Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000 euro gaming/compositing build.

Options
  • 25-02-2016 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Was trying to wait out the academic year before buying for a new build, but my PC exploding (yes, exploding) has forced me to buy sooner rather than later.

I need a machine that is good enough to handle post production for freelance photography & video editing, but I'd also like it to be a good machine for 1080p gaming (I play every kind of game but sport/racing).

1. What is your budget? 1000 euro roughly. I want a good balance of cost vs performance.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Compositing & editing (after effects, photoshop, vegas pro/premiere pro). Gaming (most AAA releases. I'd love to be able to play XCOM2, GTAV, Witcher3, MGSV & upcoming games in high or max settings in 1080p. I'll be doing some streaming also, but that's more of a hobby so I'm not concerned about it if it means increasing the budget.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No. I'd like to stick with Win 7 as long as I can.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No.

5. Do you need a monitor? Not at the moment. Have a 42" sony bravia to use. Later on I'll see about adding a good widescreen monitor.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Open to recommendation.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080. Possibly yes.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Keyboard & mouse suitable for gaming. Have a razer diamondback & logitech g15 currently. Will be looking to change them later on.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No.

8. How can you pay? Card.

9. When are you purchasing? ASAP. This weekend.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Dublin. Been a long time since I've done a build but should be fine.

DS posted up a great build when I was asking last year, never went ahead due to finance & all the links are out of date now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6500 €220
    H170 board €70
    16gb DDR4 €100
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Case €70
    500w PSU €60
    R9 390 €350
    Total €1010

Should be good I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

i5 6500 €220
    H170 board €70
    16gb DDR4 €100
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Case €70
    500w PSU €60
    R9 390 €350
    Total €1010

Should be good I believe

Looks good. Thanks again DS.

Parts from mindfactory & the case from elsewhere yea? Actually have a friend who might have a new case he doesn't need so could save a few quid for a mechanical keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Perhaps bump the 500W PSU to a 550W, just so the fan runs quieter on the PSU and you can overclock the GPU more.
    Also, if storage is a must (4+ drives) then you'll have to use the Z170 board, but I'd say you'd be ok.
    The Crucial BX200 240GB SSD is only €65, which could save you some cash.

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Perhaps bump the 500W PSU to a 550W, just so the fan runs quieter on the PSU and you can overclock the GPU more.
    Also, if storage is a must (4+ drives) then you'll have to use the Z170 board, but I'd say you'd be ok.
    The Crucial BX200 240GB SSD is only €65, which could save you some cash.

I'll probably upgrade to a 2tb & quieter is good. If I end up needing more drives I'll be earning enough to look at building a dedicated workstation.

components.jpg
    components_1.jpg

components_2.jpg

Thoughts on this? Anything I got wrong, or anything that could be done better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Looks good to me

Excellent. Going to place the order tomorrow, get her built over the Easter break.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

What price was all that if you don't mind me asking? In or around €1000?

Raekwondo wrote: »
    What price was all that if you don't mind me asking? In or around €1000?

€1136

Advertisement