Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects I could teach

Options
  • 25-02-2016 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I'm considering a career change and looking at the option of teaching. So just a few questions I'd like to ask I suppose. Would have done a fair bit tutoring in college and stuff and always enjoyed it so it has got me thinking towards at least considering teaching.

First a bit of backround. Did Commerce in university and did accounting and economics almost exclusively along with a few of the more general business ones that we had to do.

Also did an economics/finance masters.

So I suppose my questions are what subjects could I actually teach? Presume Accounting and Economics anyway but anything else? Business Studies? Did a few maths modules in college but I presume thats not enough to actually teach it?

And presuming nothing has changed in the few years since I left secondary school I presume that Economics and Accounting are fairly low in terms of student uptake so I presume these wouldn't be easy subjects to find a teaching post in?

How do I qualify to teach any other subjects apart from these?

I'm sure this stuff gets asked very often here but I couldn't find anything answering my questions so your help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

bkqwerty wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering a career change and looking at the option of teaching. So just a few questions I'd like to ask I suppose. Would have done a fair bit tutoring in college and stuff and always enjoyed it so it has got me thinking towards at least considering teaching.

First a bit of backround. Did Commerce in university and did accounting and economics almost exclusively along with a few of the more general business ones that we had to do.

Also did an economics/finance masters.

So I suppose my questions are what subjects could I actually teach? Presume Accounting and Economics anyway but anything else? Business Studies? Did a few maths modules in college but I presume thats not enough to actually teach it?

And presuming nothing has changed in the few years since I left secondary school I presume that Economics and Accounting are fairly low in terms of student uptake so I presume these wouldn't be easy subjects to find a teaching post in?

How do I qualify to teach any other subjects apart from these?

I'm sure this stuff gets asked very often here but I couldn't find anything answering my questions so your help is greatly appreciated.
    Look up the teaching council website and see if your degree I listed and if so for what subjects. You would need to do the now two year PGCE and its expensive. Finally jobs are very very scare so be warned !!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

You could teach Accounting, Business and Economics to Leaving Certificate Higher Level. Junior Cert Business Studies as well.

However, a note of caution is needed regards Job opportunities.

Jobs in this area are very scarce and there is a large surplus of Business Teachers.

It is very difficult to source employment in this area, but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

And while you are doing the teaching qualification you could up skill and try and become a Maths teacher by doing a few courses through the OU

Advertisement