Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone/Broadband service down........

Options
  • 25-02-2016 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi,
    I reported a fault in out service on 16th March (which I think was due to a contractor cutting hedges). I had a call from engineer on following day asking where problem was. I explained.
     As there was no sign signal coming back, I phoned on Wed and got message saying that it would be sorted within 4 days. I phoned again on Monday and was told by someone that it will not be looked at until 3rd March. I asked politely what is story regarding credit for my rental etc. I was told very abruptly that it was a third party fault and it's not Eir's problem.
      Luckily I hadn't moved everything such as TV to Eir. I was just about to do so.

Should I get some credit for no service for at least 2 weeks(including kids mid-term break:-(?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Jomcc wrote: »
    Hi,
    I reported a fault in out service on 16th March (which I think was due to a contractor cutting hedges). I had a call from engineer on following day asking where problem was. I explained.
     As there was no sign signal coming back, I phoned on Wed and got message saying that it would be sorted within 4 days. I phoned again on Monday and was told by someone that it will not be looked at until 3rd March. I asked politely what is story regarding credit for my rental etc. I was told very abruptly that it was a third party fault and it's not Eir's problem.

Should I get some credit for no service for at least 2 weeks(including kids mid-term break:-(?

Hi Jomcc

There is an obligation for eir to compensate in regards to delays in restoring service however when damage was caused by a third party eir do not compensate. This condition is approved and supported by the communications regulation authority (comreg) and details of which can be found here:  http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp where it specifically states:

Customer Service Guarantee
    eircom operates a customer service guarantee. The service guarantee states that where eircom does not meet targets in relation to installation and fault repair customers may be entitled to a rebate as follows:

Installation: if eircom fails to install a line within 10 working days of eircom agreement to do so the customer can claim a credit of two months free line rental.

The rebate refers to PSTN installation only.

Repair: if eircom fails to clear faults within 2 working days customers can claim the equivalent of two months line rental.

The eircom rebate refers to PSTN fault repairs only and it does not apply in the circumstances outlined below:
    • Extreme weather conditions (eg storm, lightening, flooding)
    • Serious damage to telecommunications equipment caused by a third party
    • When a customer is unavailable to have their fault repaired in two working days
    • When the customer agrees to an appointment date in excess of two working days
    • If the fault is diagnosed as a non-fault (e.g. line working when tested, fault not in eircom’s network)
    • Where a replacement telephone is dispatched by post
    • Internal wiring and teleccommunication equipment within the customer premises or a third party property
    [*]

Unfortunately longer delays will be expected in the event of a line cut.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi Jomcc

There is an obligation for eir to compensate in regards to delays in restoring service however when damage was caused by a third party eir do not compensate. This condition is approved and supported by the communications regulation authority (comreg) and details of which can be found here:  http://www.askcomreg.ie/tell_us/universal_service_obligation___what_it_means_for_your_phone_service.264.LE.asp where it specifically states:

eircom operates a customer service guarantee. The service guarantee states that where eircom does not meet targets in relation to installation and fault repair customers may be entitled to a rebate as follows:

Installation: if eircom fails to install a line within 10 working days of eircom agreement to do so the customer can claim a credit of two months free line rental.

Repair: if eircom fails to clear faults within 2 working days customers can claim the equivalent of two months line rental.

The eircom rebate refers to PSTN fault repairs only and it does not apply in the circumstances outlined below:
    • When a customer is unavailable to have their fault repaired in two working days
    • If the fault is diagnosed as a non-fault (e.g. line working when tested, fault not in eircom’s network)
    • Internal wiring and teleccommunication equipment within the customer premises or a third party property

[*]

Thanks
    Al
    [*]
    Thanks Al,

Does the fact that the line was just left running on the hedge.........not on poles, not underground make any difference to this get out clause? It was obviously installed as a temporary job years ago but was never corrected. While it was a third party who cut the wire, surely he shouldn't have been expected to find phone wires in the hedge. I recon the delay in the repair is due to fact that poles will have to be erected or trench dug.
    At this stage should I contact comreg with photos showing the wire running through the hedge?

Hi,

Hi Jomcc

[*]

Thanks
    Al

[*]
    Thanks Al,

Does the fact that the line was just left running on the hedge.........not on poles, not underground make any difference to this get out clause? It was obviously installed as a temporary job years ago but was never corrected. While it was a third party who cut the wire, surely he shouldn't have been expected to find phone wires in the hedge. I recon the delay in the repair is due to fact that poles will have to be erected or trench dug.
    At this stage should I contact comreg with photos showing the wire running through the hedge?
    [*]
    Hi Jomcc

Unfortunately the wire was ultimately cut by a third party and eir will not accept prior conditions as a mitigating factor. You can indeed follow this up with comreg if you wish. Their contact details can be found here: http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/contact_us.716.1047.html

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Hi,

Hi Jomcc

[*]

Thanks
    Al

[*]
    Thanks Al,

[*]
    Hi Jomcc

Unfortunately the wire was ultimately cut by a third party and eir will not accept prior conditions as a mitigating factor. You can indeed follow this up with comreg if you wish. Their contact details can be found here: http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/contact_us.716.1047.html

Thanks
    Al
    [*]
    Thanks Al.

Hi,

Hi Jomcc

[*]

Thanks
    Al

[*]
    Thanks Al,

[*]
    Hi Jomcc

Thanks
    Al

[*]
    Thanks Al.
    [*]
    No problem Jomcc

By the way, if you would like to PM me your eir account number I will note your urgency in having this resolved and hopefully this can speed thing up :)

Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement