Half our front drive is done in tarmac and the other half is grass
    I was thinking of edging off the borders and putting decorative gravel down on the tarmac.

Is there any sort of special work that needs to be done to the tarmac before I can chuck the gravel on it ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

RobAMerc wrote: »
    hi folks,

Half our front drive is done in tarmac and the other half is grass
    I was thinking of edging off the borders and putting decorative gravel down on the tarmac.

Is there any sort of special work that needs to be done to the tarmac before I can chuck the gravel on it ?

Thanks in advance

Yes you need to break it up, as the gravel won't be able to bed in and will easily shift and leave tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks - is there not a sand base layer we'd put down first that stops it moving about?
    I presumed it would bed down in this?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thanks - is there not a sand base layer we'd put down first that stops it moving about?
    I presumed it would bed down in this?

That's also an option, and a better option at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What would be the effect of heavy rain on gravel on sand? I would imagine if there is any sort of slope at all it will wash out the sand? I don't know, just something that occurs to me.

looksee wrote: »
    What would be the effect of heavy rain on gravel on sand? I would imagine if there is any sort of slope at all it will wash out the sand? I don't know, just something that occurs to me.

Yes sand probably would do, but I read sand to read hardcore (804) sub base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I think if you put the gravel on thick enough it will stay put. I was considering doing similar to an area of back yard.

Advertisement