Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 4, 5 & 6 - PS4 & XBOX1

Options
  • 25-02-2016 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Resi 4 would be great to play again, zero interest in playing the other 2 again. Between this and the remake of Resi 2, I wonder if any work at all is happening with Resi 7.

Shnakes as well putting the best one last.

Resi 6 - March 29th
    Resi 5 - Summer 2016
    Resi 4 - Fall 2016

Comments

4 is definitely worth another look for me I think :)

Not sure I like the fact it's last to be released though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As a long time Resi fan, I think a lot of the negativity around 5 is a bit hyperbolic. It wasn't as good as 4, but it wasn't as poor as 6.

That being said, I CNGF about a re-release of 5 or 6. Resi 4 on the other hand :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How many re-releases of 4 is this now? Seems like there's a new one every year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    How many re-releases of 4 is this now? Seems like there's a new one every year.

Ah, tis a classic though. Better than the some of the other 'HD remasters' of mediocre games.

Like Resi 6.

Actually that isn't right, Resi 6 is just utter ****e, not mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, at least 5 was enjoyable playing local co-op with o/h. We tried playing 6 and had to give up after Leon's section. Complete shyte.

there must be about 30 resi games now between remakes and upgrades but all I want is a remastered Resi 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

never played 4, might give it a look when its out, played 5 and quite enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I never liked 4. I loved the style of 1,2,3 and 4 went kind off banana for my liking. Then again I never played it when it was new, I only played it re-release.

5 was great crack couch Co op with buddy, but as a single player game it's ****ing horrible. Ai of your partner is retarded at best.

6... I managed to play it very very little before giving up on it, even alcohol and pizza didn't help for me and my buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I never liked 4.
    No one's perfect, ShadowHearth, don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a big fan of 4 either, loved 5 though, played it through a few times in co-op. Thought 6 was pretty enjoyable in co-op also, even though Leon's was the only really decent campaign.

Now here's the one that will really get me lynched...Resident Evil: Racoon City was under-rated in my opinion. Yes, the single player was pretty mediocre but entertaining, but the multi-player was excellent, I played a ton of it! Awesome having to fight an enemy team while both of you have to worry about zombies roaming the map. A very solid MP experience and most reviews glossed over that aspect of it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Will definitely pick up the physical American version of RE4 for the ps4, in the 'Fall'. I have RE5 Gold edition on PS3.

RE6 can go an sh!te, as I have it on download already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

And still no Biohazard Outbreak File #1/2... the only games in the series that could actually really benefit from a HD/Remaster to remove the loading screens and tighten up the online. I've played online again via emulation to PS2 players (wooh non-official cross-platform) but it's still a lot of effort to setup, maintain, hook up with friends etc. An 8th-gen/PC remaster is really what it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Poor old Resident Evil 3 is getting no love. We have RE:Zero, RE:HD already out, with RE2 remastered on the way, and now these three. I've never actually played 6, after hearing all the bad things, but having bought Zero and RE:HD, I may start a replay all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, at least 5 was enjoyable playing local co-op with o/h. We tried playing 6 and had to give up after Leon's section. Complete shyte.

there must be about 30 resi games now between remakes and upgrades but all I want is a remastered Resi 2.

Soon...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whats the idea behind releasing 6 first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Saving the best till last.:D

Hopefully releasing 6 first will show Capcom how bad it is from the sales.

Saving the best till last.:D

Hopefully releasing 6 first will show Capcom how bad it is from the sales.

Didn't capcom say, after its release, that RE6 was the best selling RE game in the franchise (even after all the terrible reviews)? RE5 was the second best selling. Think they said that in 2013 or there abouts.

I would think RE4 was/is the best selling since its on everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I bought a GC just for RE4 back in the day.

I would still reckon RE4 lifetime sales are far better than RE6.

RE5 is impossible for me to play without some else in co-op. Shiva's AI is game breaking, it's a job in itself just making sure she's not wasting ammo on weak targets. She actually makes the game harder just by being there.

I bought a GC just for RE4 back in the day.

I would still reckon RE4 lifetime sales are far better than RE6.

RE5 is impossible for me to play without some else in co-op. Shiva's AI is game breaking, it's a job in itself just making sure she's not wasting ammo on weak targets. She actually makes the game harder just by being there.

I think I have played RE4 on every console at this stage. Favorite version is the Wii version.

I see people say that about Shiva all the time. Just give her the rifle and she uses feck all ammo then and is not in the way at all.

I love RE5, great single player when played like that. Kinda underrated RE game even though it sold extremely well. Of course I would have loved if they released the original version of RE5 instead. Stupid SJW's of the time. Racism, it's set in Africa, duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

If they released 4 first, that's all people would need and wouldn't buy 5 or 6. Releasing 6 first might get a few sales for gimmicky/nostalgia reasons and to feed peoples fix until resi 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Didn't capcom say, after its release, that RE6 was the best selling RE game in the franchise (even after all the terrible reviews)? RE5 was the second best selling. Think they said that in 2013 or there abouts.

I would think RE4 was/is the best selling since its on everything?

To be honest no surprise there. Its still had resident evil legacy behind it to shift sales. I bet majority who bought it, never even played original Re games.

I think it's a bit unfair to compare sales like this. It would be more fair to calculate percentage of sales compared to players and console Base. As we know xbox 360 and ps3 sold Ton ****, add some pc sales to it. There will be more copies of crapy game sold then there were consoles when original Re games came out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not really a fair argument either, as a bad game is simply a bad game and sales will reflect that; a game isn't a bad game because it doesn't deliver what an older fan-base want.

It's no different than COD4 veterans moaning about how crap and gimmicky the COD series has become, but it doesn't stop it becoming the best selling game in history because it does deliver what the broad market does want.

Resident Evil 5 and 6 sold bucketloads because they appealed to a far wider base than the likes of Resident Evil 4 does. It doesn't mean it's a better game necessarily but it is what it is and it's certainly not a 'bad' game.

What you mean to say is that for you, it's a poor Resident Evil game, but I'd be surprised if many people could objectively say that it's actually a bad game in its own right.

I think I got about 60-70 hours out of it in co-op and mercenaries, not bad value for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just bought the origins pack with zero and the original on Friday. Good news for me as I never played 4 so will look forward to it, will probably get 6 too as haven't played it either and it's not exactly getting any love!

Looking forward to playing the original again during the week, been a long time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've gone about things the complete wrong way. While I played a bit of RE2 when I was younger I didn't get close to finishing it. It's only recently with REmake and playing RE2 and 3 on my vita that I've actually got around to playing most of the RE games.

So I've played it like RE4 - RE5 - REmake - RE2 - RE3. Now that I've done that you can really see how RE4 was the beginning of the end for the series in so many ways. Now RE4 is a great game (bar the island nonsense) but I don't look back at it fondly now that I've played RE1-3.

I actually had a blast with RE5, it's a lot of fun with a friend but RE6, I didn't even bother with it. I could tell from the footage that it looked like absolute trash. That demo with Leon running away from that endless explosion.. that was enough and I don't think this port will sway me either.

If REmake 2 sales well I wouldn't mind seeing them do the same for 3. That game is seriously unappreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved RE4 but 5 and 6 just seemed m'eh and got progressively further from what the series was about.
    In RE4 it was interesting, as well as a gripping action adventure but 5 and 6 just felt more like RE4:2 and RE4:3.
    Revelations, on the other hand, was far better balanced, played it on a 3DS with the control pad pro and it was fantastic, despite a certain lack of enemy types.
    Perhaps too the whole franchise has been left behind by the likes of Soma, made for less money and far more effective as a source of horror.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resident Evil 4 was classic Japanese game design at its finest. You had a bunch of mechanics and the game presented you with a large variety of set pieces that forced you to use those mechanics in interesting ways. It meant the game was constantly fresh. RE5 and 6 were just the same crap over and over again.

Capcom lost most of the RE4 talent since most of the team went on to Clover and then Platinum so I'm not sure Capcom could even replicate that magic again.

• Agree with the sentiment that RE 5 took some undeserved heat

Was a thoroughly enjoyable experience and one of the best coop games of last gen

Easily got 50+ hours out of it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Capcom_games

Not 100% accurate, but Resident Evil 5 has sold more than 6, definitely (and more than 3 console releases of RE4).

Both overtook Street Fighter II, which is why Capcom reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

if sales and profitability determine which are the best entries then the resident evil films are by far and away the peak of the series

and I would hope any fans of the series realize how ridiculous that would be

Don't care what anyone says, RE4 is a classic! So well made. Loved it. Played through it I don't know how many times. RE5, I really loved it, played through it loads as well, in single player, really enjoyed it, and the DLC too. RE6, ugh, played through Leon's part, was OK, started Chris's part, just too much, never went back to it. Maybe this this I will, only on a physical copy of course.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if they will be released individually in March, summer and autumn or as a compilation in the 'fall' in the Americas? Rather a compilation tbh.

Also, RE4 still looks good all these years later, but I do think it could do with a remake in the next few years, maybe for the 15th anniversary of RE4, most likely lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I got 1 on PSN, think it was like 8 euro when I got it on DL.

Not bad, me and the wife played it together ( how sad) and remember it from when we were younger. good game but looks terrible now and the autosave feature is non-existant

Advertisement