Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Tank Repair Help Needed.

• 25-02-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi All,

My R6 (01) has developed a pin size hole on the RH side just at the seam of the tank. It isn't leaking badly at the moment but I'm worried that it will get worse and start dripping onto the frame and down towards the exhaust. Don't particularly want a fireball between my legs. :eek:

Has anyone successfully repaired a tank either by brazing/welding or using the likes of an epoxy (jb weld) to seal up the hole? Or is it the case that I will have to replace the tank?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it rusty inside the tank?
    Probably the best course of action is to use a tank sealer, there are a few different products, POR15 is widely available and will seal the pinhole leaks no problem.
    Drain tank, use a kit or electrolytic cleaning with a battery charger and then dry and seal the tank.
    Applying an external fix won't be as effective and I doubt that you'll find many people willing to braze a petrol tank to be honest.
    Have a look on youtube for tank sealers and you will get a good idea of what you may need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is it rusty inside the tank?
    Probably the best course of action is to use a tank sealer, there are a few different products, POR15 is widely available and will seal the pinhole leaks no problem.
    Drain tank, use a kit or electrolytic cleaning with a battery charger and then dry and seal the tank.
    Applying an external fix won't be as effective and I doubt that you'll find many people willing to braze a petrol tank to be honest.
    Have a look on youtube for tank sealers and you will get a good idea of what you may need.

From what I can see the tank looks in pretty good condition inside. Will look into the POR 15 sealer. I don't think there is many people around willing to tackle a tank repair by brazing/welding with the obvious dangers.

Can you recommend anywhere I could get the POR15 from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

From what I can see the tank looks in pretty good condition inside. Will look into the POR 15 sealer. I don't think there is many people around willing to tackle a tank repair by brazing/welding with the obvious dangers.

Can you recommend anywhere I could get the POR15 from?
    I got mine from Frosts in the UK.
    1 small can will do a tank easily.

Advertisement